Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you pay for a cone skimmer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What would you be willing to pay for a sicce or askoll cone skimmer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [31.25%]
1 [6.25%]
5 [31.25%]
4 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you pay for a cone skimmer?
    Posted: March 11 2009 at 11:14pm
With a lot of new cone skimmers out and protein skimmer technology improving a bit, what would you be willing to pay for an internal cone skimmer capable of skimming from 100-500+ gallons heavy bioload.

Are you planning on upgrading protein skimmers in the next six months?

What protein skimmers are you considering/what is your budget for them?

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 11:42pm
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 11:46pm
Are the "under $200" voters aware they would be (hypothetically) paying for a cone skimmer - not a picture of a cone skimmer? Wink

I went w/  $500 - $750 because I couldn't stomach paying over a K for any skimmer unless I had a huge (like 500g +) system

Edited by BobC63 - March 27 2009 at 8:44am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 11:53pm
The MSX cones are the bomb! When things get going for me so I can set up my new tank I will be looking into a cone skimmer. Here is a good link about the MSX cones:

Plus the MSX cones are reasonably priced. If money was no issue I would go with the Korallen Zucht Revolution skimmer.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 7:22am
I think over $800 for some acrylic and a pump, no matter how well it works is crazy, in my size bracket. Now, if I had a 500 gallon tank, I think that would change.

I would also pay for quality over a cone shape, all things being similar.
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 7:44am
That new vertex/RE cone is really sweet, a deal considering they charge $850 for just the red dragon 1500 pump, an extra $149 and you get a nice skimmer.

The KZ revs used to be good skimmers, but honestly its a becket in a cone and are WAY overpriced IMO, but making molds etc takes a good chunk of change.

I've always got way too many ideas in my head and have looked into making a very capable cone skimmer in the $500-750 range. 
The pumps alone 2 sicces ($250) or askoll ($200+) is a big expense then you have to modify them from there.  The cone body depending on the size can be custom bent or seamless but will run around $200 as well.  Thats just for two components, bubbleplates, plumbing, neck and cup all add up. 
I can understand why the US made skimmers are more, looking at the price of some of the older octo's you can't even buy the acrylic to make it for what they're selling it for.

soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 10:24am
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1536745&perpage=25&pagenumber=19

This is a thread about a guy/fishstore/small company that is making a new cone called the I-tech.   For there price they look to be pretty reasonable, with some definite potential available once he works out all the kinks and stuff.   Prices range from 400-1000 for small medium and larges.  They seem pretty cool.

Right now i wouldnt pay more then 500-600 for a skimmer for my 200gallon.  And i would either find a reasonable skimmer like above mentioned i-tech. Or an ATB used or something.   For the six hundred dollar price i could potentially buy 2 x octo etreme with the dual sicce pumps on each.  Still figuring out what i want.   

For a large 400-600 gallon tank (which i have been dreaming about) I would spend 1000-2000 dollars for a skimmer no hesitation.
bimmerzs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bimmerzs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 4:11am
I received myI-Tech skimmer 2 day's ago,   I got their medium(Model 200) and installed the ATB pinwheel impeller. ATB on right, original impeller on left. This is two hours after installing it. *Note bubble size This is 24 Hours later, skimming wet here but backed off as it continued breaking in.  * Much smaller bubble size. 

This thing rock's already, can't wait till it is fully broken in.
Cheers,

Edited by bimmerzs - March 27 2009 at 4:15am
Ron C

150G CUBE,390W Custom 9 spectrum LED's, Bubble King Cone Skimmer, Vortech's, APEX handling full tank automation
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:15am
I've talked to john at I-tech a few times, they seem to be very good skimmers and have been working well.  I'm still not sure how I feel about their ratings because they are actually pretty small skimmers, other than the monster and 400 models.
Bimmerz, is that the ATB large purple pinwheel?  Have you gotten any air draw numbers from it yet?
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 12:13pm
Is this the one?? Look at that BEAST!

Edited by tazman1982 - March 27 2009 at 12:22pm
75 Reef
55 Reef

dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:58pm
taz,
Thats the ATB XXL, two laguna 4200 pumps, Retail on that sucker is $5500, pretty sweet.  Thats essentially what I'm building for our big tank, A long cone transition attached to about two feet of 24" acrylic tube.  It will sort of be like a giant version of the hurricone or the bubbleking supermarin.
The skimmers I would build would be nearly the same as the ATB large, with a 13" cone base.

For reference the small skimmer in that picture is still bigger than the I-tech 100 and the 200 i believe.
bimmerzs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bimmerzs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 2:19am
Originally posted by dew2loud1 dew2loud1 wrote:

taz,
Thats the ATB XXL, two laguna 4200 pumps, Retail on that sucker is $5500, pretty sweet.  Thats essentially what I'm building for our big tank, A long cone transition attached to about two feet of 24" acrylic tube.  It will sort of be like a giant version of the hurricone or the bubbleking supermarin.
The skimmers I would build would be nearly the same as the ATB large, with a 13" cone base.

For reference the small skimmer in that picture is still bigger than the I-tech 100 and the 200 i believe.

Cheers,
Ron C

150G CUBE,390W Custom 9 spectrum LED's, Bubble King Cone Skimmer, Vortech's, APEX handling full tank automation
bimmerzs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bimmerzs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 2:23am
Here is my Model 200(medium) next to a MSX250 (10" diameter) skimmer for reference.  Not a slouch by any means.
Cheers,

Edited by bimmerzs - March 28 2009 at 2:24am
Ron C

bimmerzs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bimmerzs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 2:30am
Well...If you talked to John then you realize he doesn't rate his skimmers by gallons, he recommend's a specific skimmer based on tank and bio-load.  I believe he reluctantly gave the model numbers based loosely on gallonage for the whiners that just couldn't get over the fact that you can't choose a skimmer strictly based on how many gallon's it is and discounting what's in that xxx gallon's. Wink  The ATB impeller is the purple one, I don't buy into the more air is better idea.  A skimmers performance is based on the proper mix of air and water in a specific volume(neck size also) to get the smallest bubble size possible in order to maximize contact size.  You also want to cut down turbulence in the body also to make the skimmer as efficient as possible in removing the "poo".....sometimes less is more.Shocked 

Cheers,

Edited by bimmerzs - March 28 2009 at 2:42am
Ron C

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic