Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie updated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie updated
    Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:03pm
 Hi all, my name is Jason. Im all new to salt water tanks, just got one 2 weeks ago, havent got it up and runing all the way yet. Still doing some research. Ive always wanted to go saltwater as long as I can remember. Right now I keep chiclids,I have a 55 gallon,45,20, and a 10 gallon.  Ive been into the hobby for at least the last 6 years.  My new tank is a 120 gallon that I want to set up salt water. I just found this forum in the last week and found that I have alot to learn, Ill be reading way back on alot of posts, well I just wanted to say Hi to everone, and thanks for the great forum.

Edited by jaschall - December 05 2009 at 9:47pm
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:14pm
Welcome jaschall! This really is a great forum and has be a tremendous help since I got into the hobby a year ago. 

120 is a great start, not too big not too small. Have you given your system any thought on what kind of tank you will have (ie fish only, full blown reef or everything in between)? 

Sculpin
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:25pm
Welcome!!!! Ask away and we will do our best to help!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:47pm
Welcome jaschall!

Mike

jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:58pm
well first Im trying to find some live rock for a good price, and I believe then I need to cycle my tank, still in the learning of this all. Then, correct me if Im wrong please start out with some snails, and see how things go. Then add some fish, I want corals also but I think I need to get a better light.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 9:11pm
What kind of lighting do you have for it right now or have you not purchased any yet? 

There are probably a million things to learn and about a million different ways to accomplish your goal of having a killer reef tank. What helped me out tremendously was reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. It gave me a good birds eye view of the whole hobby and things I really should know and look out for. Another book that has some great information about coral (but not really a good first book to read) is Aquarium Coral by Eric Bornemen. It's got needed information and covers almost all the corals typically available at your Local Fish Stores (LFS) along with detailed husbandry. 

You have a interesting road ahead of you and remember not to rush in too fast. Take your time, learn all you can from the pros, and you should be well on your way.

Good luck.

Sculpin

dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 11:56pm
Welcome Jaschall!
Like Dion said.......ask away. I'd also say see other members' tanks, several if you can. We all like to have visitors to talk fish with. You can learn a lot by seeing other set ups in action.
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
kgross View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 3:59pm
Here is my suggestion to you Jaschal.
Before you start purchasing any items (other than rock/sand) you need to decide what types of corals you want to keep in your tank. The lighting, water flow and skimmer selections need to be partially determened by what corals you want to keep.  With that said.

My first suggest would be to look at a lot of tanks, you can see quite a few by.

Hitch a ride up to the IMAS Reef tour and see tanks that are setup and get ideas on what to do.

For live rock, you are lucky you can do 1/3 to 2/3 of your rock as dead lake Bonneville Tuffa Rock (LBTR) saving you a lot of money, then get some decent rock.  For your sand bed, you can also use the oolthic GSL sand saving quite a bit of money.

Kim Gross

grateful1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grateful1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 1:01am
Welcome, Jason! I am pretty new to the hobby myself (I have had my 37 gallon up for almost a month), and, being a newb myself, I will probably not put forward much technical advice, but I can recommend doing a few things:

1. Read all you can. It sounds like you are on the right track here, and you have found a great resource in WMAS. Everyone is really nice and eager to help. I have found a bunch of conflicting opinions, but once you've read a few thousand threads, talked to a bunch of people, and maybe gotten a few books, you can start to decide what you want your own style to be, and then you'll know how to proceed.
2. Visit some people's houses and check out their set-ups. I know everyone tells you to do that, but there is a reason for that. It's because a lot of people have cooler set-ups than the LFS and they are way nicer. Sure, it's a tad awkward when you first meet, but it's completely worth it.

Welcome!
Scott
37g reef.
Frag tank in progress.
(801) 403-4006.
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:53pm
If you need Live rock check on the board.  People all the time are selling live rock on here.  As for a fish store Aquatic Dreams in Layton has Cured Live rock for a good price.  

I also want to welcome you to the club.  If you need anything let me know and I will try and help myself.  I was recently Tank of the Month for Feb so you can take a look and some awesome pictures by Mike.  Have fun and one tip for you: GO SLOW!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 10:58pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 9:24am
Welcome Jason!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 10:08pm

ok, so far I have added water, salt, and sand to my tank. I mix  the water and salt in a 20 gallon tank then pumped into my 120 gal. tank which took a few hours. The sand I got was used and had been sitting for some time, so I figured it was no longer live sand, hope I am right. I washed it out befor putting into the tank. Then I also went a got a 20 pound bag of live sand form the store and added into the tank. Sunday I headed out west and picked up some lbtr, took that and power washed it then put it into the tank. Im still looking for some live rock to add to it all but havent been able to find any for a good deal. I just might  have to pick a little up at the lfs to get me going for now. Maybe I can post a pic tomorrow of what I  have done so far. Thanks for all the help and info. you guys have been great Big smile

jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

What kind of lighting do you have for it right now or have you not purchased any yet? 
The lighting I have seems to really suck, I think they are 48inch long and only 45 watts each, two of them. So I am also looking to get some new lights also, Ive been looking around and man them things cost alot.
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 8:32pm

well after having my tank setup since march I ending up having some major set backs. A few months back late at night i noticed my tank was leaking Cry I was up tell 3am emptying it out. One good thing was it just started to leak.  I was able to save half the liverock and some coral and the few fish i had which i put in a 55 gallon tanks i had that was empty at the time. The ligths I have  on the 55 are just for fresh water so ive lost most coral. So Ive was just going to get out of SW.  Well I decided not to and just resealed my 120 tank a few days ago. I just filled it with water to test it and things are looking good so far. So I was wondering if I should keep it filled for a couple hours or days befor Im sure its not going to leak again.  I really loved having a salt water tank, enjoyed it very much.  I plan on setting it back up this weekend I hope,  wish me luck. I will also be looking for some coral after things are running smooth if anyone has some for a deal let me know.  

kgross View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 8:38pm
I would suggest leaving it for a couple of days myself, and also check to make sure you stand is completely flat.  It is very rare for a tank to start leaking, without extra stress caused by an uneven stand.

Kim

Ex-IMAS Vice President
www.idahoreefs.org

Kim's Reefs and Aquatics Owner
www.jensaltwaterhaven.com
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 9:04pm
yes it wasnt completely level , which I was thinking that was the cause also. There was also a rough spot about 2 inches long in the seal that didnt look to good.  learn from your mistakes, so If you are just setting up a new tank make sure its level
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 9:18pm
here is a pic when I first got my tank, and a pic now. Cant seem to find any pics when it was set up.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by kgross kgross wrote:

I would suggest leaving it for a couple of days myself, and also check to make sure you stand is completely flat.  It is very rare for a tank to start leaking, without extra stress caused by an uneven stand.

Kim

Good advice. I agree.

Mike

jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 2:36am
still holding water Smile as of today, so I decided to drain it and fill it with it back up with some salt water, added some live sand, live rock, and some dead fuji rock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic