FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOW skimmer mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOW skimmer mod
    Posted: March 22 2009 at 7:23pm
Well I was just sitting around today so I thought that I would do all of the mods on my ASM skimmer.  First I built the gate valve mod for it after reading all about it and ordering up a gate valve that took forever to get.  Next was the mesh mod on the pump.  It was very easy to do and only took me about 15 mins to do it.  I put them all back together and fired it up.  I cant belive how small the bubbles are in the body of the skimmer.  And how many there are to.  Almost right away my skimmer cup started to fill up with the dark green slime that goes in there.  All I can say is if you have a ASM skimmer do the mods for it you will love how well it will do for you.
dmcrete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 7:48pm
Very Cool,
i need to learn how to mod the impellor??
any pics??
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 7:56pm
no pics sorry.  I went of the sea star news letter that has pictures on how to do it.  I only went 3 layers and not 4 like it talks about.
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 8:43pm
I only did 3 layers when I bought my mesh I bought enough to do several mods dmcrete you should stop by with your pump and buy some corals while I mesh mod your skimmerWink
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 8:56pm
I need to re-mesh mod my ASM, when my pump went out last year the impeller basically welded itself inside of the pump housing and I couldn't get it out. 
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 8:08am
Just an FYI that the impeller meshmod can be done - with equally impressive results - on any skimmer that uses a NW (needlewheel) pump...

And yes, the difference in bubble output is like night and day...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 8:50pm
Except where the pump is already designed for maximum output using pinwheels- then the output increase is modest.
dmcrete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by sanddune600 sanddune600 wrote:

I only did 3 layers when I bought my mesh I bought enough to do several mods dmcrete you should stop by with your pump and buy some corals while I mesh mod your skimmerWink

i should come see you andy,, i was headed there saturday, and got in a bad snow storm, had to turn around,,
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 9:35pm
Sorry to bring back an old post!

Can i mesh mod a Nautilus TE skimmer????
Chance Evans
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 11:17pm
pretty sure you can kiltboy. do you know what pump it has? doesn't matter, you can mesh mod any pump. i need to redo mine. maybe someone reading this knows where to get PF4 mesh?
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 11:14am
I have a rio 2100 on it 700 gph! Ok so next rookie question is how do you do a mesh mod???
Chance Evans
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic