Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March 2009 TOTM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 2009 TOTM
    Posted: March 23 2009 at 12:56am
Sorry for the Delay. Between expanding into another building and having caught the dang FLUEDead Ive been out of it for a while. Again please accept my apologies.

Edited by Dion Richins - March 23 2009 at 1:29am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 1:26am

This is an absolutely beautiful work of Art!! The color pallet represented in this tank is truly a master piece.

It would take half a page just to list the fish that are thriving in the awesome tank.

We can't forget Connie's other pets. Remember "She isn't afraid to use them"

Please feel free to ask Connie any and all questions you may have. This is meant to be an interactive forum where owners can interact and answerer the questions you may have.

It was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to meet Connie and see her awesome tank. If you have the opportunity I would highly recommend it.
As always a special Thanks to Mike Savage with his awesome photography skills.

Edited by Dion Richins - March 23 2009 at 1:28am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 8:47am
What an AWESOME tank!

Mike

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 9:15am
For those who don't know Connie... I'll just tell you this isn't a surprise.  She has always had amazing tanks.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 9:27am
I agree, she takes great pride in her tanks and it shows.
Great job Connie.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 3:03pm

Dion, glad that your better.  Connie I'd love to have a tank like yours.  I have a question.  What kind of Dosing or additives do you use in your tank?

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 3:27pm
Really none, It gets most of its nutrience from my food. I dose B-Ionic when I remember usually once a week. Lugols weekly and I change my carbon every week, two full cups.

Edited by Connie - March 23 2009 at 3:47pm
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 4:42pm

Connie your tank looks great =) I'd still love to see it in person one day

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 5:01pm
I love to show it off. Your more than welcome to stop by.

Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 5:19pm
Tell/show us more about your sump setup... 
Home of the baby Picasso!
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 6:34pm
No real pics of it.  I have a 90 gallon tank plumed in the basement. Run R/D 12 on 12 off, Auto top off, 70 gallons of water in the sump, two skimmers that run 24/7 in a 5 gallon bucket, 8 diff macros and mangroves. I keep a Kleins butterfly to keep pests down and have a black clown to keep it company. I have 80lbs live rock and a 5 to 6 inch sand bed.  I alos run a 1200 mag to keep the top of the water broken.

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 9:16pm
This is an AWESOME tank and more than worthy of TOTM.

I am so impressed that I too would like more info on your fish room set up and your regular practices/best practices.

Lastly, Mike, is there any way to have the original sized full tank shot (on all TOTM) linked so we can download it and zoom around on it?
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 7:32am
I'm not sure what you mean by fish room set up. Its in my family room with constant traffic. I walk by the tank and the fish come running. I think my success is due to several things.
1st. I never put anything in that does not have exceptional color.
2nd. The over use of carbon, I buy this on-line. It is a small ganual and a higher quality than you can find locally, I never let my lights get over 10 months old, and excessive flow and skimming.
3rd. 55 gallon water changes every month.
4th. Hand feeding my fish a high quality food everyday.

The tank zoom would be cool. Most of my really nice pieces you cant see.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Edited by Connie - March 24 2009 at 7:45am

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 8:55am
Sorry for the misunderstanding. By fish room I meant the area (basement) where you have your sump and other equipment. I thought I heard someone post or say it was not in the cabinet.

Also, do you run uv, ozone, phosban, etc.

Thanks
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 9:31am
OH,

Yes it is in the basement. I have a tri-level home. The basement is a 1/2 basement and the stand for the sump is 48 inches. The head height is only about 6 feel to get it back into the main tank, about the same as an instand set up. I put blankets around the tank in the winter and remove them in the summer, no chiller needed.

Since all the plumbing is in the basement and its not finnished, doing a water change is a breeze. I just run a hose to the drain. I can change out 55 gallons of water in about 10 mins.  It also makes having the two skimmers easy. I have no problem reaching them and am able to run them into a 5 gallon bucket. I only need to empty the bucket about twice a month.

I did forget to mention I run a canister filter with the return hooked up to a sea swirl. I also clean the canister every Thursday and thats when I change the carbon.  I do not use any special filters, just rinse the ones I have well. 

I do not run a uv or any other type of sterilizer.

My lighting is also non flashy. Its a 4 foot light strip with grow bulbs from Lowes, new bulbs every 6 months.

Edited by Connie - March 24 2009 at 9:34am

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

Lastly, Mike, is there any way to have the original sized full tank shot (on all TOTM) linked so we can download it and zoom around on it?

I posted it in a separate thread because it is large and you will have to scroll around to see things. You can find it here: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32226

Mike

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 11:01pm
I cannot believe all of that is growing and thriving with grow lights from Lowes!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 11:27pm
Only the sump has grow lights from Lowe's. The tank is lit by 2- 250w mh and 1-400w mh. With 2 t5 supplements.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 11:13am
More flying monkeys!!

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 9:43pm
AWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Flying Boston Monkeys! My favorite kind! <3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic