Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

April Meeting Recap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April Meeting Recap
    Posted: April 03 2009 at 1:35pm
Date: April 2nd, 2009
Attendance: 102 adults

SPS Made Simple
Frank Burr (Coral Reef Oasis)

TOTM-
We started the night with a Tank of the Month Presentation.  This month we featured Charlie Hastings amazing tank.  (I'll post a link here to that thread when available)

Awards-
The WMAS was proud to recognize one of our local stores.  On this night we presented our first Gold Star award to a local store.  Club PR rep Shane Heil came forward to present the award to Aquatic Dreams.  Aquatic Dreams, and their owner Ryan Vickers, were presented this award for their continued support of the hobby and the club.  Aquatic Dreams has donated over $2,000 worth of donations to the club, offered discounts to club members, advertised club events, and has frequently sent their customers to the club for help and advice.

Announcements-
We had some awesome raffle items!!!!  Thanks to Coral Reef Oasis, Reef Kingdom, Connie Perkins for their amazing donations.
Upcoming events include the Marine Aquarium Expo this weekend.
HUGE LOCAL STORE POKER TOUR coming up in 3 weeks.
Geological History of Coral Reefs in May. 

SPS Made Simple-
We were pleased to have Frank Burr from the Coral Reef Oasis joining our club.   
Frank has over 25 years experience in keeping marine aquaria.  He owns and operates a coral farm as well as a retail store.  Frank is known for having the creme of the crop when it comes to rare/exotic/beautiful corals.  He specializes in growing limited edition corals for the hobby market.

Franks Main Points
Quarantine- quarantine everything!  It doesn't matter what it is, quarantine anything that will go in your tank. (Frank spent a lot of time going over this with some of us before the meeting)
But the best at first- don't buy a small skimmer with the idea of buying a better skimmer down the road.  Just make one purchase and save yourself the hassle and extra money by not buying twice.
Lighting- while not clear cut, Frank states that he's seen much better growth and color from metal halides.  They are still the preferred lighting system in the hobby.
No water changes- don't do it.  Or only do a little bit here and there.  Just let it be stable and don't change water in your tank!
Filter socks- work great, but you must change them every single day.  He even recommends using them for only a few hours at a time when cleaning.  Don't let them sit in there for multiple days.
Test it- before you add anything to your tank, test for it!  Don't add buffer without testing your alkalinity.  Don't add magnesium without testing first.  Always test, then add.
Don't change it- don't add new pumps, don't change skimmers, don't add new lights.  All of these things make the system unbalanced and can stun the corals.  Just get it set where you want it, and keep it right there.
If it ain't fixed- again if your tank looks great, don't do anything to it!  Don't try out the newest gadget.  Don't add a new powerhead.  Don't try out a new skimmer.  If it is working well leave it alone.  If you really have to tinker and play... set up another tank.

Thanks again to everyone who came to the meeting.  And a special Thank You to Frank Burr.

Adam
Next Meeting: Holiday Social
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 1:41pm
No water changes- don't do it.  Or only do a little bit here and there.  Just let it be stable and don't change water in your tank!

YEA!!!! I guess i am not a total idiot for doing this. Glad someone else shares my opinion on this.
75 Reef
55 Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 1:43pm
Great presentation as well. I am glad the Club could book him.
75 Reef
55 Reef

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 6:40pm
Looks like I missed a great meeting Unhappy

Wife's been sick - had to take off work Monday, couldn't take off again Thursday

I'll be there for the  May meeting, though!

- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by tazman1982 tazman1982 wrote:

YEA!!!! I guess i am not a total idiot for doing this. Glad someone else shares my opinion on this.

What did Frank recommend instead of WCs? Trace element - type dosing?

And did he say never do WCs -  or "stretch them out", meaining like once every 6 months change a little instead of doing them once a month or more..?

Just curious - I knew I missed out!
- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
TriggerHappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 6:58pm
Did anyone else notice that Frank said to test for potassium?  I've never worried about it.  How do you test for it?

It was a great presentation, thanks Frank for the awesome frags too!
T-r-i-double gha-er

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 7:33pm
BobC63: he said he only does them when he takes water out for fragging.
and to keep the suplements in the tank at good levels. (so dosing is required.. I use Fuel personaly!)
I do the same, If I give a gal or 2 to someone I will have to add new SW but that is it.

75 Reef
55 Reef

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 8:13pm
Some of the info on water changes flies in the face of what Anthony Calfo told us. I think that water changes are just fine, and I don't agree that he said to not do them. What I heard was an opinion to do smaller, more frequent water changes, which is what I subscribe to, if possible.
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 11:28pm
 I am with frank, i don't do water changes, just top off.  And he talked about water changes with some types of tanks, but he hasmany of his personal tanks that he never does water changes to.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Member~ A.A.A. ( Aquarium Addicts Anonomous)
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 12:34am
A few questions I wish I would have asked, or may have missed....

Was Carbon or Phosban used on his systems or recomended?

and What product did he say he used to dip all incoming corals?

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 1:16am

I'm pretty sure he uses carbon and the coral dip is Tropic Marin Pro coral cure.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 1:21am
I think either ZeoVit or Elos makes Potassium test kits. ZeoVit users watch potassium almost as much as calcium and alkalinity.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 6:44am
Carbon once a month if I rember right. And no other media. He said if ur system is stable u don't need other media other then carbon.
75 Reef
55 Reef

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 10:19am
I do water changes at least every month. . . true they are a pain in the butt.  But I believe it's more beneficial than harm
tropoasis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropoasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Corey Price Corey Price wrote:

Some of the info on water changes flies in the face of what Anthony Calfo told us. I think that water changes are just fine, and I don't agree that he said to not do them. What I heard was an opinion to do smaller, more frequent water changes, which is what I subscribe to, if possible.

Yes, Corey, you are correct. I didn't say (or mean to imply) no water changes. That is something I have experimented with sucessfully for my Self Sustaing systems. In a SPS system water changes are necessary but do make them smaller and more often.

"Person with large reef tank.....have small wallet"
tropoasis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropoasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by NickinSandy NickinSandy wrote:

A few questions I wish I would have asked, or may have missed....

Was Carbon or Phosban used on his systems or recomended?

and What product did he say he used to dip all incoming corals?

I use carbon in my systems for short periods every month in a phosban reactor. I myself do not use Phosban or such. Just carbon

And yes, I use Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure as a dip for all corals, just vary the exposure time depending on the type of coral.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 3:16pm
Frank,  Which spectrapure ro/di  unit would you recommend for a 300 gallon system, full of fish and sps?

Edited by tileman - April 04 2009 at 3:17pm
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
TriggerHappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by tropoasis tropoasis wrote:

I use carbon in my systems for short periods every month in a phosban reactor. I myself do not use Phosban or such. Just carbon

But you also use O3, correct?  I always thought that carbon was a 24/7 thing with O3?  Right now I run fresh carbon every 5 days in a phosban reactor...do I not need to do that?

TIA

T-r-i-double gha-er
tropoasis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropoasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Frank,  Which spectrapure ro/di  unit would you recommend for a 300 gallon system, full of fish and sps?

I myself use the

http://www.spectrapure.com

It produces 100 gal per day and would be more than adequate for your system

Thanks

Frank

tropoasis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropoasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Camarofish Camarofish wrote:

Originally posted by tropoasis tropoasis wrote:

But you also use O3, correct?  I always thought that carbon was a 24/7 thing with O3?  Right now I run fresh carbon every 5 days in a phosban reactor...do I not need to do that?

TIA

I haven't started using Ozone myself yet but I do have plans on impementing for a couple of my larger systems in the next month or 2

Frank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic