Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

April 2009 TOTM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April 2009 TOTM
    Posted: April 03 2009 at 10:37pm

Edited by Dion Richins - April 03 2009 at 10:44pm
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 11:15am
Did you guys get any pictures of the sump setup in the basement? This is one of the coolest systems I have seen. I don't think I've seen coraline plate like that anywhere else, that is awesome!

And the chickens!
90g Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 12:18pm
I'll see what I can find.

Mike

jessedidthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessedidthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 12:21pm
yeah, I would really be interested in seeing the sump and whatnot.
Jesse Stewart
chastings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chastings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 12:45pm
Thanks Dion and Mike for your great presentation
 We were really busy with a photography seaminar the day Mike was taking pictures for totm, and I'm not sure he got a photo of the other 1/2 of the system, so i"ll do a little clean up today and post some pictures of my sump and frag tank. 
 I really wouldn't have the tank that I do without the club.  It's been a great resource over the years and though I'm not a very prolific poster, I've spent many hours reading from all the opinions on the boards and putting the ideas i've found here to work in my tank.  It's also got a great community feeling that I enjoy being a part of.  It's great to be highlighted as this communities TOTM, and anyone that has an interest in seeing my tank, please feel free to contact me about stopping by anytime.
 As I mentioned after the presentation at the meeting, I'm going to be testing the waters for a business venture.   It seems that over the years I've gone through hundreds of little tubes of super glue, and sometimes it takes almost an entire tube to get a single frag attached.  Excessive packaging is one of my pet peeves, so I'll be selling 1oz, 2oz and 4oz bottles of superglue, with a nice pin cap to cut down on mess and keep the glue fresh.  The 1oz size contains the equivilent of 14 - 2 gram tubes, making it a huge value @ just $5.00.  More to come on this later, I hoping that I can count on this reef keeping communities support.
 Thanks,
 Charlie

Edited by chastings - April 04 2009 at 12:51pm
801-573-5107

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 1:00pm
That sounds like a great product Charlie!

Mike

chastings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chastings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 10:50am
Here's the wide shot all of it

Sump and Refugia

Frag tank, phyto and tigger pods, as well as seedlings for my garden this year

frag tank

801-573-5107
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 9:23pm
This set up is something you really have to see in life to take it all in.
chastings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chastings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 9:56pm
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it!  Are those maxi jet mods working out for you?
801-573-5107
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 10:12pm
You really have an awesome setup, Charles Clap

And your basement "sump room" is sweet! StarStarStar

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 10:40pm
I really appreciate the "back room" photos of what makes the display so nice. I love also hearing the stories behind the tank owners. What they learned, how they learned it, how it evolved, etc.

Just curious Charlie, is the glue any different than the Coralfix gel stuff you can get in the big bottles, does it work any better for adhering frags? Have you seen the new coraline colored cyano glue?
chastings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chastings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 10:15am
 It's exactly the same as the CorAfix, only a lot cheaper Thumbs Up
 I really need to see if it's a viable business just the way it is.  If it proves to be a worthwhile endeavor, I'll look into adding a pigment that has that nice purple coraline color.
 All of the CorAfix that I can find costs about $14 for a 2oz bottle and you if you buy it online you need to pay $3 - $4 shipping.  Mine will be $9 for a 2 oz bottle, and for $14, you can get 4oz, and you get to support one of your fellow club members Smile
801-573-5107
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 10:26am
I actually saw Charlie's tank a few weeks ago.  I also must testify that you need to see his tank and entire system in person to really appreciate all the cool stuff.  I think his sump and refugium set up is as nice as any I have ever seen.  I love his DIY stuff he has done.  He has a bunch of really nice frags down there as well.  I think I told you when I was there but I will tell you again, Charlie you have a beautiful tank, fish and corals.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
chastings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chastings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 10:10am

My first order of frag glue is in!!
This is a preliminary label that i'm working on, thanks again to Mike Savage for permission to use your awesome picture!
I have  1oz, 2oz, and 20 gram tubes available, I can ship also!
Let me know if anyone is interested.
 Thanks,
 Charlie

Edited by chastings - April 09 2009 at 10:13am
801-573-5107
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 2:10pm
I'm a little late to this post (sorry), but I also have to give kudos to Charlie for his beautiful tank. I agree that seeing it in person is just that much better. Not only the tank and inhabitants but the sump room and beautiful piece of furniture that surrounds it. He has really incorporated it into the house well with the matching wood. As a whole......AWESOME.
I also have to say that Charlie and his wife were (still are I'm sure Wink) incredibly nice people too.
Charlie.....I'd be interesed in some glue as well but I'm not sure when I can make it back up there. I'll grab some from you later
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 5:31pm

Charlie,

The label looks great but why the dot between the 2 and "oz"?

Mike

chastings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chastings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 7:15pm
Thanks Darren, it was nice meeting you too! 
 I plan on bringing a bunch of glue to the meetings and selling them there as I don't think that super glue is something people are willing to drive long distances for.
 Thanks for the editing work Mike Thumbs Up, luckily it's still preliminary and hasn't been printed in any quantities yet, but I have to admit, I didn't see it.  My brother worked it up for me, so I'll have him fix it.

801-573-5107
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 3:27pm
Charles tank is awesome =) some of my favorite frags came from there..  congrats on totm by the way !

Edited by NickinSandy - April 12 2009 at 3:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic