Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Way 10 Month Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Way 10 Month Update
    Posted: April 06 2009 at 8:50pm

Hi, My name is Burt and I recently joined WMAS.

I have always wanted a reef system since first seeing one back in the 60s. Back then they always seemed too expensive, too difficult, and beyond my ability. I raised african ciclids back then as they were the closest thing to reef fish I could afford. I left the hobby after getting married but always figured I would get back into it when my life settled down. I have come to know that life never settles down and at 52 I am now getting back into the hobby.

It all started when my father wanted to start a reef system in February this year. The last year has been hard on him as he contracted pancreatic cancer went through a terrible surgery and is now recovering. Since dad can't do as much as he used to he decided keeping a reef would give him something to occupy his time. He asked me for my help which putting a reef together. We started looking for an appropriate system for his use and eventually selected a Red Sea Max 130D reef system. We selected this system because everything was designed into the system in a compact package.

My job was to research the project and dad supplied the capital. The one thing that drove dad crazy was all the waiting for the tank to cycle, live rock to cure, etc. He kept telling me that he would be dead before the sytem was up and running. Fortunately this was not the case and he now has a nice reef that he is enjoying.

Helping dad with his reef was like giving an alcoholic a drink. I was hooked and decided I wanted a reef of my own. I was reading an article in one of the online reef magazines that addressed my feelings of a lack of time or finances. The author said basically that the only way to get started was to get started. I travel for business 3+ days a week so I needed a system that would take care of itself while I was away with little outside assistance so I started researching automation systems for reef tanks. The cost was beyond my budget constraints so I decided that I would have to automate my system with simple timers and do it yourself solutions.

As I researched and planned my system I came across a system that caught my attention. It is called the Hiatt System. This system promised a simple solution to reefkeeping with a quick setup and the ability to cycle the tank in 24 hours. It seemed too good to be true so I started researching it in more detail. I found a few threads on message boards regarding the system. They were all by distributors of the porduct trying to prove their system. They all met with lots of opposition from the established reefers and quickly became a mud slinging match which caused the thread to be pulled. It appeared that the system might work but I couldn't find any long term evidence that its benefits could be long term.

I had almost decided to go the traditional rout when I was referred to Stan and Debbie Hunter from about.com. I contacted them and to my surprise they answered my e-mail. I expressed my frustration trying to validate the system and that I hadn't been able to find a LFS or Person using the system in my areas that I could speak to or see a tank running the system. Stan told me that he had used the system to rescue a failing shark tank for Animal Kingdom in S. Carolina as well as improve the systems in a LFS. He told me that the product did in fact work and gave me specific information on setting up my system.

With their encouragement I decided to try it out. Like my father I decided to use a nono reef. I selected a JBJ nano 28G with Compact Fluorescent lighting. It took me about 3 weeks to gather all the parts to automate the tank and test the system. Here is what I put into the reef.

JBJ Nano 28G Compact Fluorescent Nano Cube.
JBJ 1/15 hp chiller.
150 watt heater
Red Sea Max Starter Kit (includes everything necessary to setup a 30G Nano)
Timers from Home depot to automate lighting and pumps
Ehiem Autofeeder
JBJ Wave Maker
JBJ ATO
MaxiJet 1200

My wife wants to me to take her out so I am going to have to quit for now. When I return I will tell you a little about the Hiatt system and how the setup went.

Back in a while.

Edited by bfessler - January 28 2010 at 6:34pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 9:05pm
cool glad you took the plunge
and welcome to the club
out with the large and in with the nano
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 9:06pm
Well welcome to the WMAS! and I think thats awesome that your helping out your dad. Just remember that this is a hobby of patience. I've only found that going too fast with just about anything (except dealing with certain kinds of infections) will only result in problems. Haste makes waist right?

Your set up sounds pretty tight but I'm not sure why you would need the chiller. Most CP bulbs don't put out too much heat but I've never owned a JBJ Nano. 

Well good luck and when you get back I hope you'll fill us in on this Hiatt System.

Sculpin
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:04pm

Hi Sculpin,

Thanks for the advice. The chiller is for use in the summer when I have to leave town on business. This way I don't have to run the AC while I am away.

I don't want to go into great detail about the Hiatt system but if anyone is interested you can visit majesticreefs.com. This site has lots of details about the Hiatt system. Basically the Haitt System consists of a combination of bacterias that live in a carbon bed. The bacteria is called Right Now bacteria, the recommended carbon is Tri-Base Carbon. They also recommend a rock they call PH Rock for maintaining PH levels with the system. The Right Now bacteria replicates very rapidly which allows the tank to be stocked almost immediately.

I also wanted to have a zero impact reef so I opted for a cultured reef rock called Vida Rock and seeded my system with 7 lbs of Garf Grunge over about 2" of arogonite sand. The setup went as follows.

After testing the system for 1 week with fresh water I mixed up the salt mix that came in the starter kit and added the Vida Rock. Next I pur 1.5 Lbs of Tri Base Carbon in 2 filter bags and added them to the overflow. When everything tested out correctly I went to the LFS and purchased 1 live rock and 3 Green Cromis. I placed the Live Rock and Fish into the tank then dosed it with the Right Now Bacteria. I installed a SeaChem Ammonia Alert so that I could easily monitor ammonia levels and tested the water daily for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

Day 1 and 2 All tests registered 0 and my Garf Grunge also arrived on day 2 so I added it to the tank. I would recommend doing this before adding livestock to the tank because after adding the grunge my tank looked like mudd. Fortunately the next day the water had cleared and all tests still registered 0. Encouraged by this I decided to add some additional livestock to the tank.

Day 3 I added 2 medium size Clownfish and a Hammer Coral. The next day I noticed a slight rise in ammonia (.035) as well as a small increase in Nitrite (.02) and Nitrate (5). I setup a QT just incase the tank continued to deteriorate. On Day 5 Ammonia was stable at .035 but Nitrites had risen to .5 and Nitrate had dropped to 2.5. What was worse is that I had to leave the next day on business. I did a 20% water change and noticed that when I added the garf grunge the fine silt had covered the filter baggs containing the carbon. Since the bacteria live in the carbon I thought that this may be the reason for elevated ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the system. I pulled one of the filter baggs and cleaned the carbon in fresh RO water then returned it to the overflow. Reluctantly I left on my business trip and asked my father to come by and monitor the tank.

When I returned 3 days later I performed water quality tests and was releaved to find that Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all 0. The tank is now 14 days old and the water is still testing 0 for all 3 tests. Tank inhabitents are now 2 Clownfish, 3 Green Cromis, 1 Hammer Coral, 20 Snails, and 15 Hermit Crabs.

My budget is exhausted so no new occupants are planned in the near future but I hope to slowly add corals to complete the aquascape. The Hiatt system seems to be working as claimed and my most current tests are as follows.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.4
Alk 9.5 dKH
Calcium 550
Magnesium 1240
Salinity 1.025

Here are some pics of the tank

If anyone is interested I would be happy to post periodic updates of the progress of the tank using the Hiatt system.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:30pm
I did a little google'n on Vida Rock and it looks like they are a company named CeramEco and are based in SLC.  Has anyone else had any experiences with them?  Here is the web page http://www.cerameco.com/gpage.html
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:47pm

That is correct. I actually called CeramEco and spoke with Mark Neff the owner. I was able to tour their faciltiy and see how the rock was made. CeramEcos main business is ceramic lawn orniments and they are just getting into the reefrock market. I know Fish 4 You has a few of his early pieces although the salesman I spoke with didn't know what it was.

Basically it is a ceramic clay that is mixed with organic particles and fibers. When the product is fired the organics burn off and leave the ceramic porous throughout. When seeded it should eventually house beneficial bacteria and filter similarly to wild live rock. I am testing this product and plan to post pics of the product as it matures.

If you wish to contact Mark Neff please tell him that Burt Fessler referred you.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:49pm

One other thing about Vida Rock. It can be custom ordered to your specs. While I was at the facility they were making a custom background for a large tank. It was made of 3 pieces that covered the overflow and back wall. Its really cool stuff.

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:55pm
I wonder if its the Mark Neff I knew.  hmmmm
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 9:38am
When we visited Fish4U last week with Frank we did see some of this new rock.  It looked good, was light weight and seemed very porous.  It looks promising.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 9:57am
Shane - I saw Adam and met Frank at Fish4U.  I wish I'd have been introduced to you.  You may have seen me and my brother there grabbing some stuff before the RSL game.

I'm just over the mountain and I'm sure we'll meet up sometime.
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 10:12am
I like the look of the rockwork. I will have to check into that company, I am light on rock. LOL I am ready for another update.

Wendy
Andreason's

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 10:44am
The tank looks good. Personally I would bail on the maroon clown though, they can be real aggressive, especially in such a small tank. And thanks for explaining the cycling system you used, very interesting.

Sculpin
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 6:04pm
I like the maroon clown and its paired with the percula. I know they are a bit of an odd couple, but I bought them as a pair from Fish 4 You. They didn't want to break up the pair and neither do I. It does have one bad habbit however, its digging a hole to the bottom of the tank.  Fortunately its dead center in the back of the tank so it doesn't show too much. Anyway I don't plan to add many more fish but hope to start filling out the tank with corals when I recover financially from setting up the system.
mandjhaley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandjhaley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 12:01am
AWESOME topic!!! I always like to see something different. That rock seems really cool. I'll keep following this thread if you keep posting. Good luck!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 9:02am
Hi Everyone,

Water Tests today still look good Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0. The fish and coral all look good and seem very energetic. The maroon clown keeps nudging the percula and the percula shudders its whole body when the maroon comes by. Is this a mating ritual?

I got back from Idaho yesterday (visiting grandkids) and I had a lot of brown algea in the tank. I also noticed some white stuff that appears to be coating the gravel in the front of the tank. This is right below where the autofeeder dumps. Do you think I am feeding too much?

I cut back feedings to once a day and cleaned the tank and am doing a water change today. Hopefully this will correct the problem.

Edited by bfessler - April 08 2009 at 9:04am
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 9:20am

Do you have good flow?  Brown algae likes areas of low flow.  If you put more flow in that area, it sould clear it up.

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 9:53am
That sounds like mating behavior, but I'm judging from my experience with African Cichlids.  If you said these were cichlids behaving that way I'd say you are 90% sure to have some love in the water.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 10:12am
I think the flow is pretty good. I have a Maxi-Jet 1200 in addition to the 2 powerheads that power the filter system in the JBJ 28G aquarium. Water flow appears to be chaotic.
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 10:30am
What do you have in there for cleanup crew? Snails/crabs/etc? Keep an eye on the algae, it gets out of control really fast and then you hate life. My pair of clowns do the shudder thing too. It is cute and fun to watch. We are in Lehi too, you should stop by sometime. (Not now though, we are all sooooo sick! Wait till we get better and fumigate!)
Andreason's

mandjhaley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandjhaley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 10:30am
I only feed my nano 2 or 3 times a week, otherwise I get too much algae
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic