Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Way 10 Month Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 8:48am
Be sure to post pics of the winners with their winning hand and their prize.  I blew the bank replacing light bulbs this week.

I think this is a great way for the LFS and the club to work together.  Are there plans to make this a bi-annual event?
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 9:37am

Time for an update.  Big smile

The Hiatt system is still working like a champ. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels still at 0. The PH has been stable since startup at 8.4, calcium levels have leveled out at about 550 and Magnesium is at 1320. The tank went through an algae bloom last week but has cleared up nicely today.

I have added a bunch of coral frags I picked up from members of the clubThumbs Up. The Vida Rock is maturing and is now taking on some brown and green coloration. I am looking forward to coralline starting to grow. I have seeded the tank with coralline covered shells and rubble from several sources but it hasn’t started growing on the Vida Rock yet.

Here are some recent pics of the tank.

Edited by bfessler - April 24 2009 at 9:40am
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 10:25am
That rock sure has a future in the hobby.  What's the big green coral in the first pic?
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 10:43am
It's a Hammer. The thing has grown by about 1/3 since I put it in the tank last month.
Burt

[email protected]
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 11:35am
OK - I can see that now.  One of the things on my shopping list.  Yours looks great.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 8:31am
It's been 12 weeks now since starting up the tank with the Hiatt system so here's an update. The tank is progressing nicely. I had the ballast go out while I was away on business last week but I got a T5HO light strip to supply light until the new ballast arrives. Other than that no big problems. Automation is working well while I am out of town.

Here are some pics of the tank today. I can't believe the difference from the April pictures.

Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 7:22pm
6 Month Update

Well it's been 6 months now since setting up my Nano. I am very pleased with the progress of the tank. Everything is very healthy and flourishing. The Vida Rock has patches of Coraline algae all over it now and I have started adding a few pieces of SPS to the tank which is doing well under the PC lighting.

Water parameters are all within norms. I have had to start adding buffer for alkalinity to the make up water but other than that I don't have to dose for anything. I change 4 gallons of water every 2 weeks which seems to replenish anything the system is using.

Here are some pictures of the tank today.

Burt

[email protected]
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2009 at 8:16pm
Great looking tank.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:56pm
10 Month Update

Over the past few months since my last update I have been clearing out many of the softies and concentrating more on SPS. The Monti Cap, and the Milli's have encrusted adn are now growing well. I have also added Pink Birds Nest, Green Slimer, Idaho Grape, and another plating coral I can't remember the name of. Here are some current pics.

Burt

[email protected]
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 7:31pm
Looks awesome! Who says you can't get good coral growth with PC's
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic