Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koralia Mod wavemaker silence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koralia Mod wavemaker silence
    Posted: April 17 2009 at 5:06pm

There have been quite a few questions on how to mod a Koralia in order to use it with a wavemaker. So I have decided to post a little "how to" for this simple mod.  

I have been using this method for well over a year on 2 of my pumps and have had it on the other 2 for three months without any issues.  The only problem I have ran into is after about 6 months you need to replace the piece of airline because it can expand and no longer "silence" the prop.

I do want to mention that this is what worked for me, however I am not responsible for any damage that occurs to your Koralia pumps from this mod or from using them on a wavemaker.

Step1.

Get a Koralia powerhead, a #4 was used in this picture.

Step 2. 

Remove the front cover of the Koralia

Step 3.

Get some airline

Step 4. cut approx. 1/4" of the airline off.  (this piece may need to be trimmed down per your application)

Step 5.

Place the piece of airline over the shaft metal shaft between the prop and the outer housing. 

Step 6.

Put the frount housing back on the Koralia. Your final mod will look like this.

Step 7.

Try it out in either your tank or a bucket of water, you may need to trim the piece of airline to make sure it is the right size for your application.

*note 

The purpose for the tubing is to create a "silent" stop for the prop. Typically when you turn on a Koralia and the prop goes the wrong way, it forces it out towards the front of the housing and makes a loud clicking noise before having the prop start the correct way. The small piece of tubing allows the prop to extend far enough to get the prop running the right direction without the "clicking" noise, therefore making them run silent. What is the problem you are having? if the tubing piece is too long the prop wont always turn in the correct direction. if it is too small, you will have the same "clicking" problems.

Here is a little video of Before and After ( you can actually hear the clicking of the power switch in these)

Before

After

Edited by chk4tix - April 17 2009 at 5:08pm
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 5:13pm
What kind of wavemaker are you using? 
Mike Sanches

Magna
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 5:14pm
I am just using an AquaController 3. but for the demo I was using a switch on a power strip

RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 5:17pm
Do you think it would work on a wavemaster?
Mike Sanches

Magna
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 5:20pm
I dont see why not, doesnt the wavemaster just control the on/off of a powerhead?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 8:22pm
Thank you thank you thank you very much for showing this.  Now I can get a wavemaker for my tank that I have always wanted with out removing the koralias.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 9:55pm
Another mod for your Koralia to get a little more flow, you can cut everyother fine out of the guard out.  I learned this from Vortec and Tunze owners and decided to try it on mine. ( I took pictures when I did mine so I can do a how to if needed)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic