Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLocal Store Poker Tour Wrap Up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

Well, I guess we all should strong arm the non-blue stars then. Thats what we are talking about here.  Its basically a shakedown...pay or don't play...I get it...it's probably a good strategy to take...not necessarily the only one, but it could be just as effective as playing nice. In fact, we might be able to force them to be more supportive by boycotting their stores altogether until they pay up...now that would get their attention! Or would it? Wouldn't be my way of doing it, but I bet it would show real quick whether or not we (WMAS) matter in the LFS market.

I am being a bit extreme to illustrate a point. 

Definatly extreme. Not a good Idea if we want the support of the stores.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Connie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 11:52am
Have you heard from Ryan? I felt so bad for him. He had a heat issue in his display. Temp hit 102...... He suffered HEAVY loses and the day of the tour to boot.....Cry
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 11:45am
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

I know when I was at Marine Aquatics, Corey wished he had help.  They were very busy .

That's great to hear!  Eric has always been a supporter of the club and I'm glad people turned up to thank him.

Adam
ps- only heard from a few store owners so far... but they are all saying it went great
Next Meeting: Holiday Social
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 10:43am
Didn't Bird World donate stuff around Christmas time and the big raffle? I thought for sure I heard their name bounced around. Hmm...

Well, I guess we all should strong arm the non-blue stars then. Thats what we are talking about here.  Its basically a shakedown...pay or don't play...I get it...it's probably a good strategy to take...not necessarily the only one, but it could be just as effective as playing nice. In fact, we might be able to force them to be more supportive by boycotting their stores altogether until they pay up...now that would get their attention! Or would it? Wouldn't be my way of doing it, but I bet it would show real quick whether or not we (WMAS) matter in the LFS market.

I am being a bit extreme to illustrate a point. 
tileman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 10:31am
I know when I was at Marine Aquatics, Corey wished he had help.  They were very busy .
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Eve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 10:14am
Ended up getting a lot of the essentials/hardware I need for the tank. Went to 5 stores: The Aquarium, Incredible Pets, Marine Aquatics, Fish 4 U, Aquatic Dreams. Bought IO salt, Koralia nano, timer, mag float, thermometer, and a test kit.

It was a lot of fun to finally go out and see a bunch of the LFS and see what they had to offer. Got to drive around with the b/f and hang out all day. It was awesome. Getting even more stoked to set up this tank as I get more bits and parts for it. 
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

Great job to whomever's brain child this was!

I wish I could take sole credit for it... but honestly I stole the idea from another club.  The Connecticut club came up with it and they (especially their president) are an awesome club and I just followed their lead on this one. 

Adam
ps- club presidents often exchange ideas and topics with each other
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 9:22am
I'd really like to keep this topic about how it went and the great stuff you got.  I don't really want to get into any debates or arguements or anything but just a story for you from the president's point of view...

I've had THREE stores that are NOT blue stars approach me within the last couple weeks asking what they need to do to become club supporters.  I think this poker tour really got some stores thinking they need to be working with us.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we do this Poker Tour (the fall???) we have a few more blue stars out there.

Adam
Connie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 9:15am
I shop at that store all the time and love the owner. He gets in some of the best stock and his staff is great. We talked about him yesterday. If he does not want to play nice in the sand box fine I really dont care. I will shop there another day but not yesterday when it was a club run.  

tileman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 9:10am
OK. I went back to the original post and read they have to have blue stars, which I think is BS.  All this is doing is alienating the other stores more, trust me, I got an earful yesterday. (Dion, you know who I'm talking about)  And he has an excellant point.  I'm not hear to argue about it. I just think it isn't good for the club.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
Connie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 9:07am
I think the stars are a good idea when doing something such as this. If they support us at raffles, fund raisers, ect, they should get the business. I know that we blew thru a grand in our car along. Shouldn't the stores that support us get that money??

Connie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 9:03am
I went with Tresa. Boy when she says she back in, she means it. Someone should hit her up about tank of the month... Its a show tank for sure....

We hit 6 stores all with the blue star so six cards each for us. Started at Aquatic Dreams, Aquatica, Reef Runner, Incredible Pets, Aquarium, and ended at Marine Aquatics. Wanted to go see Bruce but he was closed by the time we could get to his house. We had a blast but I must admit, I reallt thought there would be better selection then there was. However, keep in mind I am fully stocked so I go for stuff others do not. I did score a beautiful polys from Shawn's show tank and a mussle cluster from the Aquarium that is very cool. Naturally, Brad had the largest and best selection out of all the stores and was packed even at 3 when we finally got there.

Well that sucks, Reef Runner said he was on the list... Oh well just 5 for us..........

Edited by Connie - April 26 2009 at 9:23am

tileman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 8:55am
IMO it shouldn[t matter if it has a blue star or not.  Supporting Any LFS is good for the club.
I haven't heard anything about this. but I hope its not true.  Presidency????
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
john hill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 1:28am
i wish i could have been in on this instead i had to play out in the rain and watch super cross witch was way cool oh well maybe next time
out with the large and in with the nano
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 12:36am
Hey, Dana the guy from ID was Forest, he is our speaker next month. I ran into him at marine aquatics and aquatic dreams. Talked to him each time. Great guy.
I hit 6 stores, ran out of $$ at the last stop, Ewalds reef.
Great stores, wish other stores were involved.
75 Reef
55 Reef

griffith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:55pm

Thank goodness for rain - if it had been sunny I would have been stuck in the yard.

My adventure started at 9:30 a.m. with my twin boys and we didn't get home until 5:30 p.m.

We logged a total of 170 miles - no lie. 

We purchased from a total of 10 stores.

9 Blue Stars and 1 non (I thought it was a Blue Star store, but found out tonight it wasn't.)

Bummer - oh well, it's good to support all the LFS - and I do.

Bought corals, fish food, coral food, people food, tank products, fish products and a new harlequin shrimp.  I spent all the cash I took with me (my blood money - I sell my plasma to support my salt-water addiction) and I even whipped out the charge card for the Harlequin Shrimp.

It was a great day - I loved being with my boys, singing songs from the IPOD, buying stuff and coming home to put things in the tanks.

Great idea - needs to be a yearly event (and let's get more stores to participate).

I talked up the club at every store and visited with lots of people at the stores.

I'm broke, but a happy camper.

Linn

Edited by griffith - April 26 2009 at 1:12pm
thefu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:16pm

I didn't know about the blue star requirement. I thought if they were on the LFS page we should go. I guess if we are not going to show love to the the non-blue stars, how do we then get them TO be blue stars?

I am fine with it either way.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:55pm
It sounds like everyone had a great time!

What kind of Pipefish Dana?

Andreason, I'm glad you guys are okay. I'm thinking your coral is a Pavona (Cactus Coral)

Mike

Sculpin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:40pm
It was great. I ended up getting to 5 stores and I started at 4pm. I mostly kept it cheep and bought some food from one store, some supplement from another, however Fish4U had some great sized chocolate chip stars for the same price and petco's scrawny ones so I picked up two (my harlequins will be happy for sure). I also stopped by Salt City Aquatics and met Tyler. He's a nice guy and I got some cool frags at that.

I also asked a few clerks about the the tour and they seems to love it.

Great job to whomever's brain child this was!

Sculpin
Andreason View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:32pm
Bird World? Petco? They are not blue stars and don't count, do they? I thought they did not.....maybe we had a rule change that I missed?

We were in a car accident on the freeway going to Aquatic Dreams :( we are ok, but the Jeep is not. I am super sore though! Other than that things went well. We had tons of fun, saw some extra neat stuff!  I found my encrusting hydno which was superb, I have been waiting for that one. We got some gorgeous acans, a new weirdo poloma coral (I know it started with a p.....) I am pretty sure that awesome cocoa worm is still crying for me so I think we are not done. I was super pleased with all of the store's personnel and support. They packed things extra carefully for our long travel and several mentioned they thought the activity was an incredibly cool one (I agree!) We took time to visit many stores that we had not been to,  and bought many things off our list of 'needs.' The wants list just got longer though lol!

For sure this should be an annual event!
Andreason's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic