Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

calcium reactor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: calcium reactor
    Posted: April 30 2009 at 8:59pm
i just got a bigger reactor and it does not have a recerculating pump on it i was told it used a mag 3 but i was wondering if i could put a bigger pump on it or will that cause problems
out with the large and in with the nano
plumber dude View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plumber dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 9:46pm
You shouldn't need a whole bunch of flow. Just enough to circulate the water in the reactor. To keep it moving and mixing with the CO2. An oversized pump would be a waste of power and money in my opinion.  You might check around if you don't already have a pump. For instance an eheim 1250 will only draw 28 watts and will do 320 gallons per hour.  The mag 3 does 350 gallons per hour and draws 35 watts. An aqua bee 1000 will draw 10 watts and pump 264 gallons per hour. That is what I have on mine. Check it out.
180 gallon reef. Achilles tang,naso tang,purple tang,orange shoulder and a bunch of sps.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:19am
you dont want to large of a pump because it will not allow the CO2 to break down the reactor media efficiently.  Therefore you would just be wasting Co2 and possibly limiting the control over the effluents pH.  What size of reactor is it?  If it originally had a Mag3 I would get the same pump or one with the same output.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic