Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:15pm
I may be jumping the gun a little here, but I am going to start my build thread. I picked up the tank and overflows today and just was too excited to wait to start the build. I also picked up my lighting, and skimmer recently, so it is just a matter of moving it all to a new state, building a stand/canopy, and getting it all running.

Thanks to Jason "SULLY" at Coral Reef Pet Center in Salem, OR for getting me the tank, overflows, reflectors, and MH sockets.

Here is the beauty, Marineland Deep Dimension 200g Starfire tank. 4' long x 3' wide x 27" tall.

Starfire Glass: I dont know how much of a difference I can see now, but hopefully it makes a big difference once I get it up and running.

Corner overflow assembly and return.

Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:17pm
Sunlight Supply Lumenmax Reflectors. These are the big ones, 22.5" x 22.5"

Installing the sockets is pretty easy. Using 4 wing nuts they bolt right up to the reflector.

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:19pm
Very cool. That is a great tank size. It should be a lot of fun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:20pm
The skimmer being used for this build will be my Aqua Euro 265. The skimmer has 2 circulation needle wheels, and a Sedra 9000 mesh mod feeding it. I dont think I will do the mesh mod again, I just don't think it helps enough to merit the wear it puts on the pump. The needle wheel works pretty well stock.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:42pm
Sweet!

Mike

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:09pm
awesome. This is pretty much the same dimensions as our acrylic cube. It is awesome room to work with
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:19pm
thanks.

cl2ysta1: would you mind sharing the exact dimensions of your tank and how you lit it? i am worried about shadows in my tank.
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:28pm
i would love a 3 foot front to back tank that is going to be sweet
out with the large and in with the nano
Eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:54pm
Woah... Nice tank! Gunna be awesome all set up.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

thanks.

cl2ysta1: would you mind sharing the exact dimensions of your tank and how you lit it? i am worried about shadows in my tank.

all the info is in there
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:09am
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

thanks.

all the info is in there

i love the build thread. kinda funny that you went from a 72 bowfront to your big tank, and that is what i am doing. i love the frag tank too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:56am
I have been looking into stand designs and really like this one. It has the right amount of trim, while still being clean and modern. I probably wont do the doors with as much trim work, but the stand is nice.

THE PROBLEM IS...I am only going to be in Utah for 3 years, then I will be moving to Idaho and dont know if it is possible to make a stand that I can take apart, or if this is just something I will have to sell or throw away. There's no way it's going to fit through a door in one piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:00pm
Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.reeftime.com/diy-reef-projects/diy-aquarium-stands/build-diy-aquarium-stand/7.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:43pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:45pm
I like a stand that is more open on the front and also has doors on the ends so I can work underneath easier.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:01pm
I want the ends to be removable as well. I probably will use a magnetic panel on the end so that it is easily removable. In the front I plan to do 2 doors, and match with 2 doors on the canopy. Simple and clean is the look I want. I intend to stain it black, so that you can still see some wood grain, but it is mostly black. I will then seal it with some kind of clear coat. I am still trying to figure out how to make it movable though. How to build it to be able to disassemble later...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 5:41pm
I think I solved the problem. I will make the stand in two pieces. I will have 2 halves that are 2'x3'x40" that way they will fit through a door, and still are strong structurally. the front skin will be removable, and the sides will be on permenantly. i will use 3/8" bolts with through holes, washers, and nuts to fasten it all together.

sorry the pic isn't perfect, i used microsoft paint to draw it up. if i was using autocad it would have been much better and to scale. the blue sides are similar, and the red sides are similar. all together will take more wood, but it will be worth it in the long run.

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 7:55pm
our metal one for the big tank comes apart. It has bars inbetween the top and bottom that slide into it... otherwise we would have the same issue you are looking at
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 3:55pm
yeah, i almost didn't think about that. would have been a mistake. hopefully the stand for my 72 bowfront fits out the door. i kindof built it on my deck, and haven't tried the front door where there is a tight corner and stairs immediately following. this 200g build is going to be thought out thoroughly before anything goes together. i want no major mishaps.
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 12:35am
nice what are you planning on using for flow
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic