Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 12:59am
sanddune600: i am planning to use (4) koralia 4's mounted on the back wall and pointing forward. i hope that will be enough, if not i have a seio 1500 and a seio 2600. i also will have the return pump, which i am not sure of size yet, but will be around 1000-1400GPH after head loss.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 1:23am
29x turnover should be plenty look forward to seeing it running
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 11:37am
29x will be the minimum. if i have to use the seio pumps that would bump it up quite a bit, and of course if needed i can use all of them and get around 50x...Nuke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 10:37am
I was wondering if you Utah folk use chillers, or "have to" use chillers. My new duplex has central air, so I shouldn't need it right?

Also am looking for a controller for this system. If you have one, let me know what it is, what it comes with, how old it is, and how much you want. Internet connection would be nice, but not necessary.
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 10:55am
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

I was wondering if you Utah folk use chillers, or "have to" use chillers. My new duplex has central air, so I shouldn't need it right?

Also am looking for a controller for this system. If you have one, let me know what it is, what it comes with, how old it is, and how much you want. Internet connection would be nice, but not necessary.

Depends on how much u want to run ur AC... Most of us run little 10 dollar cheap fans from wally world, k-mart, target, stuff like that. to blow across the surface and lights to keep things cool.
this is my setup.
75 Reef
55 Reef

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 11:01am
I haven't seen too many tanks with chillers set up in Utah.... at least not in club members houses anyway...  a few pet stores do have them on there systems though.... but yeah just fans will get you by

also as far as controllers....
(hopefully this link will help soon... to help you choice which controller you want)
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33207&PID=298385#298385 

Edited by Nick801 - May 13 2009 at 11:01am
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:29pm
there are quite a few people who use them down here in southern utah. I dont like the extra moisture in the air so i just use fans and open the window next to the tank (we have a swamp cooler)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:36pm
oh and we have ours set up with the controller to only run when a temp reaches a certain point
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 7:47pm
Thanks everyone. I was hoping that I didn't have to buy another piece of equipment. Chillers are expensive both in cost and to run. I have fans now on the display and on the sump. The new system, which is going to be tied in with the 72 frag tank will be set up partially underground. The sump and frag tank will be in the basement, and the display up in the living room. That should help with cooling as well, not to mention I can use the controller to run a big fan downstairs since noise and space wont be as much of an issue down there.

The only concern here is going to be what return pump to get. I have to measure the head loss, and after that I will try to find a pump. I dont need a fancy one, just something fairly inexpensive, but reliable, and fairly efficient. Basically I really dont want to spend $300 on a Sequence Dart, when I can use something else that will work just fine...but that is to be determined.

Thanks again for cooling info everyone.
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 12:34pm
What an awesome setup!  I can't wait to see some pictures of it up and running!
Pleasant Grove
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 6:24pm
We also do the fan thing, and our icemaker is RO/DI as well so we can always put ice cubes in the sump. We do have a few days a year that our tanks struggle to stay cool, but on those days we add yet another fan and turn off the lights and we have been ok. We don't have central air, we have a swamp cooler so I bet you will be sitting pretty. I think worse case scenario would be a power outage on a hot day. We would be in serious trouble then.

Do you have Saturday all figured out? I wanted to try to come help but the day is just packed! We could help on Sunday if you need it though.

Andreason's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 7:18pm
Thanks everyone. Tanks are home and set up. I am now in SLC and glad to be here. I lost quite a bit of livestock including all but one of my fish, and many corals. Lost 2 oregon torts, california tort, pokerstar monti, rainbow monti, chilli pepper monti, sunset monti, reverse sunset monti, all birdsnest, and more.Cry

I honestly thought I was going to have 100% or close to 100% success. The power inverter we were using to run the heater went out and the temp dropped to below 60 degrees.Nuke

Really sucks, was pretty upset, but now am just moving on. I hate losing stuff I care so much about, but there is no sense in dwelling over it.

My next step in this build is the stand. I am planning on building the framework as pictured above, and will be skirting with plywood and trim. I want it to be basic trim with nothing too fancy.

I am looking for someone with woodworking tools like a table saw for plywood, and miter saw for trim, that might be willing to help me with this. I have all the other tools needed. I basically just need some parts cut, but if someone wants to help through the whole thing that is cool too. I have to wait a few weeks/month to start as money is tight after the move. I am willing to pay in cash or coral/equipment/drygoods.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 12:00am
got most of the 2x4 frame built. i am thinking i probably wont sheet it with plywood, since i will only be in utah for 3 years. i just dont want to put all the effort an money into it and then have to tear it down so quickly. i will most likely use black material to cover the stand and canopy. i know, sounds cheesy, but i just dont think sheeting is the right thing to do; wont ever go back together the same after moving.

i was also wondering what people's opinions are on heaters. what size should i get for this size tank. heaters for big tanks are new to me. i was thinking 500w or 800w titanium, but dont know. i will probably go with cheap brand like odyssea since it will be controlled by my controller anyways.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 8:24am
I haven't had to use a heater in years.  Before you rush out and buy one I'd fill the tank and watch the temp for a few days.  More likely you'll need fans to keep it cool and nothing to keep it warm.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I haven't had to use a heater in years.  Before you rush out and buy one I'd fill the tank and watch the temp for a few days.  More likely you'll need fans to keep it cool and nothing to keep it warm.

Adam

even with the sump and frag tank (which will both be in same system) being in the basement? the basement will probably get colder than the house in the winter.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:36am
Tough to say.  My basement tanks would need heaters if they were lit with pc's.  But if I had halides on them I didn't need heaters. 
Keeping an eye on it for the first year as the seasons change will probably be your best bet.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:48am
what i will probably do is just buy one, they aren't too much, and then if i need it great, if not, i will still have it when i move to north idaho, and will need it for sure. but i will keep an eye on it as you recommend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 9:35pm
So here is the stand's frame. I will go ahead and set the tank up on top tomorrow or Sunday. I need to get the back of the tank painted first. I will just use krylon fusion on the back and sides where the overflows are.

Front View:

Overall Pic with Location:
(I really wanted to be able to see 3 sides, but it just wasn't going to work with the place we are in now. This will due for the next few years.

You can fit a yeti in a box:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 12:40am
looks like your on track just get that DUDEvil Smile out of the way in the last pic and you have a nice stand
Andy Jorgensen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Adam

may never really need one but it is cheap compared to alot of things in this hobby

on what size to run I recommend 2 300watts or 2 250watts then if one goes bad and stays on without shuting off you arent heating the water as much or if it goes bad and wont turn on you have a backup
Andy Jorgensen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic