Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 10:39am

Nice! Your setup should be awesome; can't wait.

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 11:42am
Mike, I am glad I found it too. It was starting to look like a lost cause, and just before we were going to leave we spotted some. We kept looking and looking after that and kept finding pieces here and there.

Jesse, it was awesome having you out there. We had some great conversations and found some great rock/sand. I would have been lost without you there, so I am glad you came along and had "some" familiarity with the terrain.

Turbostud653, thanks. I am having difficulties getting the rockwork to look exactly like I want it to, but as soon as the water clears up I will post pics and get everyone here to help. The problem is too many big pieces. I may have to break them up a little bit to get it to be more open.

Right now I am in the "hurry up and wait" stage. I am topping off tank, got about 40g to go, and I am mixing salt. Water is still really cloudy. I have 2 koralia 4's in there right now (got 2 more that will go in later) and have a canister filter with carbon and floss in it, to help clear water. Once I am done with this I will be waiting about a month before I add some xenia. I still have the canopy to build, and have the stand and canopy to sheet with black material.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by downhill_biker;112311 downhill_biker;112311 wrote:

So I got the tank up and running, but still have a bunch of work to do with the rock. The canister filter was leaking so I just stuck it in the tank for now to clear up the water. The rocks under the canister will form anemone island. The rocks in the middle will most likely just go in the sump. Basically the structure on the right stays, and the structure on the left stays, but i am having troubles getting the open look I want. The left side needs to open up between the rocks and I cant seem to get it to do so. I am willing to shift rocks around in any way, so if you have an idea lets hear it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:32pm
Here is a new shot. Redid aquascaping. It looks better, but I am still not completely satisfied with it. I am thinking that some figi  or tonga live rock could dresses it up a little. I am thinking of adding another arch across the back, and just making it a giant u shape. What do you guys think?

Edited by downhill_biker - June 14 2009 at 2:48pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:35pm
I think the arch is a great idea.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:49pm
thanks mike. i was thinking that i will have the back be the highest part of the rockwork, and go down from there tapering toward the front. similar to how it is now, but trying to open it up more.

also edited the photos. i had a double pic in there, and now i have the side view that i was supposed to have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:31pm
Here's my sump design for the setup. Both the 200g Tank and my 72g frag tank will feed into this sump. What do you think?

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 10:55pm

I think this is a great project. I hope to build a large tank myself some time, if I can talk my wife into it.

Looking at your sump design I am wondering, are there 3 chambers before the bubble trap and return and if so are they in the order shown in the drawing? You might consider moving the skimmer and bubble trap to the other side and having the refugium feed the return. I am new to the hobby but I think having the refugium feed the tank will allow for better delivery of pods and good stuff from the fuge to the display without being sucked into the skimmer.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Burt
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 11:09pm
bfessler: i agree with you completely. basically the drawing isn't quite how it is working out. i am going to end up with the skimmer wherever it fits since it is so big. i will then figure out how to figure the refugeum around it. most likely either way i will have a large ball of chaeto close to the return, and of course there will be lots of pods in the display naturally, probably enough to sustain whatever fish i keep.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 11:51am
So the DSB replaces LR in the sump?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

So the DSB replaces LR in the sump?

I dont think it replaces the rock, but they have similar functions. They are both major bacteria breeding grounds. The more bacteria you have, the more natural filtration you have. Bacteria does most of the filtration in our reef tanks. I am not going to be using LR in the sump, but in the system I will have several hundred pounds of rock, and several hundred pounds of sand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 9:27pm
So I think it's time for an update. On tuesday I received my new pump (reeflo barracuda) and my new controller (AC Jr). I dont have the controller set up but the plumbing is mosty done. Due to the high cost of acrylic I decided to custom fit some salt bucket baffles. In the picture showing the sump the closest pic will be the drain, and is about 2" higher than the return bucket, which will determine the water level of the entire sump. Should work out pretty well, IMO.

Below the tank, going down to the

From the floor to the sump in the basement:

And the sump:

I also got some new rock, that has some very interesting shapes, so I redid my rockwork. It is finally starting to look like something I like. Not quite perfect, but better. Of course any comments or suggestions are always appreciated, everyone has a different eye for aquascaping.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:04pm

The rockwork is MUCH better now.  It is starting to look like a real nice design. I never have liked the look of utahrock, but thats just me.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

The rockwork is MUCH better now.  It is starting to look like a real nice design. I never have liked the look of utahrock, but thats just me.

Ya, I really liked the idea of collecting your own rock, and it was a very fun experience, but this rock just looks much better. When you have some interesting shapes it just gives you so much more to work with.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2009 at 8:19am
I was wondering if your aquascaping is digging safe?  Will busy critters be able to take that down?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2009 at 12:18pm
should be digging safe. i am staying away from pistol shrimp or jawfish. also staying away from sandsifting gobys. mainly i will have some snails in the sand, a couple conch's, and a sandsifting star.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2009 at 12:36pm
Looking good. Great idea with the buckets.
Nano_Reefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nano_Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2009 at 1:11am
There is some great looking rock in there. And, I am with MadReefer, Godd idea with the buckets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2009 at 1:31am
hey thanks guys. i have had more comments about my "creative" baffles than anything else. just wish my tank was as cool as my buckets that i cut in half...

skimmer should be up and running soon. sump is full of water, and will have the tank and sump running together tomorrow. then a few weeks to get some life into the sand in the sump, and i should be ready to connnect the two tanks. couple more weeks after that and i will start moving coral!!!
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2009 at 8:05am
I really like the aquascaping now,
Once it grows in you'll really like the two islands look, gives you much more area on the sand bed to place corals/clams. 
The fish should have plenty of swimming room and good hiding places as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic