Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:39am
I agree dew2loud1, I have 2 seperate islands in my bowfront, and I just love the look. I think that having an area where the sand goes all the way to the back glass without rock makes the tank look a lot bigger. Maybe I'm weird, but that's how my eyes see it.

I had the opportunity to get a new skimmer that was better than the Aqua Euro, so I jumped on it. This is my AquaC EV-1000 skimmer. It came without the spray injector, but right now it is running with a makeshift spray injector (Thanks Tyler for showing me how to make it), and is doing pretty well. I have a new injector on order, but for the time being this think is ROCKIN'.

Some of you are very familiar with spray injection, but for those who aren't, basically it just uses a extremely high pressure pump, and a high restriction nozzle to make a very forceful spray, where air is added. This model has 2x 3/8" air inlets and it produces a ton of bubbles. I have the water level set at the top of the black box (reaction chamber) and the acrylic tube is all foam. The reaction chamber is built in a way that there is a moderate amount of turbulence and the foam can rise very stable. I am VERY impressed with this skimmer.

Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:58am

I am sorry I couldnt find that part for you, it looks like you got it working well, and it looks good. I didnt even think about that part. Well I am glad it is working for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:24am
Yes, it is. Thanks for the skimmer. I am pretty stoked on it. The part is no big deal. I got the new one on order, and it wasn't very expensive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:26am
So I was doing some thinking, and this some very cool info:

The skimmer is being powered by my reeflo barracuda. It came with a Askoll pump, but there is no need to waste electricity if the return pump can power it.

I will also be using the same pump to return on my frag tank. This will allow me to replace 4 pumps on the frag system: the return pump, the 2x recirc pumps on my Aqua Euro 265, and the sedra 9000 NW that feeds the Aqua Euro.

Overall here is how the electricity useage worked out:

Reeflo Barracuda: 230w

Sedra 9000: 90w
2xRecirc Pumps: 40wx2 (80w)
Quiet One 4000 Return pump: 50w

Total Being Replaced: 220w
New Total: 230w

I look at it like my return pump and skimmer on the new tank is costing me an additional 10w of electricity. WOOOHOOO!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:17pm
So I definitely have some changes going on right now in my tank. There is brown algae everywhere, which is a good thing, it's finally starting to mature.

Also got the Aquacontroller Jr. hooked up today. I only have it running my lights right now, but will put other things in later. I calibrated the pH probe and the 72g pH is great at 8.28, but the 200g is at 6.38. How do I get it to come up? Or will it naturally?

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:07pm
man curtis im going to have to have you teach me how to use that controller Ive had mine for a couple months and still am having a hard time figuring about a couple of things on it like how to set the feed on it. Tank looks great man! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 12:34pm
I dont know much about the controller either, but I am pretty good at electronics and computers. I just follow the directions and play with it. It was pretty easy to get everything dialed like I wanted it. I have it set for time and date, and have the lights coming on at noon and turning off at 10pm. I also have it set that if the temp gets about 85 degrees the lights turn off, and turn back on at 83. Today I will probably set up a fan over the sump that turns on at 83 and turns off at 81 degrees.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 12:44pm
Sweat, I got that stuff figured out on it too its just the timing for the feed that I cant figure out. When you get to that if you figure it out let me know! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 1:01pm
I just messed with it, and dont know what its all about. The manual says almost nothing. I have heard these guys have top notch customer service and if you called in, they could probably walk you through whatever you wanted to do in about 5 minutes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 7:09pm
I went ahead and made the big move today. I hooked up my 72g to my 200g and it is now running as one system.

Water parameters before combining:

72g
pH: 8.1
temp: 81
salinity: 1.025
dKH: 10
calcium: 440

200g
pH: 8.2
temp: 79
salinity: 1.026
dKH: 15 (high but not dangerous)
calcium: 460

everything has been running together for about 8 hours now and there was no reaction to the change. feeding tentacles are out on acans, zoas are wide open, sps are showing full polyp extension. looks like it was a success.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 7:49pm
Thought I would update on the skimmer too. I have a new spray injector coming from AquaC that should get here any day. The DIY spray injector has been doing pretty well though. I have had the skimmer hooked up for 48 hours now, but only have been skimming for 24 hours. I plugged the overflow hole because I didn't want it spilling everywhere, and it shut down the skimmer because that was it's only vent. Well live and learn. So here's a pic with about 24 hours of skimmate, and since I just hooked up the second tank (which actually has fish in it) I should see this thing really working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 5:37pm
I went and did some shopping today. I am mostly done with stocking, but will probably add a mandarin dragonette and a 6 line wrasse, but that's it. I realize a few of these are borderline reef safe, but I am going to give them a shot, and if they dont work out I will take them out.

Sargassum Triggerfish

Swallowtail Angelfish

Copperbanded Butterfly

Blonde Naso Tang

Got these two last week

Purple Tang

Scribbled Rabbitfish

What do you guys think? Did I go overboard?
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 5:48pm
Yes - way overboard.  You can ease your conscience by giving one or two of them to me.  Like the trigger...  Big smile  One of prettiest fish I've ever seen.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 6:40pm
It is a gorgeous fish!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 9:46pm
Ok, well now that the fish is going to vadryn, I guess I dont have to worry about being overstocked. Wink Ya right, not in a million years. I LOVE THAT FISH.

Thanks Mike, now I just need you to come over and take some professional pics of it, and really show it off, lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 11:27pm
Do you happen to have a nano tank too?

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Do you happen to have a nano tank too?

Mike

No, why? You want the trigger in there for picture taking? I have a 40b and a 20g, but they are in my 72g bowfront right now. I personally thought my 5 gallon bucket made a nice backdrop.

Edited by downhill_biker - July 10 2009 at 12:05am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 7:07am
Nope. I am just trying to show off nanos.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 10:17am
Oh, gotcha. Ya 200g and 72g are my only reef tanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 6:32pm

I forgot to include one of my fish. I have a tailspot blenny in the tank too. That is a pretty cool fish. He has this problem with climbing into the powerhead whenever I turn them off to feed. I always check, but being a seio 2600 it would not be pretty, I wish he would find a new place.

The copperband had to go back to the LFS. It was being constantly chased by the purple tang. I just felt bad for her. I brought home a blue-eye kole tang though. Camera was dead, but will get a pic later. She is from the bristletooth family, so will be a great workhorse tang for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic