Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheapest stuff I can find for our tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jeff Hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheapest stuff I can find for our tanks
    Posted: March 22 2003 at 7:42pm

Places with cheap stuff for our tanks:

Please add more is you find anything

http://www.floatswitches.net/

http://www.clarksol.com/html/prodspecsM045Pump.htm - Heard these were $45, let you know on Monday

http://www.greylor.com/catalog.htm - More small pumps

Oh yeah, Home Depot has electronic timers, three prong, for $20.  Really nice ones.

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2003 at 10:40pm
I use Walmart timers that were $5.00 each that are 2 prong.  Two prong adapters are like a couple for a buck roughly. 
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2003 at 11:05pm

If you have lights (flourescents) that have a hard time starting, it could be because they're not grounded.  I always use 3 prong timers for my lights and ground the reflector behind the bulb.

K-mart has (maybe had) 3 prong timers for about $10.  Not as nice as the digital ones at home depot, but they do work!

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 12:26am
Another important reason to use 3 prong plugs is to avoid stray voltage in you tank.  Especially with lights.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 6:07pm

Regional Supply has been a favorite for me. You can buy Acrylic Sheet scraps for $1 a pound. Acrylic can be used to construct sumps/refugiums, custom overflows (with tank drilling obviously) and a lot of other stuff too. They have it in clear, smoke, black, etc.

Also, Commercial Lighting supply is a great place for VHO, HO and Power Compact ballasts. They carry the Fulham Workhorse 7 ballast which is similar to Icecap in it's flexibility for about $30-40. The same ballasts are used in Retail ballasts for about $100.

Those are a few of my findings.

Ryan

Jeff Hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 8:44pm

Hey Ryan,

Are those electronic ballasts, or tar?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 9:50pm

Jeff,

Check out www.fulham.com for more info.  They are electronic and the workhorse 7 can power 2 110 watt VHO bulbs (4').

I've got a workhorse 3 powering a 36 watt PC, the label says max power of 64 watts.  Shouldn't that mean I can power a 55 watt bulb?  Fulham's website doesn't indicate that this can be done (I think they recomend a workhorse 33). 

Anyone have an old 55 watt PC ( .... pin pattern) they would be willing to let me try?  I don't want the bulb, just want to see if it'll fire.

Danny Lueck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 10:15pm

ALL A DOLLAR

has little shells perfect for your Hermits.

a basket full of them for $1

bunch of different sizes

boil them in water first

"Ask not what your REEF TANK can do for you!!"

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 7:35am

I had 4- 55Watt Power Compacts on a workhorse 7 Ballast. It wasn't one of the "recommended" wiring setups from Fulham, but I talked to one of their engineers, and he said it would work fine. I never had a problem with it, and had it hooked up for 6 months. The maximum wattage for the ballast was 220 Watts, and the total wattage of the bulbs was 220.

Jon, have you hooked up two 110 Watt VHO's to the WH7? I know the total wattage is 220, but the guy from Fulham I talked to this time around said you should only do one because of the high energy requirements of the VHO bulbs. I'd love to do two if it will work, and not underdrive the bulbs. I just want to get the most out of the bulbs/ballasts that I can.

Thanks, Ryan

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 8:25am

I have not hooked up two 110 watt VHO's to a WH7, but many have in the diy forum on reefcentral.  Rumur has it that early on, fulham had wiring drawings for doing this, but then pulled back and said to use one bulb.  Don't know if it was due to marketing or engineering?  I just bought a WH7 but will only be  firing 2 x 24" bulbs.  When the aquarium fairy visits me with a bigger tank I plan to use this ballast to fire two 48" VHO bulbs.

Did you call them on the phone?  emailing them doesn't seem to work for me.

Another option for VHO:

http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/lighting/hamilton/supervhoballast.htm

Similar to the IC 660, but only $140.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 7:44pm

I thought this looked like a pretty good deal. Anyone have experience with this type of pH pen?

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/itempg.icl?orderidentifier=ID10487344346076C1508&eflag=0&iteminfo4=0&itmid=9217&passitemid=9217

I'm thinking about ordering one. If anyone wants one let me know and I will order them and we can split the shipping. It's either this or the pinpoint monitor for $90. I can't decide ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 7:50pm

I like the Milwaukee over the pinpoint. It's only $85, and is MUCH nicer.

MSM carries it.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 10:13pm
Quote: Originally posted by Shane H on 26 March 2003

I thought this looked like a pretty good deal. Anyone have experience with this type of pH pen?

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/itempg.icl?orderidentifier=ID10487344346076C1508&eflag=0&iteminfo4=0&itmid=9217&passitemid=9217

I'm thinking about ordering one. If anyone wants one let me know and I will order them and we can split the shipping. It's either this or the pinpoint monitor for $90. I can't decide ...

I can't say for sure with regard to this pen, but at that price (and look), I'd say it's precision is only to the tenth and accuracy at 0.2.  That means if it reads 8.20 it could be anywhere between 8.0 and 8.4.  You decide it thats accurate enough for you.  I'm sure you can find out accuracy/precision from aquaticeco.

A good probe will usually cost you closer to $100...ymmv.

Jeff Hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 7:20pm

Where did you come up with those numbers?  Is this your speculation, or am I missing somthing here?  I say get it, I have some calibration fluid, bring it over, and we will compare it to my Neptune monitor, and be sure with some calibration fluid.  I really cant see that company selling something for aquariums that would be that far off.  Just my .02.

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 7:55pm

Resolution 0.1 pH
Accuracy +/- 0.2 pH

Here is the product spec link: http://www.hannainst.co.uk/cat-html/it020028.htm

+/- 0.2 is a wide range but it sure beats the pants off of a pH test kit for ease of use...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 8:07pm

Shane, Count me in on the $18 PH monitor.

Give me a call, and I can arrange to get you some cash.

Thanks, Ryan

801-856-5661

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 9:20pm

Jeff, your Neptune is probably 0.01 precision and 0.01 accuracy.  I'd say this is a good meter.

Shane, if you're ordering, I too would be interested one (just 'cause the accuracy is 0.2 doesn't necessarily mean it has to be that far off...maybe I'll get lucky).  I'd like to check it against our meter at work too.  Let me know how to get in touch. 

Jeff Hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 9:32pm
Wow possibly that far off huh?  Think I would stick to a Pinpoint, Neptune, ect.
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 11:10pm

On the subject of the workhorse 7 ballast. Does anyone know if two regular fluroscent bulbs can be driven using those and get  (close to ) the same light output as VHOs. THis is possible when using icecap660 ballast

Check out this article for some awesome info regarding using cheap bulbs in place of VHOs  http://www.icecapinc.com/famaarticle.htm

BTW. great thread. keep it coming.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2003 at 7:18am

I don't understand how it would be possible to get a higher output than the rating of the lamp. A 60 watt NO flourescent driven at full power will still only put out 60 watts of light. (In theory.) You may notice a difference with driving the same 60 watt bulb with two different 60 watt ballasts, but that would only be caused by one of those ballasts not putting out the correct power for that bulb...

I don't know for sure, but I will tell you that the Workhorse 7 is worth having. It's very flexible, and is absolutely silent to the ear. Just my .02 cents. And, coincidentally, it'sd MUCH cheaper than an icecap ballast. (By the way, the WH7 ballast will run 3 of these bulbs.)

Ryan

Quote: Originally posted by seti007 on 28 March 2003

On the subject of the workhorse 7 ballast. Does anyone know if two regular fluroscent bulbs can be driven using those and get  (close to ) the same light output as VHOs. THis is possible when using icecap660 ballast

Check out this article for some awesome info regarding using cheap bulbs in place of VHOs  http://www.icecapinc.com/famaarticle.htm

BTW. great thread. keep it coming.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic