Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do It Yourself Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do It Yourself Meeting
    Posted: August 14 2004 at 5:41pm

For the September 2nd meeting we will be featuring many club members.  Basically a big "Do It Yourself Seminar".  Very casual and focused on free time to chat and discuss do it yourself items with other club members.

We are planning on a couple of things like Tank Photography (Tim Uhl), Aracocrete (Chris Singley), Aquascaping (Diana Tabor),...

I'm thinking of having Finch wire up a Workhorse 7, and I would love for someone to volunteer to do some acrylic work.  Other ideas please share?  Also, lets see if anyone here can volunteer to lead something, or if they can at least nominate someone else to lead something. 
The meeting is for all of you, so what do you want?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 9:23pm
How about have Jon do a DIY meeting?

Edited by rfoote
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 10:17am
umm.... I thought the Sept. meeting was on the 22nd?
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 11:31am
Meeting is 9/2, the usual first Thursday and the Reef Tour is on 9/25, a Saturday.

Sounds like both will be great.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 11:49am
I would be interested in seeing someones DIY phyto culturing/rotifer raising/baby brine shrimp hatching processes.

I know it has been described on the board a dozen times but it makes a difference to see a setup in person. To have someone describe list of requirements of how to raise them, how to feed them, any special requirements, how much time it takes and so on.
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 12:50pm

Well since it the 2nd and not the 23rd (as listed in upcoming events <<<<) I should be able to make it to a second meeting.

If I had more experience I would volunteer for the acrilic work but... I wouldn't do very well with the little knowledge I have. I can volunteer some weld-on 4 though if you would like for the demo

oh... and ditto Kevin's post ^

Edited by vangvace
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 2:07pm
Wow! It's too bad we don't know somebody who knows about
Nannochloropsis oculata & Isochrysis galbana & Brachionus
plicatilis or B.rubens
and copepods and ciliates and
amphopods....... somebody who has really researched this kinda
phytoplanton and zooplanton lifeforms....

If we just knew anybody who had an super easy way with her own
start samples and stuff..
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 6:14pm

Yeah, somebody who has done this presentation... hmm... a few months ago... had interesting equipment.... and a great laugh...  and gee... if she just had some nice orange phyto... plus lots of other nifty stuff....

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 1:51pm

Question Follow Up-

So would you rather see the meeting have only a few speakers who each take a turn up front, OR, would you rather have lots of little demos going on at the same time.

Adam

vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 2:46pm
How about Similar to how the frag meeting was done with taking turns so everyone gets the general information and then playtime/demos after?
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 3:07pm
I prefer fewer with each person giving separate presentations.  That way I can listen to all of them and not pick and choose.  Save the other presenters for the next DIY meeting.
BrokeCurmudgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrokeCurmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 3:34pm
Yes...quality not quanty.  Just MHO
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here. - Dante

Riverton, Utah
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 4:36pm
I could resylicone a glass tank.....  But acrylic is trendy....
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 5:05pm
I agree. I wouldnt want to miss something if I had to pick between two.
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 6:15pm
adam is a little paraniod about the meetings running long. But if he keeps them INTERESTING. no biggie. We come and go as we wish. It's not school.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 8:06pm

Skyetone,

No luck, I can't keep things interesting, it isn't in my nature.

Adam

jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 7:20am

Why do you always have to plan meetings when I can't come?

someone take good notes for me!

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 7:29am

But if he keeps them INTERESTING.

You know, I've NEVER been bored at a meeting.  Never.  But I might be a bit "different"

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 9:43am

Jon,

I'm not sure if "different" is the right word.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Skyetone,

No luck, I can't keep things interesting, it isn't in my nature.

Adam

Adam, If Someone could keep the meetings interesting it wouldn't matter we would just come and stay until dinner.   Maybe Jon could keep it interesting since he's never bored.

By the way, I am rarely bored at a meeting and never for long.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic