Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Controller is the way to go?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Controller is the way to go?
    Posted: May 13 2009 at 10:57am
There has been a few posts about controllers this morning ..... and I my self am to the point where I would want to be text or notified somehow if something bad was to happen to the tank heater turned off etc

also I'm curious to how many choices there are? and what the best choice is when it comes to choosing a controller?

can someone name them all? 
which controllers do you guys use?

Thanks - Nick
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 1:04pm
Aquacontroller 3 Pro will do all the above and then some!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 1:16pm
Im a big fan of AC the support is outstanding!!!
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 1:22pm
Ditto Rioreefer, right after I got the acjr the temp probe had a problem and they were awesome to work with to get it replaced.
Pleasant Grove
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 1:56pm

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Aquacontroller 3 Pro will do all the above and then some!

If you want the email or in my case text message ability you will need to go with at least the ACIII.  Very handy and well worth the money. I have mine set up to warn me of many things, but I also have it hooked up to a water sensor to shut down certain systems and pumps if there is water on the floor.  Also the ACIII is hooked up to a siren to let my family know if there is a Major issue in the basement that needs their attention.

I almost need to upgrade to the ACIII pro.  The ACIII is almost the same as the pro, however the ACIII can only control 24 outlets....Anyway, Neptune systems are suppose to becomming out with an upgraded version of the Aquacontroler line.  I am looking forward to that.

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 2:05pm
What if the main power goes out? How is it going to be on to send alerts? Also my internet router takes power to even send a signal..... Just a thought.
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Roy Roy wrote:

What if the main power goes out? How is it going to be on to send alerts? Also my internet router takes power to even send a signal..... Just a thought.

One word....generator...

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 3:27pm
Love the generator!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 3:33pm

Along those lines... do you know if anyone in the club runs a UPS on their tank?

Pleasant Grove
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 3:37pm
I do need to get a battery backup =)  or a generator... but are you guys using a natural gas system? or are we talkin gas power? because if your power goes out you still have to be home to start up the gas generator..
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:18pm
If you plan on spending north of $400 for a controller or you want a feature set that is pretty future-proof, I would wait until the release of the Neptune Apex.

There is another thread on here somewhere about it that I authored.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:35pm
I do like the apex....Here is a link if others want to read about it

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:36pm
ACIII for me.

Mike

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 8:01am
speaking of power outage...  just woke up to my girlfriend saying "the power is out"  but before I got out of bed... it was already back on, no idea how long it was off....  but  I'm pretty sure I'll spend the rest of the day figuring out a battery backup  maybe buying a vortech with battery backup and/or a simple computer battery backup to run other pumps? (speaking of these) does anyone know where to get a decent one that would run pumps for a while ? or does anyone run something like this on there system?

I also would need help figuring out which type of computer battery backup would even run a  pump for X amount of time? (I know alot of them are just designed for power flickers so no data is lost and only cover 3-5 minutes of battery backup)  I'm looking for something that can at least cover 12+ hours

Edited by Nick801 - May 14 2009 at 8:22am
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 5:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic