Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Activated Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Activated Carbon
    Posted: March 24 2003 at 10:38am
Just wondering if anyone is using activated carbon in their tank.  I use about 3 oz. of it, changed every month in my tank.
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 2:07pm

I run carbon 24/7 in the output of my skimmer. About 2 cups in a mesh bag, changed every month or two.

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 2:17pm

I just started using it in my reef tank, about 2 cups also in a mesh bag.

John Fletcher "ReefAquarist"

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 8:42pm
My Emporer filter has compartments where I place 2 cartridges containing activated carbon.  Though the activated carbon only remains activated for mabe 3 weeks at best I only change the filters out roughly every month and a half.  Originally I was just trying to be frugal.   Julian Sprung mentioned in his lecture to the WMAS that you shouldn't run activated carbon all of the time in a reef aquarium.   
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 9:47pm

I've use GAC when the water clarity suffers.  It does a good job clearing the water column.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 4:52pm

Here is my understanding of the subject gleaned from all the WMAS guest speakers over the last 8 years.

Activated Carbon, Protein Skimming, and Algae Scrubbing (algae growing in the sump) all do essentially the same thing. They take organic molecules/compounds out of the water.

The reason we use skimming is that it is cheaper than carbon and does not color the water as does algae scrubbing (depending on the type of algae)!

The reason we use algae scrubbing is it is more fun than carbon or skimming, but is does leave a slight yellow-green color most people don't even notice.

Carbon used 24/7 is not wise. It strips the water of so many nutrients that it has been linked to lateral line disease in fish.

Mark's 2 cents

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 5:34pm

Even if you don't mind the slight yellow-green tint in the water, your lights will deliver more "photons" to your corals with crystal clear water.

There are aquariasts who claim to use carbon 24/7 without problems (devils advocate again :) ).  I don't because I think it's a waste of money.  Then again Mark could be right...

If you inject ozone in your skimmer, you should, imo, always run the skimmer effluent through a carbon bed.

Jon's 2 cents

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 6:22pm
I run about a cup of Activated Carbon for several days each month, mainly because I don't like the looks of yellow water....
Jeff Hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 5:23pm
I run carbon for about 24 hours at a time twice a month.  Get rid of that yellow tint and lets the light penetrate the water better.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2003 at 3:04pm
 I am planning on running a seperate cansiter filter for carbon and running it  on a timmer so it only runs about 50% of the time. I dont know how well this will work but I will find out.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic