Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TLP Aquarium will not be on ballot - SLT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TLP Aquarium will not be on ballot - SLT
    Posted: August 18 2004 at 9:40am

You can read the story here.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2396430

There is also a link on the front page.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 9:58am

A soccer stadium???   I hate soccer.

And I think the suggestion regarding a partnership with Hogle Zoo has merit.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 10:00am

I love soccer.  Play often, but I don't think a stadium is necessary.  We already have stadiums.  Yes, I too think that they need to be a part of Hogle Zoo.  If not, then I'm glad this whole mess is soon to be over with, so we can focus on other things.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 10:19am
Re-edited for Adam
Amen.

Just got a call from Doug Sheppard, an Aquarist at TLP Gateway. He's planning on coming up to get some stuff tonight. I asked him to comment on how it's looking around there after the news.

At the Gateway, Doug says they believe the Council intends to put it on the ballot next year. Patrons/visitors are still streaming in and they hope to show that their preview site is self sustaining, so why not build the full aquarium! They could build elsewhere or could find that same property is much reduced in price after 2005 if nobody else develops it.

So, personally, even though I have issues with Brent as the boss, I really believe it would be great to have a Public Aquarium in Utah.

I encourage Doug to respond here if he reads this thread.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 10:52am
They should just "fire" Brent and put the Hogle Zoo in charge.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 11:10am

Mark,

why edit your post?  I would have simply created another post, as I'm unclear on what you are now saying. 
Jared- I agree.

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 11:40am

Mark- Thanks.

Jared- how about they give it to us?  That'd be even better.

Adam

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Mark- Thanks.

Jared- how about they give it to us?  That'd be even better.

Adam

I think WMAS would do a great job running the project, however I think it would be at the detriment of the club.  Because the aquarium is a public project and thus using tax money we would have out side parties trying to manipulate and alter how we do things now.  There might also be a problem with having people out site of Salt Lake county deciding how local tax money is spent.

Even though I'd love to see a public aquarium I think WMAS does far more good and is much more valuable to the community.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 12:28pm
What if we were to contact each county commissioner and personally invite them to the Reef Tour! They may be unaware of the extent of the hobby along the Wasatch Front.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 1:00pm
I think that would be an excellent Idea.  Besides, it may actually get them interested in the project instead of just being bystanders.  (I don't think it would hurt to have another addict in government)

Edited by acerob
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 1:53pm

Jon

MLS is looking to relocate a couple of it's teams and SLC is on the list of candidates so I believe that's why it mentioned a soccer stadium. I would have figured though that Rice-Eccles would have been a good enough venue though.

It would make sense to team-up with the Hogle Zoo. Personally I hope they don't put it next to the zoo because I never remember that turn.

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 2:19pm

Originally posted by vangvace vangvace wrote:

Personally I hope they don't put it next to the zoo because I never remember that turn.

But that's just it.  You would remember that turn if there were a public aquarium there.

I also agree that Hogle Zoo should be in charge.  That way it would fall under the ZAP Tax and have future funding.  As long as we all vote for ZAP to continue that is.

Edited by wsinbad1
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by vangvace vangvace wrote:

Jon

MLS is looking to relocate a couple of it's teams and SLC is on the list of candidates so I believe that's why it mentioned a soccer stadium. I would have figured though that Rice-Eccles would have been a good enough venue though.

It would make sense to team-up with the Hogle Zoo. Personally I hope they don't put it next to the zoo because I never remember that turn.

SLC has already gotten the team.  I think the idea behind a stadium is the fact that the team will not have to share revenue with anyone else, that is the only way that soccer can really succeed as a major league sport.

Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 2:47pm

Hey I've got an idea.  Cabelas is building a new store in Lehi http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutu s/retail-detail.jhtml;jsessionid=JJMQHDIUDPJAGCWQNVDCCNIK0BW UOIWE?detailedInformationURL=..%2F..%2F..%2Fcontent%2Fcommun ity%2Faboutus%2Fretail%2Fretail_stores%2Flehi%2Flehi_press.j html&rid=4000120081304

It will include "a 50,000 gallon walk through aquarium with fish native to the area".  All we need to do is convince Cabelas that reefs are native to Utah.  Or maybe they could spare 20,000 gallons for a nice reef display

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 2:57pm

Jon,

Honestly I see Cabelas having a much better chance of making it work.

Adam

acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 3:35pm
If you have ever been to cabella's you know that they can.
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by acerob acerob wrote:

If you have ever been to cabella's you know that they can.

Amen to that!  Their store in Nebraska is awesome!

As far as joining with Hogle Zoo, I would be against that.  I like the Zoo, I just feel it is poorly managed and has been for quite a while.  Just my $0.02

Edited by rstruhs
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 6:44pm

Let's invite the Cabella's Board to the Reef Tour.  Maybe that would convince them that Coral Reefs are native to Utah.

Acutally, a Cabella's here could be a very bad thing.  I won't have any money left at all after shopping for fish and for fishing gear.

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 5:28am

Originally posted by wsinbad1 wsinbad1 wrote:

Acutally, a Cabella's here could be a very bad thing.  I won't have any money left at all after shopping for fish and for fishing gear.

Yeah, and hunging gear, and targets, and t-shirts, and camo, and camping stuff, and a boat, and a trailer, and ??? did I leave anything out?

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 6:31am
I think mark hit it on the head by getting people in the upper ends of the political mess to come see the reefs. But they would probably be doing....um.... something else that day.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic