Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scooter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scooter
    Posted: June 20 2009 at 11:23pm
I picked up a scooter blenny at the Aquarium today. I really like him but when I asked the sales guy if he needed any special diet or care I was told that he would eat any food and pick scraps from the gravel. A web search indicates that these fish are difficult to keep and require lots of live rock and copapods to thrive. Does anyone have any advice for keeping these fish?

I have him in a 20G tank with a Fairy Wrass, lots of live Utah Rock, and Carib Sea Special Grade sand. There are tons of pods (they completely cover the glass), a cleaning crew, a few zoos and acanes but no sump or refugium. Both the fish were added today so I'm not sure how long it will take them to clear out most of the pods. I would like to heare about any experience you have with Scooter Blennies.

Thanks,
Burt
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 9:33am
Diet Information: Carnivorous - eats small crustaceans and other small marine organisms. They will sift through the sand looking for food and the small pointed shape of their mouth is ideal for catching microfauna. Live brine is ideal for the aquarium, very small particles of meaty foods can also be offered.
RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
ksarcury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarcury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 11:13am

Our current scooter blenny eats mysys, brine, rods food, Curtis's stinky food (personal joke), almost anything we drop in the tank, as long as it can get to the bottom.

We have had one in the past that did not eat prepared food.  It varies from fish to fish.

For future reference, one good habit we learned the hard way - have the fish store feed the fish while you watch and make sure it eats before you purchase it.

Kenna

Edited by ksarcury - June 21 2009 at 11:13am
90 gal. reef
12 g. nano w/acans
34 g. salano system
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 12:06pm

My Scooter seems to be eating the pods in the tank well. I guess I will have to wait until the population drops to see if he will eat other foods. He's a cool fish and I hope it will work out in this tank.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 1:09pm

When I had one i made a rock so that it would block brine and flow so that the brine would move slow and he could catch them. It was cool once he learned where to get food he would always run to the rock when i put food it. I have also had them float up in the water to catch them.

75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic