Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lyscer's 10Gal build *UPDATED Dec 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 4:31pm
I have been battling cyano-bacteria for a couple months. I have tried less feeding, shorter photoperiod and more frequent water changes. None of it seemed to be helping so I decided that I would add a sump and a fuge(which isn't finished yet).

I added a 10 gallon tank for the sump. I siliconed in a plexiglass divider to help filter out the micro bubbles from the skimmer and it appears to be doing its job. Then, I added a mag 3 for the return pump, which ended up being WAY to powerful, so I added a ball valve to reduce the flow, to something more manageable. 

The skimmer is a bit overkill, but I got a killer deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up. I am currently running the skimmer while the lights are on (1:30pm-7pm). Hopefully I'll be able to increase the photoperiod once I get some sand/rock/macro and actually have a fuge down here.

And here is a picture of my "custom" overflow (Aquaclear overflow). I cut the from of the Aquaclear overflow off so that the tank could sit closer to the wall. The water level sat too high when the filter was hanging on the tank, which is why I didn't go with that option. The overflow stays put because it is sandwiched between the tank and the wall. I have a 1.5" tube going from the overflow in the tank, into the aquaclear overflow. I am still undecided, but I think I am going to put a smaller overflow in the tank to free up some room on the sand.

I'll post some more updates once I add the refugium into the sump.
partsguy247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 12:52pm
I really like your set up so far. Your tank set up is a lot like mine.
Its hard on a pump to be restricted with ball valve. I would recommend putting a Tee in your return plumbing. This way you can still control the flow but the pump can run free.
Here is a picture of how my return plumbing was set up.

You dont have to transfer the extra water to a different chamber. My current return has the extra water dump right back next to the pump.
Just my two cents.Smile
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 2:40pm
I love the triple-baffle method for removing microbubbles - it's always very effective and it's easy to tell at a glance if you need to add water to the system.  If you wanted, you could easily rig up a bucket of RO and a siphon line for quick n' dirty (and cheap!) auto-top off.

Does anyone know if you could PH-buffer by running an air bubbler to the drain area?  That way the bubbles don't get to the display, but you get the PH-buffering caused by air-water contact?
The coolest members of the club have anemone fish avatars!
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 11:01pm
Lyscer, nice setup.  Do you have more pics of your sump and stand?  Just curious.
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 12:23am
I just added a couple more things to the sump, I added a small container filled with sand and I plan on adding some rock in the near future so that it will be more of a traditional fuge.

Here is a top view: I have a small plexiglass piece between the fuge area and the return pump to help the calurpa stay away from the return pump.

Here is a side shot:

As far as the stand goes - I just bought this one from walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Deluxe-Aquarium-20-29-Stand-1-ct/10403801

My only complaint is that it is not sealed very well. It sucks up water and bubbles really easy.
leafeater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leafeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 9:25pm
Hey Dale,

Great looking tank. Did you get the MJ400 okay? It is gone so I am hoping that it was you.

Looks great keep up the good progress
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 9:16am
it is coming along slowly but surely. I wanted to wait and post an update until after I added rock to the sump. I picked some up yesterday so here is my update. I think that the sump/refugium is pretty much finished. I just need to arrange the rock to make it look a little cleaner because right now it just looks really messy. I also added a couple of corals. This was taken with the camera flash since the lights were out Wall Hammer Here is a picture of the refugium looking ugly because I haven't had time to rearrange the rock Another shot of the refugium. I love the skimmer, it has been pulling lots of skimmate
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 9:35am
Nice setup.  Do you see a difference with and without your skimmer.
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 10:53am
I added the skimmer because I had cyano bacteria growing and failed to rid myself of it after trying many things. I didn't want to use a chemical to kill it so I decided to try a skimmer. It seems like it has helped rid myself of the cyano. I also don't really care about overfeeding as much because I know that the skimmer picks up the slack. Overall it just helps so that I can be a lazier with my tank.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 4:02pm
Love that wall hammer. Very good looking setup.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 8:56pm
< ="utf-8">
I wanted to post an update as it has been a long time since one has been posted. Basically nothing has grown in the past year. The lights seem as though they are great at maintaining the system but don't really support growth of items at the bottom of the tank. Because of this I just upgraded my lighting and made a screen top. I am sure that I will see the tank explode with growth in the coming months.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 9:26pm
have you acclimated your corals to the new lights?
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 9:56pm
Tonight is the first night and I cut the photoperiod WAY down, so today is the first acclimation day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic