Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Start of RBTA prop system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start of RBTA prop system
    Posted: July 01 2009 at 6:05pm

I picked up some LBTR from Mark Peterson on my way home from vacation in Montana.  I told Mark I was going to use the rock in a rose bubble tip anemone propagation system.  I sent him some pictures so he could check out what I have so far.  He asked me to share them here with you guys.  These were all in a 46 gallon bowfront tank with PC lights.  Hopefully they will grow faster now with a 400 watt metal halide:)  They are all clones of each other.  I have cut them and they split on their own.

They have all bubbled up like this in the new tank.

I had just gotten them all off the rocks from the old tank and let them loose in the 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank.  I put some pvc scrap in the tank for them to attach to.  The long pvc piece has holes drilled in it for flow (like an underwater spray bar).

As I got them off the rocks I put them in the baskets until they were all removed from the rocks.

Close up of one of the baskets full of anemones.  There were about 20 in this basket.  Most of them are small.  They like to group together.

DIY stretch lumenarc type reflector for the tank.

Edited by Jeremy - July 01 2009 at 6:09pm
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 6:18pm
Very interesting idea. I guess I've never considered anemone propagation like this.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 7:52pm
That is cool!

Mike

tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 10:29pm
I love it! Great way to save our environment :)
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 10:41pm

Welcome Jeremy.  What do you plan to do with them?

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 10:48pm
Jeremy,

You may want to line the bottom of the tank with patio carpet.  This allows the anemones to attach to the carpet, but also allows you to easy remove the anemones for sale or propagation.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 11:07pm
Turbostud,

Hopefully one day I'll have a few hundred and supply them to a wholesale place in LA or something like that.  I'm just trying to build up my stock right now.  I've probably traded and sold about 20 so far.  It looks like I have about 50 right now.  Some of them are really small.

Jake,

I've read about the carpet on the archived forums on marine depot but I never did see pictures of anyone that was succesful with it in the tank.  Do you know anyone that uses it?  They actually seem to attach well to the rubbermaid tank.   
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 11:43pm
that is pretty awesome. i wish you the best. part of my frag tank will be for anemone prop, maybe...if i decide to get out of anemones i have a sweet super purple foot RBTA that i picked up from someone in oregon. dont know if it's worth the risk of stinging my corals and other anemones died in move...so may get rid of it.

very nice setup, love it.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
ksarcury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarcury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 7:31am
Hey Jeremy

Very cool!  Where did you get the reflector material you used for the light?

Thanks.

Kenna
90 gal. reef
12 g. nano w/acans
34 g. salano system
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Jeremy Jeremy wrote:

I've read about the carpet on the archived forums on marine depot but I never did see pictures of anyone that was succesful with it in the tank.  Do you know anyone that uses it?  They actually seem to attach well to the rubbermaid tank.   

This is very common.  I have a ton of pics that I'll try to post this weekend.
Also, if the carpet doesn't work out well for you, I'd recommend using something like window screen. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 9:48am
What do RTBA go for?
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by ksarcury ksarcury wrote:

Hey Jeremy

Very cool!  Where did you get the reflector material you used for the light?

Thanks.

Kenna

The reflector material is 95% reflective german hammertone aluminum and I bought it at a local hydroponics store.  It came in a 2'X4' sheet.   I saw it online from sunlight supply for about $150 shipped for 4 2X4 sheets, but I only needed one sheet.  The local store sold me one piece for $40.  I was originally going to go with the skylight extension tube from Lowes or Homedepot but saw on RC that this stuff is thicker.  Plus, some say the hammertone finish is better.

I've seen rose anemones from $90 to $150 in fishstores around here.  They are normally bleached too.  The best way to get one is from someone in your club.  Then you know it is adapted to living in an aquarium, and they are usually much cheaper from another reefer.

Edited by Jeremy - July 02 2009 at 10:09am
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:12am
I agree with Jeremy on that.  Prices for RBTA are all over the place.  The last couple I bought cost me $10 from people in this club.  I see them for $30 all the time at (as in dozens of them) at trade shows.  But I also see them for $80 in local stores. 
Crazy.

Adam
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:54am
we do this too however they arent special enough to have their own tank :)  they live in our clown breeding system
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 12:18pm
Awesome Jeremy.Thumbs Up Thanks for sharing.

Is there a program you used to create the reflector pattern or did you draw it up yourself?

I have taken rocks out of my frag systems and broken them up to sell certain coral or anemone that were attached to one side.
If it were me I would place an inch of Oolitic sand on the bottom and then a layer of LBTR rubble all over the bottom of the tank. The anemones would then each have their own small rock or two. I would imagine the reason for using rug is that most hobbyists and coral farmers do not have access to LBTR.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 02 2009 at 12:23pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 2:35pm

well usually you dont want to give the rock away. the reason for not having rock in there is easy access to remove anemones and propagate them

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 2:47pm

Like Adam I have seen the carpet used many times.  It allows you to remove the anemone without any damage or stress to the foot.  If you are able to remove the anemones easy from their current container then I wouldn't worry about.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Jeremy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Awesome Jeremy.Thumbs Up Thanks for sharing.

Is there a program you used to create the reflector pattern or did you draw it up yourself?

This site explains how to build the reflector.

This link has the pattern in different formats.  I used the dwg file with a viewer so I could print it out without all the black.  Then I just had it enlarged at Kinkos.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2009 at 9:11am

It is cool to see another successful DIYer.

A few months ago I traded for a 250W MH to light a braceless 75 that was to be a frag tank. With no center brace the top is wide open so I figured a single 250 would light it perfectly, if I could get the light to spread out the full 4 foot length.
So I mapped out the reflective angles and devised a wood frame of plywood and 1x2's. I then carefully cut up the only piece of mirrored aluminum I had left. It needed to fit exactly on the frame without coming up short. It worked! Here are pics of it in the morning when the sun is shining on it. The light comes on from noon to 10PM
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 2:32pm
Thanks for the reminder... I forgot about this.  Here are some pics of the carpet lined tanks, and the other common method of using a material like window screen to make baskets.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic