Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 2009 TOTM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May 2009 TOTM
    Posted: July 05 2009 at 5:29pm
After much Delay. We present BOB's Awesome System.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 6:05pm
Very Cool Bob! I love your tank. So, can I ask questions here?

-Your trigger? And Angel? Love them, but are they reef safe? I want to get a sargassum trigger, and potentially an emperor angel, but have heard so much about them not being reef safe. What is your experience?

-I haven't really ever read much about plenums. What is the purpose of the PVC fittings under the eggcrate? How does the plenum system work?
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 7:18pm
Till Bob can come on and answer himself, here is the link to his build of this system. Grab a bowl of popcorn and a sharp pencil for notes and begin reading.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 10:05pm
Congratulations Bob!

Mike

downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 8:56pm
Bob, oh Bob, you around? I wanna find out about those fish and their reef "safe"-ness.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 3:48pm

Hey guys- Smile

I have been on vacation out in Minnesota the past 10 days Clap

Just got back last night

Anyway, DB, I haven't had any "reef safe" type problems with the Trigger at all... I even still have all my Peppermint Shrimp and Fire Shrimp... I'm not 100% sure about the Saragassum but I think you would be OK with one in a reef setup...

The Queen I ended up giving away (johnhill has it now) in part because it wasn't 100% reef safe... it would eat zoas and candycanes; although it pretty much left everything else alone. It did not bother any of the "bubble" LPS (like Hammer, Frogspawn, Brains and Bubble corals) and ignored all the SPS... didn't bother any soft corals or leathers either.

I'd probably give a small Emperor a try. Just remember that they can get big though.

As far as the plenum goes, the PVC elbows are used to raise the screen "platform" off the bottom of the tank, to provide a "void space" underneath. It is within that void space that the denitrifying bacteria colonize and where the actual nitrate conversion takes place.

Pretty much the same principle as a DSB without the potential "crash" issues that can be a problem with a DSB.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 5:00pm
Downhill biker-
-Your trigger? And Angel? Love them, but are they reef safe? I want to get a sargassum trigger, and potentially an emperor angel, but have heard so much about them not being reef safe. What is your experience?
I had an emperor for almost a year and a half before I decided to sell him. The only issue I had was my candy cane coral. He would nip at them to the point of skeletal tissue only. No big, fat, juicy candy cane (untill I sold him) Such a pretty fish. Sad to see him go.
I have had a Bluechin Trigger for some time with no problems at all. Your main concern with a sargassum would probably be ornamental shrimp.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 11:24pm

If you haven't seen bobs tank you should check it out.  It is amazing.

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:37pm
Full tank shot.

Under the stand

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:42pm
Pink Hammer coral

Open Brain

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:45pm
Spotted Mushroom

Rhodactis Mushroom

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:48pm
Pom Pom Xenia

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:51pm
Sponges

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:54pm
Toadstool Leather

Yellow Fiji Leather

Green Sinularia

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:57pm
Sebae Anemones

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 5:00pm
Zoanthids

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 5:02pm
Long Spine Urchin

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 5:05pm
Bubble coral

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 5:09pm
Clownfish in Frogspawn

Lyretail Anthias

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - July 25 2009 at 5:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 5:13pm
Sixline Wrasse

Banggai Cardinal

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic