Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frag Tank Hiatt Style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:22pm
Bot to answer your question adam said he didn't think anything solid come out of research. I think that means he probably doesn't think it is "good science". 
I also would be interested in seeing the results on a control tank study, but I don't know that it would be worth the time and work for anyone that I know to test it out. 
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:26pm
Fishbot- I actually disagree with the claims (personally).  I'm sure the science works and the tanks will work just fine (as Burt and others have shown).  But like you, I too think you could do the same (actually I think better) using aragonite sand and a chunk of live rock.  So I can't really support the idea and claims with what has been shown.

So, I actually agree with your posts.  Just not the way you posted it.

Oh, and I admit it.... Ryan caught me.... I don't have plans this weekend.  I was just being optimistic. Embarrassed

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:27pm
Fishbot

Why don't you go over there and pontificate rather than trying to hijack this thread. This thread is simply documenting my experience and whether you agree or not I have been unbiased in my reporting of my experience.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:29pm
Burt- that is a good post, and a good idea. 

A second thread for discussion is probably better... so Burt can go back to simply reporting the status of his tank. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 9:49pm
Burt, I am interested in your honest blog on how this works. A control would have been nice, but maybe not aligned with your goal (if you want to drop extra coin thats your perogative).

As for Fishbot, I am glad that someone can manage to be perceived as a bigger dick than me.

For Chad, why did you make me look at this thread!!!  Stern Smile
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 10:57pm
Hi Fu

I can't believe how this is all turning out, such drama. Anyway I started this whole thing back 5 months ago because my Dad asked me to help him set up a Reef Tank. I had no experience but had always wanted to do one. My Dad is a very active person and Golf Pro who had just had major surgery for pancreatic cancer and now was home bound. I researched setting up a reef and we got started. We picked out a Red Sea Max 130D and bought some live rock and started the cycle process. Dad complained that he would be dead before he could even put fish in the tank so I started looking for a faster way to set up a reef tank.

I came across the Hiatt system in my research and tried to get some good info on the product as it promised what Dad was looking for, a quick cycle. Believe me when I tell you at the time I didn't know if Dad would make it to see his tank stocked. Unfortunately this same controversy surrounded the product back then but none of the critics had actually tried the system. They just bashed it. So I kept looking for someone to show me that it worked. Thats when I met Stan and Debbie Hunter on-line and learned about their experience. I decided to give it a try and see if all the doom and gloom was founded or if the product worked. I'm not a scientist so I tried to follow the Hiatt system just as they outlined but my system didn't match their configuration. The Hunters helped me figure out how to adapt a JBJ 28G nano to work with the system and I gave it a try.

OK thats the background. Basically I was looking for a way around the 6 week cycle without having to buy fully cured live rock, sand and water.

My opinion is that the system is great for cycling a tank quickly but that it becomes less relevant as a tank matures and the natural bacteria become established in the system. My tanks have matured just like a cycling tank with brown algae, then green algae and now turning pink. I have had Fish in the tank after day 1 and coral after the first week. I now have Monticap, Millipora, several LPS and soft corals all growing rapidly in my system along with a Yellow Wrasse 2 Green Chromis a Clown Wrasse, and Copper Banded Butterfly fish in my original system. I haven't had a problem with ammonia, nitrites or nitrates and the system has been stable enough for me to work in California 3 to 4 days a week with the automation I set up.

I think that if I removed the Carbon and PH Rock that my system would now be capable of continuing just like any other cycled tank though now that the corals are getting bigger and the fish are doing well I don't want to upset things by pulling out the Hiatt products. That said I don't add any additional products or change the Carbon. That's because the carbon is not used for chemical filtration but as a bed for the Right Now bacteria.

My take on the system is that it is relatively inexpensive to use. Doesn't take require continued replacement of any products so there is no ongoing cost and it works as claimed. Whether it is natural or not I guess is a matter of opinion. Bill Hiatt claims that the bacteria is 100% natural but I have to admit that it doesn't occur in the natural reefs the same way that bacteria occurs in live rock and sand. I don't think it is the greatest thing since Salt Mix but it is a tool that can be used if one desires to quickly setup a stable system.

Hope this helps,
Burt
Burt

[email protected]
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I personally would like to see you banned from this site and all your posts deleted by a moderator. I know one of them is reading this thread. If you have a problem with the Hiatt system then test it and post your findings. Don't come in here being an ASS! Get off this site and go bug Reef Central!

Ryan, I am more bothered with this comment than those of the new site member FishBot. I find forums that rely on moderators to jump in, freeze threads, delete threads, etc. to be too heavy handed and borderline fascist. With the exception of someone all out swearing and off-topic name calling, the other members can take care of the issue as was done in this case.

Leave the thread deleting, user banning and other Mussolini tactics to those over at RC!!!

dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 1:17am

Great Job.  I am following this thread to learn another way.  I learned another way but for one I really like to learn other things.  other options and withthat I am glad to see that this is working for you, and I hope that it works really well because you are doing it for your dad and that is simply awesome.  That is what the hobby is all about.  I hope that your dad is enjoying the tank and learning some new things. 

ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 7:25am

Thanks Dustin,

Dad is doing very well thanks, It's been a little over a year since his surgery and he is now back to teaching golf at the ranches golf course. He does love his reef and calls me at least weekly to tell me something new he spotted in the rocks.
Burt

[email protected]
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 9:01am
That is sweet! 

Let's leave this hate behind and move on to more reefing...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 3:36pm
I am glad that he is back to his way of life with an added hobby.  I love having such an intriging hobby in house.  I mean fishing, and basketball and what not are fun but to have something to do while at home inside is also fun.  What part of Utah do you live in?  I am in Idaho but i would like to see your set up the next time that I come down that way. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 4:13pm

Dustin,

Your welcome to come by any time you are in the area. I live in Lehi right on the northern edge of Utah County. My daughter lives in Idaho Falls so we occasionally get out your way as well. I'll have to look you up next time we are up there.
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 11:00pm
sent you a pm, let me know when you are in town and come on by
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 1:10am
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

As for Fishbot, I am glad that someone can manage to be perceived as a bigger dick than me. (Dam that would be such a great signiture line!!)

For Chad, why did you make me look at this thread!!!  Stern Smile

In other words its all CHAD'S fault!!!!!

I feel bad I hadn't been following Burt's thread all along. I personally don't care either way. I know what works for me and it might not work for others. However I'm not going to crucify someone for their beliefs. If it works great. If it doesn't  then lesson learned.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 10:05am
I told Fu I was interested in his take on this thread that's why he put that comment.

What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 10:11am
OK, Hopefully we are done with all the distractions and this thread can get back to the simple progress of my frag tank.

I am still waiting on the lighting fixture but have some temp lights on it so I put a few items in and thought I would share a few pics of a few frags I got from other club members.

This is just the tank as it sits now.

Pom Pom Xenia. This stuff is like working with a ball of slime. I used the needle and thread technique to mount it to this rock but it was like sewing jello so I stuck the rest in a container with rubble rock to see if it will attach itself.

This is a frag I got from Jeremy Yesterday

These are some long skirt zoas that I took out of my Nano. they have been spreading like crazy in there

This is my favorite frag. I think they're called Eagle Eyes.

When my lights come in I will be looking for a variety of stuff to fill it up.

Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 1:56pm

Just built a shelf to put the new ATO on and other stuff in the room because the tank is in my grandkids play room and they are coming over to visit next week.

Another shot of the frags.

Burt

[email protected]
boxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 5:59pm
your frag tank looks great,do you just have beads of silicone on the glass with egg crates on top for shelving?
what lights are you going to use,mh or t5?
just curious,
Terry
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 6:20pm
Hi  Boxer,

No, Actually I picked up some acrylic corner guards that are used to protect wallpaper and installed them against the glass with silicone. The eggcrate rests on these rails.

The lights are temporary T5HO on one side and standard T5 on the other. I am waiting for an industrial 4 Tube T5HO fixture that will mount to the bottom of the shelf above the tank. When I get the new fixture I'll be able to use the lower shelves on the tank for softies and LPS and the upper shelves for SPS.

Edited by bfessler - September 12 2009 at 6:21pm
Burt

[email protected]
boxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 7:02pm
cant wait to see it with your new lights
Friendship is like peeing your pants--everyone can see it,but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic