Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jessekin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessekin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster!
    Posted: August 03 2009 at 4:14pm
I had a post like this one in a different category, but it wouldn't have been found if someone was trying to find a build thread for it in General. So here you are folks! The HGB!

Ok, first you need the following materials:

- 1" PVC Pipe (at LEAST 5" long)
- 1" Endcap
- 1.5" x 1" Bushing
- 1.5" x 1.5" Coupling
- Your desired lenght of Small air tubing. 
- And something to drill holes with :D

(sorry, I couldnt get the coupling and the bushing apart, so they are one piece in the picture @_@)

Step 1: Slide the Air Tubing through the drilled hole in the 1" Endcap.

Step 2: Place your 1" Endcap over /w Air tubing on your 1" PVC with 1/2" x5 evenly spaced drilled holes.

Step 3: Sand the inside of the 1.5" x 1" Bushing so that your 1" PVC pip with drilled holes can slide through with considerable resistance, and place into either end of the 1.5" x 1.5" Coupling.

Step 4: Now slide the 2 pieces together to create your mechanical contraption - The Hofer Gurgle Buster!

Wow.
You just created the device that will bring an end to all noise in the unverse. Good Job! (or at the very least your aqaurium.)

Now that you made it, lets get to know it a bit more!

In this picture, you see the HGB FULLY open. With it like this, it's at MAXIUMUM FLOWAGE!

But, if you think you want it to be a bit more silent, and you think it could sacrifce a bit of its Maxium "Gallons Per Hour," simply slide your Bush and Coupling piece up the PVC pipe to partially block the holes inside.

Heres some pictures of my HGB:

Before:

After!:

WAZZAM!

Thanks again everyone for reading my guide. 
I hope your tanks become alot less loud. :D
Jesse Sandstrom - The Grand Master Flash

1.5 Gallon - Mantis Shrimp
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 8:50pm
Thanks for posting this. I have never heard of them before.

Mike

Jessekin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessekin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 7:16am
Haha, surprised you haven't :) This thing is DEAD silent the way i have it. It's amazing.
Jesse Sandstrom - The Grand Master Flash

1.5 Gallon - Mantis Shrimp
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 4:41pm
I built this and stuck it on my tank and it's really cut down on the noise. Much better!

The only thing is that I'm getting noise from the air tube. Is there a way too reduce that air noise through the tube? Did I use too small of tube? I shortened quite a bit and that helped a little. Any suggestions?

It's not a huge deal since it is sooooo much quieter than the gurgle I was getting, but if I could make it even quieter I'd be in heaven!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 5:43pm
I built a silencer for my skimmer and would think you could build one similar that would work would try taking 3/4 to 1 inch pvc and cut a peice about 2 inches long then put caps on  both sides and drill a hole big enough for your airline to go in one of the caps and drill the other cap and add about 3-4 inches of airline in that
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 6:08pm
So do I T it at the top of my gurgle buster with the 2 caps instead of 1?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 6:19pm
That's more complicated than but just as slender as the "modified durso" but if it's quieter...
Whoops, noise from the tube...looks like it's no better than a modified durso.
Where did the design come from?
Do you know the modified durso? It's faster. By that I mean it has greater water flow.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 13 2009 at 6:22pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 7:10pm
I use this model on my tanks and they are DEAD silent. Absolutely no noise from them. I like it a lot more than the durso I have on the 200g.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 7:47pm
It was super easy to set up and I'm quite happy with it.. I'm thinking that the air flow might not be sufficient so that's where the noise is coming from. I'm not 100% sure so I thought I would ask.

I thought about the durso but my corner tank has the built in overflow in the back and honestly I'm severely limited on room, so this model was preferable.

Edited by Luckedout - November 13 2009 at 7:48pm
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 8:51pm
I dont think a durso will fit in your tank I made a modified durso and am not happy with the noise it makes I want to make one of these I just havent got to it yet I will post pics of my silencer when I get a minute it is simple just hard to explain you take both caps and drill holes in them big enough for your air line to go in and in one pvc cap you put a piece of air line that has about 1.5 inches on both sides of the cap and the other cap you put your gurgle buster airline in about 1.5 inches and slide both caps on a short peace of pvc pipe
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 10:22pm
I think I'm going to have to have you explain in person or pics.. I'm confused.. :-)

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 10:40pm
I think if I get bored I might do this on my frag tank. I really dont need to because the tank is in the basement (which is currently unfinished) but I think it would be fun to try
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 12:34am
I know I set them up on Charlie's tank (chastings) and it went from sounding like a toilet to almost 100% silent.

As far as the air line making noise you might have to adjust it up or down to fix that. I assume you made the tube on a slide.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 12:39am
I've adjusted it up and down as far as placement. Pushed in farther.. pulled it out a bit. The one thing that did help was cutting down on how much was sticking out of the cap, but only to a point.

I agree that it did sound like a constantly running toilet and now is almost perfect. The tube sound isn't terribly annoying but if I can get it quieter, it would be better. The tank is in my office so at least it doesn't sound like I'm on the toilet as I take phone calls.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 1:53am
I really need to do this mod... how large at tank or how much flow can that handle with the parts and way you did it?? i have a 75 and just want to make sure that it can handle the flow or does it need to be made bigger?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 8:46am
Dang, if only I had a tank right now I'd be all over it this morning. Big smile I'd be building it and trying to get that DEAD silent effect that Curtis has. Smile

Horray, this is the first Saturday morning since coming back from Spain in August that I woke up and was able to say, "Alright , it's Saturday, I don't have to work today."
It felt absolutely marvelous to have worked 5 full days at my new job and now have Saurday to play. YahooooooooooBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 11:38am
Nice Mark, take a day for you and your wife. Dont work, just relax.

The mod can handle any size tank. When we did it on Charlie's tank 2 overflows handled his return, which was a reeflo hammerhead! He has a 180 or 210 or something. As seen in the pictures above you can drill holes, but I have found that if you cut squares out with a demel and leave 1/4" tabs between the holes it gives you more flow capabilities. I think these are almost limitless on the amount of flow they can handle. Trust me, I have pushed them. I have the parts and need to do it on my 200, since it is a little noisier than I want. Mark you want to come do it with me?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 11:44am
My tank is the 54g corner and I'm pumping about 1000gph through it. I was also worried about it being able to handle draining, but I think the gurgle actually slowed down my draining, because this thing drains much much faster and super quiet. I'm also getting less bubbles in my fuge. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

Nice Mark, take a day for you and your wife. Dont work, just relax.
Mark you want to come do it with me?
We did have a very nice weekend, thanksSmile
If only I was closer.Cry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 7:09pm
I guess for some reason I thought you were in salt lake city when I heard you were "back". I guess they meant back in Utah, back in the US.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic