Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Perfect" Temperature Range??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "Perfect" Temperature Range??
    Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:25pm
What does everyone consider the perfect temp range?? 
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:30pm

79 - 79

The more constant the temp the better off you are.

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:36pm

79 - 79

The more constant the temp the better off you are.

any reasons as to why??  Why 79 and why should it stay constant??

Edited by Travis
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:45pm
Depends on what you are keeping.  For most reefs I like to keep them a little cooler.  About 76-78 (if possible).
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:46pm

Stress is the main reason why you want to keep it as level as possible.  I keep mine at 79, the reason is that that is were it likes to migrate to.

Once my lights come on I have a hard time keeping it cooler then 79.  SO I try to maintain 79 rather then have the temp spike.

"No matter what temperature you decide to maintain your system at, the general consensus here is that any marine animal exposed to quick changing water temperatures will be stressed, and even though they may be able to handle the change for only a ever short time, if continually exposed they will probably die. When it comes to tank temperatures that are changed rapidly, or that may be constantly changing in degrees too much up or down for short periods of time, a variation of even 2° F can be enough to cause problems, especially for corals and other invertebrates. However, with gradual acclimation, marine organisms are amazing creatures and can adjust to their environments. To avoid the common pitfalls of temperature problems, the most important thing is to maintain a STEADY temperature at all times! "  ( http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/waterquality/a/aa061002_2.h tm August 30, 2004)

Edited by Kull

Daniel in Santaquin
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:51pm

Excellent point Jake.  What advantage does the cooler temps provide?? 

Great info Kull!!  I agree BTW.  Consistence in everything is very important IMO.

Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:54pm

Here are some "Expert" opinions:

"

• Ronald Shimek's view is that corals you have in your tank may come from many different ocean water temperatures, ranging from 72° F up to about 92° F. For example, keeping reef organisms from the central Indo-Pacific in the upper 70° F range will stress them, as it is too cold, because this is near the upper limits for subtropical organisms. He states that, "It would be better for all concerned if aquarists concentrated their efforts on maintaining separate systems for organisms from geographically disparate areas." In other words, knowing what kind of organisms you have and "where" they come from is an important factor when determining a tank temperature for your system.
  • Richard Harker's view is that, "A hobbyist who decides to increase the temperature of his or her tank needs to make sure that it is a stable tank with healthy corals, no sign of algae, and has equipment necessary to efficiently remove the increased waste products. Under these conditions it would be safe to increase the tank's temperature." However, he points out that rather than trying to run your temperatures high, you should reach a happy medium at about 79 degrees, because this temperature provides the largest margin of safety for the hobbyist, as corals have been shown to thrive in water several degrees on either side of this temperature"

(http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/waterquality/a/aa061002.htm August 30, 2004)

Again for me it isn't really what temp you choose to keep the system at it is maintaining it.

Also where the temp changes so does your ph and amount disolved Oxygen in the water also other import factors in keeping a healthy reef are affected such as the rate of decay, how quickly algae grows ect.

Daniel in Santaquin
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by Kull Kull wrote:

Once my lights come on I have a hard time keeping it cooler then 79.  SO I try to maintain 79 rather then have the temp spike.

This is one major reason I keep mine at 80.  It gets a little hotter during the summer but usually stays around 80.  Peaks at 82 on hot days.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:20pm

What does everyone consider the perfect temp range?? 

76°F days - 68°F nights... San Diego would be my paradise if it weren't for all those people!

If I could, I would keep my tank at 78°F, but I can't during the summer so for the last few months I've kept my tank at 80°F.  Come fall/winter, I'll drop it back down to 78°F (or maybe not??).  I also try to keep it as constant as possible.

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:24pm

More good info kull!!

that would be nice Jon... 

A little incite as to the purpose of this post...  I took my heaters out for a water change over the weekend and forgot to put them back in.  Wake up Sunday and the tank that is usually at 80 was at 74.  IMO that's 'way' to much of a swing... so it got me thinking.  edit: btw, this is not another heater vs no heaters thread...  not conserned about heater, just what the best temps are.

I've read articles that recommend 74-78, others that recommend 78-82 and some recent one that recommend 82-86.  & no real reasons as to why. 

The above articles are about the best as they recommend matching the critters with their natural environment or coming up with an average to accommodate them both.

Edited by Travis
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:30pm
I agree with Jake & Shimek, it really depends on the seahorse......

Our tanks are in our basement. i keep them at 74 degrees in the
winter, which is pretty much where it stays without a heater. In the
summer, its around 76`. All our life seems to have adapted to a
cooler temp.
Kull, does higher temps increase or decrease O2?
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 1:38pm
Suzy, the higher the temp the lower the O2 saturation.
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 2:17pm

As with most disolved gases, the higher the temp the lower the concentration of disolved gases.  Where is the chemist?  I was sure he would have something to say, I'm no chemist, but I do remember a few thngs from the days that I played one at School.

Some suggest that you can offset the to some extent the cause the higher tempuratures have on the disolved hases present by incresing your water flow.  I think that this is true to an extent, Water flow will make is so that you have available gasses thoughout the tank, and the concentration will be equal, it will keep you form having "dead zones" 

At any rate this is my 0.50

Good luck.

Daniel in Santaquin
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 2:44pm

I like lower temps for 2 reasons.

1.  Increased available O2.

2.  Lesser chance of "crashing a tank".

The only problems are:

1.  Corals and fish grow slower in cooler waters (not much though).

2.  It is hard (sometime impossible) to keep your temperature down.

Edited by Jake Pehrson
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 2:49pm

If you want to see how temperature and salinity effect O2 saturation check out this calculator:  http://www.aquanic.org/images/tools/oxygen.htm

Increasing your water flow can help you reach the saturation point, but can't boost you over it.  FWIW, I personally think that within the temperature ranges we are concerned with, it doesn't matter. 

From that program (O2 saturation):

76F/35 ppt/4300 ft elevation = 5.843 mg/l
82F/35 ppt/4300 ft elevation = 5.513 mg/l

That's only a 5% drop in oxygen.  Is that significant?

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:26pm

More interesting to me is the difference due to elevation ... 

Jake, are the tank crashes you are referring to due to over heating??  The largest problem for me so far is preventing temp drops.  This is not the first time the tank has hit the low 70's... 

Increased temperature is said to increase the inhabitants' metabolism.  I notice an increase in activity when the tank gets above 80.  Sunday everything seemed pretty lazy. 

Does anyone run on the high side (82-86)??

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:33pm

Some interesting information from Aquarium Corals, Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman.

In a study of 1,000 natural reefs the average temperature was found to be 82deg. Of those reefs tested the lower temperature reefs averaged 77deg and the higher temperature reefs averaged 86deg.

Edited by Travis
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:36pm
Heat enables algae blooms.

Like Jon, I could easily live in San Diego's climate, though all the coast of CA is fantastic.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:50pm
IMO nutrients enables algae blooms .  Bad lighting, heat, etc just allows the algae to consume the nutrients easier.

Edited by Travis
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Travis Travis wrote:

More interesting to me is the difference due to elevation ... 

No wonder I can't run here.

I think my tank is around 82. I'll have to check tonight

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic