Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24 gal. aquapod lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nanoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24 gal. aquapod lighting
    Posted: August 25 2009 at 2:42am
we are looking to purchase a pendant halide for our tank, but are unsure of what wattage of halide to purchase. if you can please take a look at this link and let me know if you have any ideas. i don't know if these are even any good, but they are a great deal/ we are looking more for growth, but color would be a great bonus as well!! thanks for any and all input!!
this is the basics!!
  • Dimensions - 17.00” x 8.00” x 2.50”
  • Dimensions w/brackets - 19.00” x 11.00” x 7.75”
  • Total wattage: 278W
  • Supports 1x 250W HQI lamps
  • Supports 2x 14W T5 HO lamps
  • Individual power cords for each function
  • External HQI controllers
  • Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
  • Removable cooling fan
  • Mounting brackets extends up to 24"
  • Tempered glass splash guard
  • Highly polished reflector
  • Optional hanging kit suspends fixture
  • CE Certified
  •  

W.J
    bio-cube reef
    chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 3:01am
    pesonally I think a 250w is overkill on a nano of that size. With that much light you are really going to run into temperature problems due to the heat put off by the light. 
    When I had my 24g nano, I had a sunpod 70w mh and I was able to grow everything from softies to SPS and I never had heat issues.  I even used the nano as a temporary frag tank while my 120g was in storage for 6+ months.  However if you are looking for a little more power then a 70w, then I would recommend the 150w sunpod.  You can usually find them used on places like nano-reefs.com for about the same price as the one from you posted from ebay.  Also the I am sure the quality of the sunpod would be much higher then the ebay model. 
    Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

nanoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 9:56am

we figured the 250w would be too much, just wasn't sure...don't know much about lighting. we are interested in the one on ebay because it comes with the t5's, and is already put together and ready to go. we are going to completely remove the lid off the tank and replace it with something else....ahhh what to do!!!

W.J
    bio-cube reef
    Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 10:49am
    I love my 150w sunpod on my 24 gallon nano. I dont have t5 supplements with it and dont mind that at all! Here is my post with what mine looks like and the colors of the corals under it!

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34719
    chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 3:22pm
    Here is what mine looked like with the 70w model, also no need for t5's IMO on a tank this size.
    (not the best picture but it gives you the idea)

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 5:53pm
    aquatraders has basically the same thing only a 150 watt metal halide and its only 99 dollars with free shipping... chad has 2 off them talk with him... i think they look nice on his tanks
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic