Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bleaching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Goonter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goonter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleaching
    Posted: September 11 2009 at 9:38am
So I am  very confused now...I had some 3-4 degree temp swings 3 weeks as well as a 2 weeks ago when outside was real hot... and i thought this was the major problem causing my corals to bleach and die off... but then i got a fan in the room and it has kept it 78-79 degrees, it has been a week, and i don't see any improvement in the corals health and i think some are continuing to die off...

I added sand to the aquarium (dead) because it was getting low. The light i have, i put a window screen under it because it heats up the tank too much. so it somewhat screens out a little light, but the corals i believe were used to it.

I feed the corals 1-2 times a week with oyster feast. I tested params... my salinity is 1.025-1.026. PH lowest was 7.9 Ca 415 Mg 1710 (it is lowering by itself, raised it to get rid of bryopsis) Alk is 9.3. 0 Nitrates (which will probably change because my tang is eating all my chaeto. :(  )  So all the params are fine.

I realize the corals won't isntantly heal and recover, but after a week shouldn't they start to recover?

Any help/suggestions/questions i would be glad to hear because i want to get this fixed, it is disheartening. Thanks for your help!

Edited by Goonter - September 11 2009 at 9:38am
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 10:48am
Check your temp with multiple thermometers. Even go buy the cheap glass hang on thermometers from Wal Mart or Petco. If you are using one of those Coralife cheap digital thermometers throw it away. They always are wrong and go bad. One on my nano was 11 degrees off!!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 1:36pm
Delayed reaction is not unheard of.
I agree that verifying the true temperature is critical.
What coral are in the tank and what is the timeline of their bleaching?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Goonter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goonter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 6:09pm
I have 2 glass thermometers and both say different... one says 78-79 the other says 80-81.
I have SPS, LPS, relatively few softies. the softies are doing just fine, the LPS are all doing great except for my 2 lobos and 1 colony of my candycanes, my SPS i have some thriving and some bleaching/dying in particular, green slimer, cyphastrea, some sps i bought from jared (green with blue tips)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic