Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 gallon Sump Build (Large Photos)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 gallon Sump Build (Large Photos)
    Posted: September 18 2009 at 7:08pm

I picked up a used 180 gallon glass tank that I am going to be converting into a sump for my 620 gallon tank.  I decided to keep evaporation down I am going to bring the water in from the side of the tanks instead of the top, so I am going to drill a hole for a bulkhead on each end of the tank.  The water will flow directly into a 7" filter sock, come back up a baffle and flow into a second filter sock.  After the second filter sock it will flow under a baffle then over another baffle.  I set up safe guards in case either the first, second or both socks get clogged.  If the first sock gets clogged the water will overflow into the second sock.  If the second sock gets clogged it will overflow a baffle into the next chamber without overflowing the sump.  This will be set up the same from both sides of the sump.  In the center of the sump will be the bio media section of the sump. 

I will then push the water from the sump using a Dolphin 3500 pump through a Diatomaceous Earth Filter.  From the DE filter it will pass through a 72 watt UV Sterilizer before returning to the aquarium.

The Pump

Nautilus FNS 36 DE Filter

72 Watt UV Sterilizer

620 Gallon Tank, Almost Complete

Inside the Tank, Installing 2" drain, 1.5" return bulkheads and Overflow boxes on each end.

Kauai, Hawaii
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 8:02pm
Awesome!! When are you delivering it to my home?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 8:07pm
Great project! Thumbs Up
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 8:58pm
Very nice. I guess you don't expect any heat problems.

Mike

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 7:40am

Hay Richard.

Looks like its coming together. You don't do anything in a small way do you? Someday I hope to to have a display the size of your sump.LOL

Thanks again for the eps file for the template.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Awesome!! When are you delivering it to my home?

Dion, you know your wife wouldn't be very happy if I delivered this to your home.

Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Very nice. I guess you don't expect any heat problems.

Mike

I am converting my garage to a fish room, so I will be controlling the temperature of the aquariums with climate control hopefully. 

Originally posted by bfessler bfessler wrote:

Hay Richard.

Looks like its coming together. You don't do anything in a small way do you? Someday I hope to to have a display the size of your sump.LOL

Thanks again for the eps file for the template.
 I try not to do anything small if I can get away with it.  Your welcome on the template, I love helping out, that is what makes this hobby fun.
Kauai, Hawaii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic