Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolest Fish Ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolest Fish Ever
    Posted: September 05 2004 at 8:21pm

Okay feel free to post a pic of a fish cooler than this one.  Or maybe just your favorite fish.  Anyway, check out this rare color morph of a yellow tang. 
No, there is no way I can get you one, so don't ask...
Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 9:34pm
I never thought about color morphs. Was it swimming with its mates or alone, like an outcast?

What if Pliny meant that he found the smallest parts of the natural world even more fascinating than the whole? Was he a microbilogist or microzoologist...you know a tiny Zookeeper or featherweight Biology Teacher?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 9:47pm
Nearly an albino yellow tang... WOW!!! That's really cool!!!
www.captivereefing.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 10:46pm
I agree, it is really cool, but Albino? not likely! They die young. I learned last year that the "Albino" rainbow trout as some people call the ones I'll see tomorrow in Trial Lake, are not actual albino, but a simple repeatable color morph. I believe they are called Golden Rainbow, but I could be wrong

It's my understanding that a true Albino has no color pigment, the eyes are pink because of blood and the lack of pigment. Pigment is a protection against the lethal effects of radiation, especially UV.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 7:23am

Mark- my boss shot the photo, not me. 
As for Pliny here's my response- "That which takes place on the smallest levels is neither novel, unique, nor impressive.  However, the accumulation of such matters is marvelous."

This tang is actually a color morph.  There are a few of them, and they do reproduce.  It appears to be a non-lethal genetic condition. 

Adam

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 9:19pm

Well, since you opened it up to "Favorite fish" here is the new star of my FOWLR tank, my new favorite fish.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 8:46am

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Was it swimming with its mates or alone, like an outcast? 

Mark here is a pic of another xanthic that another friend of mine took recently.  He was swimming with the rest of the tangs.

Adam

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 9:04am

It's a Michael Jackson fish!

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 9:47am
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 11:03am
That is just too cool!
P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:09pm
I just bought one of these color morphs of yellow tang it looks alot like the one in the second picture. I am so excited....

WMAS resident fathead :)
2000 gallons of salt.
St George Ut
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:11pm

Man that is cool.  I've been pondering getting one for my wife.  I'm just not sure I can take how bad I would feel if it died.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Man that is cool.  I've been pondering getting one for my wife.  I'm just not sure I can take how bad I would feel if it died.

Adam

I thought about it for a couple days before I bought him, I have as good of system as anyone and I know I can give him a good home. He will be in QT until my new tank is finished cycling. I will post a pic in a couple days after he settles in.
2000 gallons of salt.
St George Ut
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:11pm
Care to share the price tag?
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:37pm
adam, don't you think you should work on getting the tank set up before you think about buying fancy fish for it?   

btw, all the moonlights you saw today are almost perfect, i think i might add 2 more on each end when i get back in october though, i'll have to decide after living with these for a while!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 1:28am

I like it much better than the all-yellow tang.

Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

It's a Michael Jackson fish!

Oh, um, I liked it a lot better before I read that.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 8:33am

adam, don't you think you should work on getting the tank set up before you think about buying fancy fish for it?  

Nope, I'm planning the tank around what she wants to keep.  That's how it should be.

all the moonlights you saw today are almost perfect

I think in your tank you should refer to them as twilights.  That much light can't be called moon light.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Care to share the price tag?

Ummm, it was the most expensive fish I have ever bought...does that help? More than my black tang.... It should look really good swimming around in my new 1500 gallon reef tank.

2000 gallons of salt.
St George Ut
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 1:20pm
I know some people sell dyed corals - maybe I should start bleaching yellow
tangs and sell them on ebay .
peregrinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peregrinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 4:57pm
In Clearfield

Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic