Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our First Loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our First Loss
    Posted: September 07 2004 at 11:57am

Dang it!  Well here is the scoop.  I talk to other club presidents once in a while as we share ideas about meetings and speakers.  Most clubs are envious of us.  In fact as we discuss it often feels like I'm bragging about my club when I talk about all we do. 
Well recently I thought it was pretty cool seeing Mark and Jake take Andy Rhyne fishing for the day.  I said "I'd like to see a club do better than that".  Well wouldn't you know it, someone took me up on it.  The Idaho Marine Aquarium Society just took Mike Paletta out rafting!  Dang it that is awesome!  And I'm sure I won't hear the end of it.
Jake and I talked about driving up to Boise for that meeting, and now I wish we would have.

Check out the pics on their homepage  http://www.idahoreefs.org/

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 12:16pm
I'm surprised that the other regional clubs (Boise, Denver, Las Vegas) don't have their own message board.  If this (WMAS) board was just part of reefcentral, I doubt I would check in all that often.  Thanks again Jake!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 12:34pm

Jon:  I agree.  I don't follow reefcentral because it doesn't give me that "Local" feeling.  You don't know where in the world they are.

Adam:  I gave away 20 river rafting trips this year (I couldn't use them).  Last year, I was able to use them.  We only had about 18 though.  River Rafting ROCKS!

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 2:55pm

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I'm surprised that the other regional clubs (Boise, Denver, Las Vegas) don't have their own message board.  If this (WMAS) board was just part of reefcentral, I doubt I would check in all that often.  Thanks again Jake!

Ditto

Going to miss the club when it comes time to leave 

Edited by vangvace
McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 3:50pm

Jon- there is growing dissent amongst club presidents regarding Reef Central.  I've personally had some trouble with them as well, but am hopeful things will work (at least for me personally).  It is surprising to see clubs using large websites for their forums...... most of which are complete dissapointments.

Shawn- I'll take those trips from you.  Thanks! 

Vangvance- there is no reason to ever leave.  Just look at Mark, don't you think he'll be here forever?

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 4:26pm
Well, I'm not anti-reefcentral.  reefcentral does have it's place, I just don't think it works well to foster a local club atmosphere.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 4:36pm

Point 1:  In their pics I didn't see one person fishing.  Sorry, though rafting is fun it would be much more fun if you were also fishing.  Therefore I must disagree that we have been beaten.  Taking someone fishing is a much better thing to do. IMHO!

Point 2: Most clubs don't have someone cool like Jake that take it on themselves to set up a really awesome site with a forum.  Therefore they either have to use a place like Reef Central or have nothing at all.  By the way on their links page they didn't have one to our site.  Of course they don't want all their members moving to Utah so they can join our club.

Point 3: As of February 2004 the Idaho Reef Club had 36 paid members.  Man they can't touch us.

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 4:51pm
Will really slammed that one home!  I say "WMAS Wins!!"
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 5:00pm

I agree with Renee, Will is stickin' it to them. 
I didn't say they were a better club..... they definately aren't. 
I'm just saying I think Rafting stuck it to us (me).  I'm surprised on their front page it doesn't say "Here we are rafting with Mike Paletta, in your face Adam". 
We've taken speakers to an overnight/all night gambling spree in Wendover, Uinta fishing trips, many a days at Seabase, brine shrimping at saltair, scuba diving, and some great times around town, but I still thinking rafting is the coolest.

Adam

by the way, some of their members will be here in 3 weeks to visit your houses during the Reef Tour!

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

The Idaho Marine Aquarium Society just took Mike Paletta out rafting! 

Adam

Um adam.... WHO? Am I saposed to be impressed or upset at this statement? Why would i know who this is and why do I care? You guys help me on a local level,I can put a face with a name, and I get frags CHEEP. Who cares after that?

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 5:29pm

Oh Skye, I'm so saddened to hear that.  Cheap frags and name with faces is the part of the club you should put up with, not come to the meetings for.  There is so much more the club, so many better things than cheap frags.

Mike Paletta is an author.  He writes aquarium books, mainly on large expensive suped up reef tanks.  He's one of the authors we've thought of having come here as a speaker, but just haven't done it.  Almost worth driving to Boise to see. 

Adam

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2004 at 7:28am
Keep an eye on the Boise club.  Next time they have a really cool guest speaker, let us know.  It would be fun for a group of us to go.  They wouldn't mind would they?
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2004 at 7:36am
You know Adam... the Idaho club could just disappear one day... for a price...
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2004 at 8:30am

Sean- I did post here on this site that they were having Mike Paletta come...
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3238& PN=2
If they do have any other big meetings (or if Vegas does as well) I'll try to keep you guys posted.

Carl- I'll PM you, it's safer that way.

Adam

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2004 at 4:39pm
I'm pretty sure the cops would never figure out a saltwater connection, unless their demise happened in a reef tank.  Even then... prob'ly not.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2004 at 10:07pm

Going to Boise for a meeting makes the drive for those in Logan look like hop, skip and jump.  Just think, dinner ends at 12:00 like it does here and you're home as the sun comes up.  JK, actually a road trip could be a ton of fun if there were a good enough reason to go up there.

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 7:58am

I think it would be fun, especially if we carpool.  It would be like several mini club meetings culminating with the Boise club meeting.

Hmmm, I wonder what kind of exotic frags they have to sell or trade?

p.s.  I would probably get a hotel (or tent?) for the night.

Edited by Summertop
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 9:07am

So here is an interesting story.  I asked a few people at dinner the other night "what kind of meeting would the Boise club have to have to make you drive the 5 hours to go?"  or "same question replace Boise for Vegas". 

Some people (Mark) will drive to Boise to find rock.  In other words, would go for no reason. 
Will would go if they had a super speaker, in particular Julian Sprung or Eric Borneman. 
There isn't anyone I would drive to Boise to see speak.  At least not that I can think of.  It isn't worth it to me.  However, if Jake and Mark and Jon and whoever else is obsessed enough gave me a call and said "hey Adam were going to Boise tomorrow to see a presentation on nothing"  I'd say "great lets go".  So I'd go for anything, but nothing is worth going for if that makes sense.

For Vegas, it appears that for a half off coupon to Mandalay Bay many people would go.  So I guess going to Boise just doesn't have the thrill of going to Vegas.

Adam

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 9:12am

Vegas, Boise,  Doesn't matter to me.   It is the trip with friends from the club that matters.  Not the destination or speaker. 

Of course in Vegas there is more to do and see.  Just don't lose all your hard earned money or you won't be able to support your reef addiction.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 10:00am

It would be worth going to a Boise meeting if they could arrange a tour of GARF's facilities.  That would way cool.  I understand GARF doesn't let anyone in anymore.

Wow! our president wouldn't want to go to Boise to see a cool speaker, but he would go to hang out with us.  We must be doing something right.

Edited by wsinbad1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic