Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Image file size restriction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Image file size restriction
    Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:51am
Is there any chance to have the file size limitation for images be raised to 150k or 200k? Many people use iphones and the images are usually <150k. But, since we have a limit of 100k on this site, the images must be downloaded, resized in some app, and then uploaded. This extra step could be avoided...and, it is a step many people have no clue how to do. I know we are trying to limit bandwidth and storage, but I don't think the quantity of photos we have should not overburden us with a 50k increase.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:36am
We did increase it a couple years ago to 100K then image hosting sites became popular. I use photobucket to host mine and can still resize the photos, on this site, to whatever size I need. You can also host them here: http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

Mike

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:41am
Ya, I know I can host them elsewhere, that is what I do.

But, instead of:
shoot, save, upload photo(s) to WMAS, select the photos you want from library

it is

shoot, save, upload to photobucket (or other), copy share URL, post to WMAS, rinse, repeat

I know how to do this, but many do not, and even though I know how, it is a bit of a pain (getting each of the photobucket URLs) especially with multiple photos since the built in tool for this forum is way more elegant and you basically have a handy archive when you post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:43am
Well, you posted this in the right section and it will be brought up at the next Presidency meeting.

Mike

Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:52am

What would be the approximate hosting cost to make this happen?  If its not too extraordinary I think you could solicit donations specifically to accomplish this goal.  I have my own photo hosting (links below), but it seems it would make it easier for most users to do what thefu is requesting. I would be willing to donate for this enhancement.

Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 12:43pm
I think the file size was recently increased to 150 or so????  Try posting a pic and check for us. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 1:18pm
Maximum file size 150KB I always have to resize my pictures and this is what it says
"Maximum file size must be 150KB"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 1:20pm
Porkfish 149K

Mike

Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 1:26pm
Your photographs are always so amazing...  I read aournd 50 pages of the 52 week project... stunning.
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 1:31pm
That HAD to have changed in the last week since I KNOW I tried uploading and it told me 100k, now it does say 150k...this is much more reasonable.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Sitaga Sitaga wrote:

Your photographs are always so amazing...  I read aournd 50 pages of the 52 week project... stunning.

Thanks Bill!

Mike

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 5:36pm

I recommend changing Terence's access to a 50k allowance. That will keep him busy uploading pictures for a whileWink

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 7:33pm
Maybe at a 50k file size I wouldn't be able to see the lettering on that stand. JK.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 7:34pm
LOL
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 12:08pm
Argh! I am still screwed, my new iphone saves at 150-220k!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

Argh! I am still screwed, my new iphone saves at 150-220k!!!

Ha! You should have checked that before you asked!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 6:44pm
Can you change the file compression or image size so the files are smaller?

Mike

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 7:18pm
Terrance,

There are multiple reasons the file size is small.  Server space is only a small part of this.  Other reasons included reduced page ranking, pics being too big and causing scrolling issues, etc.

The good news is when version 10 is release it will hopefully support ASPJpeg and the upload utility will automatically shrink your file for you.  Until then you will need to shrink the file yourself (this is easy) or use a third party gallery to host your pics.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 7:42pm
Ya, my old iphone was 2Mp, and the files were usually under 150k, the new one is 3Mp I think. Trust me, I know how to shrink images, thats not the issue...I have been using photoshop forever (v2?). It's just another PITA step. It is just so much easier to email a photo to myself, save it, and then upload it without resizing it or using a service.

I guess I will suffer until the next version...hopefully version 10 is faster too...this forum software is still kinda doggish.  Whats the ETA on the upgrade?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 7:44pm
Isn't the desire for instant gratification a b**ch.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic