Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info on Lighting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I would like to see this "science" behind the shimmer. It would be very interesting to see how they actually attributed anything to the shimmer.

When the surface is rippling I am sure it creates angles that magnifies the light beam. I do not think that happens 2000 times a second as stated earlier but I have no proof of that.

If you are going to quote me, then say you dont believe it, then quote me properly. I said 200x magnification at 10-20x per second. You said 2000 times per second. I told you I was unsure on specific numbers but I never said 2000x per second.

Some science:

"Ripples can act like moving lenses and magnify the light dramatically (up to 15x), creating ver natural-looking patterns of rippling lines of shadow and brightness throughout the tank."

"The flashes typically amplify the light energy by approximately 200% from 1-4 times per second for about 0.1 of that same second. Therefore, for up to half of each second, corals receive greatly amplified light energy."

-Eric H. Borneman, Aquarium Corals, 2001

So this is some pretty good news for you MH owners. I use Lumenmax XL reflectors, and they produce up to 10x the light of just the bulb, from around 100 ppfd to upper 800s and 900s ppfd. So take this magnified value, and then multiply it by 200% and you have some serious light that those corals are getting for up to half of every second, all day, every day. Totalling out (multiplying 800 ppfd by 15x) you can get 12,000 ppfd!!! 15x is probably in a perfect world, most of us aren't there, but even at the "typical amplification of 200%" it is nothing to shake a stick at.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

So this is some pretty good news for you MH owners. I use Lumenmax XL reflectors, and they produce up to 10x the light of just the bulb, from around 100 ppfd to upper 800s and 900s ppfd. So take this magnified value, and then multiply it by 200% and you have some serious light that those corals are getting for up to half of every second, all day, every day. Totalling out (multiplying 800 ppfd by 15x) you can get 12,000 ppfd!!! 15x is probably in a perfect world, most of us aren't there, but even at the "typical amplification of 200%" it is nothing to shake a stick at.

Not to get in on this discussion, however, is there any proof that we need to have that kind of lighting power (12,000 ppfd)  to grow corals correctly?  My t5 tank says other wise.  T5 vs. MH it all comes down to personal choice...both have been proven to work.  

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I don't know where everyone got the impression that T5 can't create shimmer. My PC's on my nano even cast a small shimmer. Granted the MH shimmer is much more pronounced in most cases. So the shimmer argument loses all credibility to me.

Ask Keith (chk4tix) if he gets the shimmer with his T5 set up. I bet I know what he will say.

The shimmer is caused by refraction of "point-source lighting". The reason T5 can't shimmer is that it distributes light from million different points (well it can shimmer but not as much). If you take a flashlight and shine it through the surface of your tank at night, you will get shimmer. That is because it is a point-source type of light.

Have you ever owned MH? You talk a lot of "crud" on MH and I wonder if you have seen both sides of the fence...

I don't talk "crud" on MH. If you read my posts, I clearly state that MH works and that it has its place. I feel that the majority of tanks I see, do not NEED MH. It is all personal preference. That has been established. The T5 vs MH debate is one that never ends.

Will MH grow corals? Yes. Will T5 gorw corals? Yes. Do they compare watt for watt? No. T5's are much more efficient when you talk about lumens and the amount of light that reaches the tank. This is because you can put T5's right on the tank or just a few inches above. The majority of MH I see are at least 10" off the tank. Yes, a good reflector (on either setup) is what really dictates on much light finds the tank.

If I can get an ATI Sunpower that uses 144W of power to put out more PAR than a 250W MH, why would I choose the MH? The shimmer? I can add a few LED's and get that effect. I have a Nano Cube that is small water volume and I can't have the temp spiking all over the place that I was getting with MH. SO yes I have owned MH for all of a week before I knew that would never work for ME. Didn't fit my tanks needs. Does that make MH, bad? NO and I never said that.

I also deal with MH down at Reef Runners. I have never been impressed with the MH system. It could be the system but it just never has done it for me. While I was down there one day, I turned off all the MH over our big tank. All of the corals actually looked better to my eye and they all remained wide open and happy as can be. That showed me that the coral didn't care if the MH was on or off. It also showed me that the T5 was coloring the coral up, not the other way around. Now that was in no way a scientific test. Just a quick observation for me to see.

Have you ever heard a T5 owner say they want to supplement their tank with MH? How often do you hear MH owners say they need to supplement with either T5 or VHO? I personally like how much you can customize a T5 look. If it isn't blue enough, add a bluer bulb. Need more red, add a bulb for that.

T5 makes more sense to ME. I just let people know there is another way to light a tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

Not to get in on this discussion, however, is there any proof that we need to have that kind of lighting power (12,000 ppfd)  to grow corals correctly?  My t5 tank says other wise.  T5 vs. MH it all comes down to personal choice...both have been proven to work.  

I dont know if they need it or not. I dont think it hurts anything though, and it probably helps, but the question is...does it help enough to make a difference...maybe.

I was just trying to pass on some cool info that I read. I didn't do the research or state the facts, so I cant support the claim with proof. You are right, and Ryan is right, it all comes down to personal preference. Both are proven to work. Reflectors are make or break on many lighting setups. There are so many other factors in a reef tank, that success or failure can not be determined by the type of light you have. Both T5 and MH are setups that have proven themselves.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

I dont know if they need it or not. I dont think it hurts anything though, and it probably helps, but the question is...does it help enough to make a difference...maybe.

I was just trying to pass on some cool info that I read. I didn't do the research or state the facts, so I cant support the claim with proof. You are right, and Ryan is right, it all comes down to personal preference. Both are proven to work. Reflectors are make or break on many lighting setups. There are so many other factors in a reef tank, that success or failure can not be determined by the type of light you have. Both T5 and MH are setups that have proven themselves.

Downhill,

I liked reading the science you showed. I personally have never seen or read that. I appreciate the knowledge! I am all about learning and informing in this hobby.

I support T5 because I have seen it work and loved it over my old tank. Others love MH because they have used it on their tank and seen it work. I am glad everyone can agree that both work for what we want. I think colors come more from water quality and flow. The lights we use just show off that color. So use whichever one shows the colors best to your eye.

PS - Also use a GOOD setup. A cheap setup will never, ever compare to a properly setup system.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 9:13am
Wow, I had not viewed this thread until now. Somewhere along the way Ashley's question was forgotten and I wonder if she is even following this thread anymore.Confused

Just in case she is reading this, I would ask what kind of coral she is hoping to grow.Question
As you can see from my signature line I used to be a coral farmer. I had a 75 gal tank connected to a frag tank that was about 2'x3'x1'. I was bringing in $400/month, mostly from the coral growing in that frag tank. It had a 400W 20K MH and got a little sunshine too. If I could have had the entire tank in the sun, I would have done it. So to answer Ashley's question honestly, the best light for growing coral is sunlight. Thumbs Up The bulb on my frag tank was quite old so I had it about a foot above the water and grew soft coral around the edges of the tank. Just before changing my plans and moving to St. George to marry a wonderful girl, I was putting together another system which would have more than doubled my operation. Se la vie.
I can post pics if you are interested.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Wow, I had not viewed this thread until now. Somewhere along the way Ashley's question was forgotten and I wonder if she is even following this thread anymore.Confused

Just in case she is reading this, I would ask what kind of coral she is hoping to grow.Question
As you can see from my signature line I used to be a coral farmer. I had a 75 gal tank connected to a frag tank that was about 2'x3'x1'. I was bringing in $400/month, mostly from the coral growing in that frag tank. It had a 400W 20K MH and got a little sunshine too. If I could have had the entire tank in the sun, I would have done it. So to answer Ashley's question honestly, the best light for growing coral is sunlight. Thumbs Up The bulb on my frag tank was quite old so I had it about a foot above the water and grew soft coral around the edges of the tank. Just before changing my plans and moving to St. George to marry a wonderful girl, I was putting together another system which would have more than doubled my operation. Se la vie.
I can post pics if you are interested.

If she isnt interested in pics, I am.  Didnt you have any problems with a 400w bulb on that shallow of a tank?  I currently run 2 x 150w mh on my frag tank and have been thinking of upgrading to 250w's but was concerned about the water depth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 10:13am
Originally posted by jcoulter17 jcoulter17 wrote:

ha her budget, my back pocket I have the money so I dont have a problem with that. the 55 gallon is a frag tank more for sps frags. The tank is 48"x18"x12"

You are right Mark, we got way off topic somewhere along the line.

Sorry for getting off topic. But as you can see here, the focus is SPS, and the budget is less of an issue, and quality is more of the focus.
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 10:37am
Mark   
LOL yes i have been folowing the discussion. Thanks you tho for ansering my question. I am hoping to grow all kinds of coral. zoas would be a big catagory tho, or at least my favorite lol but as i said all kinds. I am not putting sand in it so i dont know if that is going to cause a big difference. I totally agree with you the sun is the best light unfortunately I wont be able to get much sun so I was thinking of using T5's with 6 bulbs. yes i would love to see Pics 

Ashley

Edited by Ashley - October 26 2009 at 10:37am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:00am

A 55 with at least 4 T5's of the right color combo will grow all coral, even SPS.

LS makes a huge difference. Will the frag tank be connected to a larger system with LS?
Will you want to provide natural live food for the coral?
And how about flow? How will you position things so the SPS get high light and high flow while the Zoas get less flow and light?

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 27 2009 at 7:37am
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:05am
The frag tank will be connected to my bigger tank. the food well i havent really thought of what to feed them yet I wouldnt really know. The flow i will have at leat one powerhead in there, but i was thinkin two would probably be better.

Edited by Ashley - October 26 2009 at 11:06am
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 12:07pm
Here is what my frag tank looks like.  these are older pics before it was really stock.  I have mine connected to my main display as well. (I hope you dont mind me adding these pics...I live just over in Kaysville if you want to come check it out some time)

This is when I was hooking up all the plumbing.  In this picture, you can see I have a return in every corner which can be adjusted by valve to control flow.  (I have added 2 modified maxijet 1200's on a controller for added flow)

This is after the plumbing was connected and tank was filled.  This shows how I did my racks

This is the last photo I have already uploaded and can access from work, but this gives an example of what the lighting looks like.  This is a 150w mh, I have 2 of them over the tank (only had one mounted when I took this photo).

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 7:58am
The value of LS is all the food it produces for the coral. If the frag tank sand is seeded with LS and pieces of LR from many different sources it can harbor an abundant array of bugs and worms that will feed the coral all night. Some people I know use Ozone or UV to help the polyps extend more during the day, well my frag tank had plenty of polyp extension at night when live food was streaming past. There were all kinds of spawings in this tank and the attached 75 which kept the coral happy, healthy and growing rapidly.Thumbs Up

I also found that algae was much easier to control when hermits and snails could easily climb onto the frags sitting on the sand. They cannot do that when the frags are up on an eggcrate shelf. Two other things that I found were benefits of placing frags on the sand was that I could use every square inch of the tank bottom and that I didn't have to go fishing for frags that had fallen underneath a rack full of coral.

If you are serious about growing coral for cash then you will find it much easier to lose the 55 and do a shallow tank. The pic posted earlier doesn't really show the entire tank. I need to resize some of the pics I have....later.

Oh and I used the drain water and a Poormans Wavemaker to create alternating flow in that tank. One powerhead was all it took. I was intent on making money, not spending it.Big smile 

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 27 2009 at 8:10am
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 8:36am
That is a sweet frag tank keith! Post some pics of your display if you dont mind. Thats a nicer system for frags than I will probably ever have for a display.
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 4:38pm
wow thats a nice frag tank... The pluming must of sucked doing personally I dont like that part myself takes lots of time....How big is your frag tank? You know what they so tho the more you put in to it the more you get out of it!
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Ashley Ashley wrote:

wow thats a nice frag tank... The pluming must of sucked doing personally I dont like that part myself takes lots of time....How big is your frag tank? You know what they so tho the more you put in to it the more you get out of it!

Thanks, the frag tank is 24"wx60"lx12"h.  and approx 75g. 
Here is a pic I just took with my cell...It's not the best but you can see how its changed

Edited by chk4tix - October 28 2009 at 5:52pm

Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 4:52pm
awesome that is huge. ppl dont really get the care that you have to put in a tank to just keep it running. Me being 16 and able to take care of a tank is something i am very proud ofBig smile 
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 5:06pm
Hi Ashley,

You should be proud. I got into the hobby in April and the learning curve is very steep.

Anyway back to your original question, I have a 55 G Frag tank and just installed a 4 tube T5HO fixture over it. I found that for my LPS and softies this fixture had too much light while my SPS did great. I use an AquaticLife fixture with 3 built in timers 1 timer for each 2 tubes and one for the Moon Lights. What I have done is create a dawn to dusk effect by having 2 tubs come on in the morning then around 11:00 all 4 tubs come on until 2:00 PM when the first set goes off  and finally the last set goes off at 8:00 pm. This has given my SPS plenty of intense light while not bleaching out the LPS and softies.

The control you get with T5's is great and I would recommend them especially for a tank your size.

Edited by bfessler - October 28 2009 at 5:07pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Ashley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 5:23pm
wow thats cool we tried to create something like that for our regular tank but the changes aren't smooth as i wanted lol plus we turn on and off the day time light on at the same time... Josh is more of the handy man who runs the pluming and lighting i just do my best to maintain the tank but i know for sure that we are getting T5's for the frag tank.     
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 5:53pm
The built in timers make it super simple to get this effect. If the timers aren't built into the fixture you want one power cord per 2 tubes of the fixture. Then connecting them to a controller like the Digital Aquatic Elite or RKL will allow you to easily set the time each set of tubes come on and off. You could do the same thing with regular timers you get at Home Depot but it's a little more difficult synchronizing them all.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic