Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blasterjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blasterjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium
    Posted: October 29 2009 at 2:36pm
Ok I have been doing alot of research on how to build one. First I am only planing on my sump being a fuge I am planning on using a mechanical HOB filter. My stand that I have will only alow me to have fit a ten gallon tank or maybe a 15 we will see. Does any on have a good design or an old fuge that I can buy. Or should I just scrap it because bigger is better and all I can have is a dinky little one.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2009 at 5:07pm
what size of tank do you have?

dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2009 at 5:59pm
I've got one of these lying around that my wife wants me to get out of the house LOL
(I keep telling her no)
It's a model one and it has no bio balls (threw them out) but in good shape. I've been hanging on to it but might be willing to sell it if it works for you.

90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
blasterjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blasterjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2009 at 6:14pm
Its a 55 gallon. ddnuts that looks like it might do what size is it? Should I put the macroalgae in the large area?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 10:09am
If a 10 gallon tank is what fits, use it. Any size refugium will help.
A HOB filter can even be made into a small Refugium.
I have had tanks with and without, and though I prefer the use of a Refugium, I have found that if a simple tank is allowed to grow lots of macroalgae and then a herbivorous fish is introduced to begin eating/controlling the macroalgae the tank can do very well from then on. Below are 2 pics of that kind of refugium-less tank. The last pic is of my favorite tank, home to Mr. Ray and Mr. Bat, with it's simple baffle-less refugium and unique "floating" reef. Many of my refugiums have been plastic tubs. I have found that the KISS principle is best. Less complexity means less problems.

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 30 2009 at 10:18am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by blasterjr blasterjr wrote:

Its a 55 gallon. ddnuts that looks like it might do what size is it? Should I put the macroalgae in the large area?
Model 1 20" x 10" x 17-1/4" Up to 55 gallons
I had it under a 46g and put macro in the large area, yes.
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 2:33pm
Yes, you can have s successful reef tank w/o a fuge, but I wouldnt. One of the things i enjoy most about my setup is looking into the fuge with a magnifying glass and seeing all the life going on in there. How fast 50 amphipods became about 500, not to mention all the life that cant be seen.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 2:37pm
I know several tanks that dont have fuges and are the prettiest tanks I have ever seen. . . . 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2009 at 9:10am
A refugium can be as simple as a protected area of a tank with some macroalgae. Sunlight shining into the tank can grow macroalgae as fast as fish can eat it, making a home for bugs of all sorts to grow and reproduce. A pile of rocks or a clear hang-on box with lots of large holes can keep herbivorous fish away from the algae. A HOB filter with a separate small light can be a simple RDP Refugium. 

It's not a mistake not to have a refugium but there is a long list of the organisms that can grow in a protected space and what benefit they can have for a reef aquarium. Here is a brief explanation:
#1 - brightly lighted Macroalgae provides gas exchange and keeps nusiance algae from growing in the display
- nusiance algae in the Refugium can sometimes keep it from growing in the display
- microscopic bugs of all sorts grow and reproduce which feeds the coral and small fish; copepods, amphipods and mysid shrimp are the most common
- worms of all sorts including bristleworms, again spawning feeds coral
- RDP (Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis) Refugia, brightly lighted at night and off during the day which evens out the pH swing which naturally occurs in an aquarium. This does not mean that an algae dense aquarium like that pictured above must have a large swing in pH. When the water circulation is set up right and the surface water is open to the atmosphere, sufficient gas exchange occurs to offset the effect.

LampThis inevitably leads us to the idea that if water moves fast enough, in the right direction for gas exchange at night, with daytime light growing algae fast and properly controlled by snails, hermits and herbivorous fish, we should be able to create a beautiful and healthy refugium-less reef aquarium.Thumbs Up

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 31 2009 at 9:14am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic