Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much flow is TO MUCH?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much flow is TO MUCH?
    Posted: September 09 2004 at 9:36pm
I have an external pump that I got for free that has no GPH rating on it. I plug it in and it shoots a garden hose sized stream probably 2-3 feet. I was thinking of hooking it to my 120 with 2 outputs, But I am afraid it would blast everything out of the tank. I put an older powerhead in my SW 80 and it blasted stuff off the rock just about. I pulled it and went back to my 802 and it was all better.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 9:46pm
I had a similar problem with my external. I put a ball valve on the return line to regulate the flow. Got some free plumbing stuff if you want...Still owe you.

Edited by Jake
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 10:06pm
I've never seen a tank with too much circulation.
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 10:37pm
You can always split the number of returns with y's and or t's from a plumbing supply.
www.captivereefing.com
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 7:02am

You know that you have too much flow when the overflow can't handle it and it starts overflowing!

I was over at Kam's house (awesome setup!) last night and he just recently had a problem with too much flow.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 7:04am

You can't have too much water flow.

Adam
(it's like lighting if that helps)

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 4:17pm
I didn't think of a ball valve on the return.... can you mount an external pump with plumbing on the outside of a glass sump? just run a big I-I over the top?
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 4:35pm
Most people drill the glass tanks for the external sumps, but I have done the "U" tube up over the top.  I only used this system as a temp., but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work permanently.
Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 5:41pm

That's what I'm doing. It works great for me.

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 9:39am
even if the power went out, you would still have access to the water that was left in the tube to start off the pump again. Would the air go through? I think it would work, Maybee I'll try it.....

Magna
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

You can't have too much water flow.

Adam
(it's like lighting if that helps)

You can if it blows your corals right off the rock.  Also, I had a lot of tissue blown off a green slimmer when I put it in a really high flow part of my tank. I didn't notice until the MHs went out and the side facing the current didn't fluoresce like usual under the actinics.  It did much better when I moved it to an area of less flow.

Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 9:54pm

You can if it blows your corals right off the rock.  Also, I had a lot of tissue blown off a green slimmer when I put it in a really high flow part of my tank. I didn't notice until the MHs went out and the side facing the current didn't fluoresce like usual under the actinics.  It did much better when I moved it to an area of less flow.

IMO, caused by too much "direct" flow... There are different types of adaptions/diffussers that still allow an intense flow without the flow being so intensified in a stream.

www.captivereefing.com
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 9:09am

Repto- Right On!  Exactly what I'm thinking.
You can't have too much flow.... maybe just not enough rocks in some situations.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 9:51am

my buddie suggested pointing it at different sides of the glass to amke a swirl affect in the tank.

Well here is what I did.... I needed about 12" of 1/2 inch PVC bought 10 feet...

over the top.

to the pump

ball valves in and out... that way I can emergency shut off all lower tank flow... Needed the out cuz it was overflowing the overflow.... How can I increase flow rating easy? Maybe thats a different thread...

now the flow on a single side is about 18 inches. I deceded not to run both outs cuz it slowed the flow too much. Plus I had a powerhead that froze up and was zapping me a little yesterday. I don't know how long it has been out cuz I haven't stuck my hand in the water for a while......  the fish seem ok though....

flow "stops" at my finger.

Magna
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 10:13am
Your pump looks like a fairly new Little Giant. BTW, every angle will decrease flow along with narrower plumbing... Remember to oil the pump every six months, or so.
www.captivereefing.com
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 5:33pm
how do you oil it? I saw at MSM they had a simmilar pump at 800GPH

Magna
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 7:06pm
In the housing is a fan like those you see on an alternater... be sure to open the case about every six months, blow it out, get as much as the dust n grunge out and oil the barrings.
www.captivereefing.com
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 7:18pm

I've heard that the new LG pumps have sealed bearings requiring no lube.

Skye, is it noisy... like a garbage disposal ?

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 4:19pm
no... runs kinda hot though....

Magna
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 9:12pm
Most of the new pumps are sealed and do not require any bearing maitenance. I'm adding a BlueLine as a return pump and am planning on having my 55 gal glass sump drilled.
Skye - How will the pump prime itself following a power outage? Are you relying on whatever water remains in the tube from the sump?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic