Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme Make Over - PICO Edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Make Over - PICO Edition
    Posted: November 08 2009 at 9:06am

I've been in a rut lately now that my tank mods are done looking for my next project. I have been hoping to put together a larger tank but my reefing budget is nearly exhausted and with Christmas coming my wife has her eye on all the discretionary money right now. I had a great time at Reef Fest yesterday and happened to win the Pico Tank in the raffle.

I have been looking at these and thinking I would like one for my office in CA so I was excited to win it. After getting it home and setting it back up I really like the little tank but It is so small that the Hang On filter, Internal Heater and Power Head take up to much real estate in the tank. I also don't like the cluttered look of everything hanging on and in the tank so I started thinking about how to make it better. The small size present some challenges but I think I have come up with some low cost options that will transform this from an ordinary PICO to an extraordinary display.

Here are my current plans.
1. Drill Drill Drill. In the BRS Group Buy last month i picked up some 1/2" bulkhead fittings and a diamond hole saw. So my plan is to drill this tank and install a coast to coast overflow and an external filter box that will sit behind the tank. This will allow me to get rid of the hang on filter and improve the filtration and flow.

2. ATO. Because I travel so frequently this is a must if the Pico is going to be a success. I haven't worked out just how I am going to do this yet because I want it to look clean and operate without any power. I am planning on using a mechanical float valve from BRS and a gravity feed reservoir as part of the filter box. This will be my biggest challenge.

3. Filtration. I plan to have chambers in he filter for mechanical and chemical filtration in the form of a filter sponge and carbon. Circulation will be provided by 2 small power heads. I have a spare JBJ wave maker I am planning on using to alter the direction of flow and plan to use the laminar circular flow that Jake talked about at Reef Fest yesterday.

4. Lighting. I am thinking about going with LED lighting for this tank. Something like the Taam Rio Mini Sun fixture or the Azoo Neo Light LED. I am hoping on a tank this small they will supply sufficient light to grow corals without adding heat and give a sleek look to the tank.

Let me know what you think of these ideas and any others you think might be appropriate.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 9:33am
Burt check out this new slick led light.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/11/05/kotobuki-eco-led-light-stick-in-japan-for-%c2%a52980/
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 9:37am
Anyone going to Japan in the near future?
Burt

[email protected]
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 5:51pm
LOL
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 8:25pm
I think this can be ordered online Thumbs Up
[email protected]

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 9:51pm
Oooo if you find out where to order it online let me know!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 9:59pm
That is a slick fixture very similar to the Azoo Neo Light but it has a much nicer finish than the Azoo. The only problem with the light that I can see is it is only 3 watts which may not be enough even for a Pico. The Azoo has 7 watts but I would like to get up to about 15 to 20. The Taam Rio Mini sun has 10 led's but they don't list the wattage. It's hard to know just what your getting with LED's right now.
Burt

[email protected]
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 8:54am
I agree,
[email protected]

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 9:12pm
These lights look interesting. You can light a small tank or spotlight areas in larger tanks. Best of all they simply screw into a standard light socket/fixture.

Burt

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic