Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Add a new forum section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yodaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yodaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add a new forum section
    Posted: November 23 2009 at 11:44am
I think we should have a discussion forum dedicated to reef aquarium issues.  Discussions could be about algae problems, sicknesses, diseases, RTN, bacteria, fungus, water quality problems, etc.
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 12:00pm
People just usually post that kind of stuff in the different sections, Fish, Coral, Filtration...ect.

I agree though, most sites have many sections and it is much more organized. I dont think it costs more to have more sections, could be good for long term.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 6:23pm
I think one problem is that forums start to look too cluttered. Maybe combine a few sections that aren't used as often but are similar. (Inverts with fish or General posts with Off Topic) That way you don't have as much clutter and can add a new section for ^^

Or you could split off sections into it's own little bar like you did with MWRF. Just a thought. I used to manage a few different forums for a different group and that's one thing we were always looking to improve.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 7:51pm
I know that I like the setup of RC, R2R, and PNWMAS. They seem more professional. But this one works and that is what matters.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 10:05pm
Personally I like the current forum lineup. The forums are logically divided and there aren't so many different forums that you get lost navigating them. Additionally there aren't so many posts happening in any of the forums that posts get lost in the mix. I'm not sure we need additional forums just for the sake of having more forums.

The layout is perhaps a little plain and simple but I like that most of the page is dedicated to actual posts and not tons of advertising.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 10:30pm
I think some stickies in the tops of some of our sections with links to helpfull posts would go along ways on dendroboard.com(a forum for dart frogs) they do it all the time and really helps stop the newbie question from happening over and over again they can find what they need alot easier
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 8:40am

Stickies might help without impacting the general feel of the forums. A couple I can think of right off the top of my head are Mark Peterson's post on setting up a tank using LBTR and Utah Sand as well as some of the better posts on Pest Control. In the You Can Do It perhaps some tips on working with acrylic and some good DIY Projects.

Now that I think about it more it would be nice to have a forum or sub forums under You Can Do It where write ups on projects with complete instructions and notes could be posted. Nano-Reef.com has something similar where the author does a write up which is complete with parts used and where to get them. This allows the instructions and details to be quickly found and printed if desired while comments are placed after the write up. The post can also be updated by editing the write up section which makes it easier to follow then having to read pages of posts to find out any updates. The write ups are also divided into general categories like Lighting, Filtration, Aquascaping and so on.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic