Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solution to Repetitive Topics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solution to Repetitive Topics
    Posted: November 24 2009 at 9:11am
There have been a few requests for new forum topics lately which has got me thinking about what is driving these requests. Overall I like the setup of Utah Reefs and while visiting other sites that have numerous forums it appears that when there is a forum for every conceivable topic there are very few posts being placed in the appropriate forum. In fact I have seen many posts in the general reefkeeping forums that begin by something like "This probably should have been posted in the ______ Forum but that forum isn't visited as frequently as..." So there is something to be said for limiting the number of forums.

That said some very good posts can get lost deep in the back pages of limited forums.

Another issue is frequent questions about the same topics. Pest Control, What lights to use, Water Parameters and so on. I have been thinking about how to preserve the look and feel of this forum while providing a place for quick reference on frequent topics and How To topics.

My thinking is that a sub forum under You Can Do It called DIY for write ups on various projects members have done and a FAQ sub forum under general posts would make for quick reference to these types of posts.

If these sub forums were set up so that the author of the post did a complete write up on the topic with specific details and notes  with comments coming after the write up members could quickly read the meat and bones of the topic as well as post comments after the write up. The write up would be dynamic as the author could make revisions or additions to the write up which would be quickly available to members without having to search through pages of posts and comments.

Nano-Reefs.com has a similar DIY section which is broken down into topics like Lighting, Filtration, Aquascaping and so on. A quick click on the topic heading reveals write ups on various projects complete with supply lists, suppliers and instructions. With this type of sub forum the Forum Home page isn't cluttered and access to DIY project and FAQ's are easily found.

I'd be interested to know what others think of this Idea. I believe it would be easy to setup and a benefit to both new members and old timers as well.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:11am
I think its a great idea! good luck getting it going Thumbs Up

I'm also sick of seeing the same topics.. 
OH NO MY FISH HAS ICH!
What tang can I put in my 20g tank!
Whats the best lighting I can get for my nano!

We do have a search button where people can get the answers they need fairly quickly and often find that their same question has literally been asked... 1,000 times before
 and so on :)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 12:49am
Even the search option is a pain since you get 50,000 posts with the word tang in it.. or nano. So Burt's idea is much better!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 1:40am
I agree there. Often times you'll search for something and have to sort through pages of information that really didn't pertain to your search. However this is one of the best run forums I have come across.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 6:27pm
I completely understand the concern, but as one who has answered those questions more than any other, perhaps I can add something positive to the discussion.
There was a period of time a few years ago when I lost patience and sometimes got angry with these repetitive topics.
Then I started to see it in a different light. To see it from their perspective. As my coral farming operation grew, these new hobbyists come to my place and would ask questions as they looked at my simple system growing even the difficult coral.  These new hobbyists sometimes didn't have any idea what to look for or what to ask. Smile When they read the threads they often were not able, because of their lack of experience, to realize how directly that reading fit their problem. This helped me have more compassion for their need to ask the question and have it answered directly and immediately.
Something that has entered my mind lately has added to an increase of patience. I have been blessed with a lot of experience not only with my own numerous reef tanks, but all the hundreds that I have visited over the years. I have had the opportunity to personally visit with and ask specific questions of most of the "experts" of this hobby. I have been blessed with a good understanding of the biology and the workings of a reef aquarium. I have recently realized that I have a responsibility, No, an opportunity to share that blessing with so many people here. I am enjoying that opportunity now more than ever before.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 6:48pm
Mark,
I agree completely with that. There are some however who are either afraid to ask the questions or would rather be able to look up the answers so they can formulate better questions. I don't suggest that having a write up section should replace answering questions when posed but it would make directing them to an answer easier and give a basis for expanding on the topic. Additionally people like yourself who put much thought into your answers could create a topic which could be updated easily without having to wade through pages of posts to glean the full explanation of the topic. People could still post questions but they would be answered after the main write up and if a revision or clarification is necessary you can revise the write up portion making the information instantly available to anyone reading the write up.

I am one of the relatively newbies still discovering the secrets to this hobby and I would never suggest that we should slight or take away the opportunity for those entering the hobby to ask questions and feel welcome.
Burt

[email protected]
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 7:55pm

We really don't have so many posts that you can't keep up on the posts even if you only make it to the board once a week.

Would putting so much organization into the posts prevent someon from looking in the right place for their information?

Even though I have an analytical personality, I like the KISS system. "Keep It Simple, Stupid". :) Or how about, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"  

However, if making the changes made it a lot easier to find info (without the cooresponding background manpower to keep it up) ... well, then maybe it was broke! LOL
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 9:01pm
Burt, is this the kind of thing you had in mind?  I just made this a sticky topic in the WMAS Club Information Forum.  (It used to be called the FAQ forum.)

This is almost a year old now.  If anyone would like to update it or add to it that would be great.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 10:38pm
Very similar. Check out this DIY forum on Nano-Reef.com. It takes the organization one step further in that in addition to organizing specific posts into the section there is a write up that the author does and then a comments section later. It's much easier to look at this finished product then try to describe it. When you follow the link click on one of the projects and you'll see what I mean.

Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 10:54pm
Will

In the thread you made a sticky it collected a bunch of threads on various topics but they are just like every other thread on the board. What I like about the Nano-Reef format is that the write up is complete at the top of the thread and comments follow. This way you don't have to read all the comments to get the info but if you want further info or to see what others think of the write up you can read the comments section.

Also if the author wants to make additions or corrections they can do so in the write up rather than in subsequent postings. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make a forum similar to this where the Write Up is separate from the comments but I really like the layout and being able to get all the info the author wants to share right at the top of the thread.

I suppose we could do the same thing in our existing format if the author was disciplined enough to make a complete write up in the first post but setting up the write up in a slightly different layout clearly defines the write up from the comments.

Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 11:18pm
I was looking closer at the sticky referred to above and like the concept but have a few ideas to improve it.

1. New Topics and Links to new new write up threads need to be added to the first page of the fourm. If new write ups simply get added further down the page the organization gets lost in the shear size of the forum. I guess that would require a Topic Setup page where an author could specify what topic to include their write up under or allow them to create a new topic heading if none of the existing headings apply, also a text box to creat the write up in. After completing the write up a link to it would be created under the selected topic.

2. The author should be able to edit the write up without affecting the posts that follow.

3. Readers should be able to post comments beginning a thread related to the write up. The current forum posting format would be great for this.

I hope I am making sense.
Burt

[email protected]
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 11:16am
Burt,
Spot on!  I exclusively went to sites like nano-reefs.com and a few other sites for diy ideas.  These sites had schematics on how to build, not simply have pictures or descriptions through text.  I believe that J. Finch and  ? demonstration on how to build a skimmer was made an even bigger succes by posting pictures with diagrams.

Also, when I was just beginning I was hesitant about posting a dumb question.  We all know how these boards can getWink.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 11:49am
If you haven't seen it I put together a sample thread under General Posts called quick reference. If it gets a lot of support it may get to be a Sticky or even get some enhanced features. Check it out and if you can think of something to contribute do a write up in any appropriate forum and send me the link. I am trying to keep it updated and relevant for now.
Burt

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic