Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Get The Flyers Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Get The Flyers Out
    Posted: September 16 2004 at 12:25pm

Just another reminder/request.  This is the last weekend before the Reef Tour.  We could really use all of you to help get the flyers out.  When you go to your favorite fish stores this weekend, please take a couple flyers with you.  Also, now is the time to email them to friends and hang them up at work. 

We really need the help of everyone to make this work.

thanks again,

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 9:28am
I have put out a few here in Logan, but was suprised that the local PetSmart (only store in Logan) refused.

It's their store so I have no complaint about that.

It did strike me as odd though, that something that could increase aquarium interest and subsequently business for the corporation was not promoted. Especially since it is for a 'non-profit' organization. I e-mailed a brief letter to the corporation and they replied with something to the effect that only lost/found notices were allowed, and nothing else promotional. As I said, it struck me odd that they would have such a policy in effect that would result in decreased sales and profits for their shareholders. (Of which, I must admit, I am not one.)

Too bad we don't have a "Fish Shelter" to save all those fish that get flushed down the toilets, since PetSmart has a long and generous record of allowing Humane Shelters use their facilities to place cats and dogs. Again it leads to increased sales for the corporation in dog/cat related items, as well as doing a good work in placing homeless animals. Maybe if we could superglue some fur on homeless fish and hermit crabs to make them cute and fluffy......
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 10:02am

Originally posted by Chem Guy Chem Guy wrote:

It did strike me as odd though, that something that could increase aquarium interest and subsequently business for the corporation was not promoted. Especially since it is for a 'non-profit' organization.

You know what that statement pretty much sums up my experience with most local fish stores.  I like that so much I think I will not only quote it, but post it here again in bold...

It did strike me as odd though, that something that could increase aquarium interest and subsequently business for the corporation was not promoted. Especially since it is for a 'non-profit' organization.

sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 11:53am

Hey adam,  I have an idea for you. 

You are the fearless leader,or at least one of them,  so why dont you rally the troops, and go to where these stors will not let you put up flyers, and hand them out during peak hours,   this way you will be sure not only that they are seen, but actually taken. 

Edited by sushi
They all talk fast, but they all think slow.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 12:09pm

Sushi- tell you what.  I'll do what you guys say.  If other people here think it is a good idea for me to stand in the parking lot of stores handing out flyers this week, well I'll do it.  I have the time.
Somehow I think people in the club will see that as a bad move, causing more contention between those stores and us.

Adam

Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 12:29pm
As I said in my post, the stores are privately owned and can make their own rules. Whether we agree with them or not. They don't want you picketing in front the store (their private property) just like you don't want someone in your face on your front lawn (your private property).

My comments were to show how somethings a business does can adversely affect them. As such, we are under no obligation to support any business, if we don't want to. Likewise, they don't have to support our aquarium club if they don't desire to. However, by supporting one another, both can mutually benefit.

Obviously, when all of us shop we try to get the best value for our $$$. My comments were to show how by supporting a club to increase interest in a "product" that the store sells will result in a net benefit to that store.

It is obvious that 'good will' comes into play here as well. For the same price at two given stores, I support the one I feel is doing the 'best' job. Sometimes too, a store owner may piss us off, and we can take business elsewhere, if that be our choice. Aren't basic economics fun? Now if I can find a store with great people, good customer support, and live rock for $1.50 a pound..... and who will put up with a nut like me!
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 12:45pm

Hey Adam,  im not saying we should get up in front of the store exactly and say Hell no we wont go, or stage a sit in.  Im just saying we can be somewhere in the vacinity.  Im not exactly sure who isnt supportive,  but if its a place like pet co, or pet smart as a non profit orginization you would be well within your rights to be in the parking lot.  Maybe its a silly idea,

But I would be there standing with you.  O captian my captian.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by sushi sushi wrote:

O captian my captian.

Sushi- Ding*.  Most intelligent reference I've heard all week.  Plus I like getting support.  I'm with ChemGuy on this.  I think we just stay clear of those stores.  We gave them a chance to partner, they declined, we go elsewhere. 

Some stores are doing very well because of our club.  It would be great if other stores wanted to reap those benefits as well.... alas they do not. 

Adam

sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 12:55pm

Yeah well,  i was only half serious anyway.  

Im not crazy
Jewnyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewnyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 1:00pm
Wow!  It's a reef tour right?  Hmmm, you would think Micheal Moore is coming to UVSC or something with all the hub-bub going on in here.  I would be more than happy to pass out reef tour flyers.  If a store does not want them, oh well, it's their perrogative.  I'll just hand them out somewhere else.  No big deal.  The club has been around for a while but it is still small.  We don't need reef tour flyers at pet stores to get more people into the club.  I got sushi, and Alex, signed up without even trying.  You gotta have the love for the hobby.  Some people just don't like Saltwater, oh well, what can we do?  The reef tour is a great thing, for club members, to go out and see different tanks, get ideas, meet new people, trade frags, fish, or whatever.  We need to just keep spreading the word about the club, we need to ease peoples "fears" about Saltwater tanks, i.e. money, hard to take care of, etc.  I was in the same mindset before I got started, till I got started, and even though it took a little bit of money (not what I thought it was going to cost) I got it going and I am very happy.  If we can do this, the club, as well as the reef tour will grow on their own.
"Your worst enemy could be your best friend, and your best friend your worst enemy"
[email protected] Sandy, UT
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 10:58pm
"Have you heard about the free Reef Aquarium Tour? Yeah here's a flyer."

It's that easy. I do it all the time. I walk into the LFS with a few in my hand. Careful though, be aware and sensitive that some people just don't like to be approached. I'm not sure what it is, fear mostly, I guess.

I also figured out how to print two flyers sideways on a sheet. It seems easier to hand out a half sheet.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic