Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upcoming Frag Fest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming Frag Fest
    Posted: December 02 2009 at 5:55pm
Just a thought but what if we took a pick of the item before we frag it or after while in the tank exc.. to put with each frag do we know what everything is/looks like when its HAPPYTongue
Any thoughts on this idea?

Edited by Rioreefer - December 02 2009 at 5:56pm
I dont mean to brag but, yeah it's 6ft long.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 6:03pm
I like it! For member donated frags it could be a prerequisite for getting in your five min early :P For stores that donate it might be a bit harder to get done unless we had members volunteer. 
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 6:26pm
Thanks jwoo

I would like to here from current and possible presidency on this idea if I could.
Is this something that could work?
Pros and Cons from people?
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 6:30pm
I really like this idea.  This is the second good I have heard this week.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 9:59pm
I think that is a great idea, I love it! I was so discouraged from buying anything last time because I had know idea what the stuff even looked like! 
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 10:15pm
Having participated in the prep for the last frag fest I can say that with the current process it is not likely that this can happen. Until I participated, I thought the same thing from the Jan09 event.

First off, there is a time crunch. Colonies are brought in and contributions are made at the 11th hour. Many different members picked up pieces from various LFS. The situation would take far more time and perfect conditions and coordination to happen the way it is done now. Imagine that this club member from the south, on their way to the central frag-house (sounds like we are doing something illegal - hehehe) they are asked to pick up corals from two donating utah county LFS. They would have to photograph the pieces, hopefully in good light and tanks, then they would have to be bagged and brought to the frag-house. At the frag house, the pics would have to be downloaded, resized, put in a PPT, etc. Trust me, it is a crazy scene.

Now, I am not saying that the way it is done now is the best or most efficient, but it has been done fairly successfully for years so I would be cautious on changes.

If colonies could be donated further in advance, and a member had a frag tank to store them in so that they could be photographed, cataloged, etc as they came in, maybe that would help, but that too presents a great deal of issues.

I suggest a few of you volunteer for the next pre-frag-fest prep, see what its about, and then we all might be able to make some suggestions by putting our heads together.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 10:19pm
Well, I would volunter to have all the frags stored in my tank until the next reef-fest.  LOL
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 9:40am
I can see last min donations from LFS is hard but anything being donated by a member, have the member take a pic of it befor the frag&bag. just a thought to get a few pics with a few items and it could show us if it would help the fragfest with sales or not. Take a pic tape it on bag it up. Id say we could vote on it to try even just for member donations but I dont want to write a 20 page detail list of who and how to vote cause I swear we live in florida and need itWink. Im up for any other ways or thoughts in this matter aswell.
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 9:58am
Another thought; to help get the excitment going on frag fest could we do a thread like we did for MWRF and the donors could post pics there of what they are donating and a name of it or way to ID it better in the bag So if we see it and want it we know what to look for. Because I know neon green singuleria looks great when happy but like a tiny slime ball when mad. Just trying to come up with ideas to better the worldLOL
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 1:56pm
I've helped with many frag fests...We always want pics of the corals (in a happy state).  As Terence, said, that has proven to be very difficult.  I believe there is a lot of improvements that can be made...but it takes volunteers to do it.

We typically start fragging at or before lunch time.  We all work pretty hard to frag, bag, and label everything.  Towards the end, w usually have someone preparing a short PPT presentation while everyone else finishes up.  Then we leave and go straight to the meeting.  Sometimes, it gets quite harried at the end, trying to finish on time.

We do show what pictures we can take or pull from the internet.  But, typically with the numbers of different varieties, people have a hard time remembering the "codes" for each frag, much less which picture it belonged to (if it even had one).

We often get some great ideas that would make it easier for the members....however, we still run out of time.  I personally have a lot of fun with the frag fests.  Both going to the meeting AND doing the work before hand.

In my opinion, the best way to improve the "process" is to get more people helping out.  I Know, I know, I wasn't there to help last time...sorry...I really couldn't make it.  But, its AWESOME when people, like Terence, not in the presidency come help out.  The more help we get, the quicker it will get done.  Then maybe we can implement some of the suggestions.

So, please, please, please...Come help out for January.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 3:00pm
Well I will volunteer to help cut, photograph, and whatever else needs to be done!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 3:22pm
I would like to volunteer to help with the fraging for frag fest in January!

I really like the whole picture idea as well, but don't think you could tag every bag. Maybe take pictures then print a copy of each coral and post it on the tables or on the wall at the meeting. It would take a lot of printing to tag every bag!

Edited by arthuriv - December 03 2009 at 9:33pm
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by arthuriv arthuriv wrote:

IMay be take pictures then print a copy of each coral and post it on the tables or on the wall at the meeting. It would take a lot of printing to tag every bag!

That is a great idea as well and shouldnt be to hard even if there are 6 pics and names per page exc. and then have the list on the table.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2009 at 6:20pm
I've been trying to brainstorm some ideas on this as well.  Please keep the ideas coming.  Even with a time crunch we may be able to figure something out when we put a bunch of ideas together.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 5:34am
the key will be with LFS donations. If someone can make the rounds the day before pickup to photo the pieces they are donating then they will look good. the next day, the LFS can bag them when we drop by to pickup...and then, we are not crunced for time to put the photos together. i also like the idea of requiring photos of corals donated for early entry.

finally, we need to better organize the auction. I think for the auction items we MUST have photos to maximize the return. Also, we need to have a bidding process that mimics what was done at reef-fest.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 10:05am
I believe the January auction will have the auction corals in the display tank, with lights, and with a silent auction sheet.  Those corals won't be in bags or auctioned off out loud.  Instead club members will have time to walk around and place bids for 30 minutes while also picking out other frags. 

Of course, the new presidency could decide to change that.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 10:35am
I like that idea Adam. ^^ Thumbs Up
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2009 at 4:59pm
I think that's a great idea
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
beller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:12am
I am new at the hobby and this will be the first meeting for me.  I dont know what alot of corals look like.  Do you have slides that can give a idea of what they look like?
I love fish I want them all.
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 6:17pm
That is just what we are trying to do. We are trying to find a way during the fraf fest to "see" the corals as they would be in a tank with the name not just a name and a squishy thing in a bag.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic