Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algae HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae HELP!
    Posted: December 05 2009 at 4:34pm
I am unsure of what kind of algae this is, but I am having some issues with it. I need to figure out what it is, and why it is growing in this frag tank, and not the other, and why it isn't growing in the display or sump, since they are all connected on the same system. I set up this tank 2 weeks ago and it is getting out of hand.

Curtis

Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 6:23pm
Well this might sound a bit crazy but paint the egg crate black and it should stop. I remember reading a thread on RC where people had the same problem and painted theirs black and it went away. You've got to give it a few day/weeks for the paint to fully cure though. Also adding a tang in the frag tank will help. I think the algae is your everyday bryopsis and a tang should keep it well managed.

Micah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 6:38pm
I have a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, and foxface in there. None of them are showing interest. I will read up on painting the eggcrate though.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 6:44pm
If it is bryposis tangs will not eat it. Pretty much nothing will. I'm not entirely convinced that it is - it looks like it one pic but the rest it doesn't. Maybe it's a different strand than what I had.

I did read a thread on RC that said egg crate can leak phosphates into the water so that may be why painting it can help.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 7:19pm
thats a crazy amount of growth in 2 weeks I would take the egg crate out and give it a good fresh water bath and scrub as much algae off but it will come back most likely
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

... RC that said egg crate can leak phosphates into the water so that may be why painting it can help.
No way. No offense, but that's simply not possible. I'm not a chemist but that sounds absolutely incorrect to me. That's the trouble with RC. A lot of dumb stuff is said there and nobody with brains has the time to monitor it all.

It's possible that a newly painted surface is still releasing some VOC's which would suppress algae growth. It's also probable that a hobbyist made other changes to suppress algae growth and the combination did the trick.

That algae has the appearance of a crooked hair algae and does not look like Bryopsis. It's possible that high Mg could affect it but I'll bet you have already increased the Mg, right.

Can you show a larger pic of the entire systemQuestion
Where does this tank sit in the system/water flowQuestion

This problem with eggcrate is exactly why I do not use it. Hermits and snails cannot easily climb up on it. If it is possible to remove the frags to the sand and discard the eggcrate, that is what I would do. It's only a matter of time before it will start up in other areas on other eggcrate. At least you can swap it for new eggcrate anytime the algae gets out of control like that.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 06 2009 at 6:31pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

... RC that said egg crate can leak phosphates into the water so that may be why painting it can help.
No way. No offense, but that's simply not possible. I'm not a chemist but that sounds absolutely incorrect to me. That's the trouble with RC. A lot of dumb stuff is said there and nobody with brains has the time to monitor it all.

It's possible that a newly painted surface is still releasing some VOC's which would suppress algae growth. It's also probable that a hobbyist made other changes to suppress algae growth and the combination did the trick.

That algae has the appearance of a crooked hair algae and does not look like Bryopsis. It's possible that high Mg could affect it but I'll bet you have already increased the Mg, right.

Can you show a larger pic of the entire systemQuestion
Where does this tank sit in the system/water flowQuestion

This problem with eggcrate is exactly why I do not use it. Hermits and snails cannot easily climb up on it. If it is possible to remove the frags to the sand and discard the eggcrate, that is what I would do. It's only a matter of time before it will start up in other areas on other eggcrate. At least you can swap it for new eggcrate anytime the algae gets out of control like that.Smile

I will try to get a pic tonight.

Yes I have high Mag already, 1500-1600 usually.

As the tank is plumbed there is a display upstairs, and a sump in the basement. Next to the sump is the frag tanks, which are 2 tank sitting on top of eachother (nothing in the top tank yet). The return pump tees to the frag tank and to the display and also to the skimmer. The drain comes from the display and so does the drain from the frag tanks.

In reguards to the eggrate, I may just remove it and use a sand bed. I always thought it looked nice, but I cant replace it all the time when it gets algae on it. If it is leaking phosphates, wont it stop over time?
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 7:27pm
Mark, I don't know about Snails not getting on egg-crate...on my mini-rack I cannot seem to keep them off and they knock over my frags. The hermits can't get on there, but the snails are always on it.

Maybe there is something with the lighting spectrum in that frag tank that is just what that algae likes but the lighting is different in other parts of the system? Maybe its that along with a longer light cycle that is helping to fuel the growth. 

Just throwing things out there. Thats a LOT of algae! There has to be a good amount of nutrients in the water to support that kind of growth rate.

If you do go back to a sand bed, why not put the egg crate just below the sand so that the frags still have something to lock into and they wont fall over. I have never heard of doing this, but I have thought about it in thinking how I am going to design my frag tank so I can get the best of both worlds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 8:49pm
I think my bulbs are a little on the older side, so maybe I will replace them. I still think that it has a lot to do with the phosphates that are leached by the eggcrate. In which case, it would not make sense to get rid of the eggcrate and use sand, but have the eggcrate in the tank on the sandbed.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 8:56pm
Also, could the egg crate possibly reflect or amplify a wavelength of light in particular that this algae likes? If you buried the eggcrate just below the surface of the sand so you push the plugs through the sand and then thrug the egcrate square but the egg crate is not visible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 10:54am
i think the issue is the eggcrate leaching PO4, so i would rather not have it in the system at all. the white definitely reflects more light than black would, but i have no idea if it is the wavelength or intesity that this algae likes, i think that algae just likes light and food...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

... I still think that it has a lot to do with the phosphates that are leached by the eggcrate. In which case, it would not make sense to get rid of the eggcrate and use sand, but have the eggcrate in the tank on the sandbed.
ConfusedThat statement makes no sense to me. If by some wild chance the eggcrate is leaching PO4, then it would make perfect sense to discard it.

You can do an easy test. I'd do two tests actually. Take some water, RO and saltwater. Test those for PO4 and then add a piece of that same eggcrate to each and after a week test the waters again. I would be curious to see the results. I know that polymers can be manufactured to slowly release algaecides and fungicides but to give off something that actually promotes algae growth...well maybe.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 07 2009 at 11:06am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 12:02pm
This is the best info I found and suggests that there is leaching, but only from the surface, so once the algae has consumed that PO4, then it will not leech any additional. Also, there is some info in here on the other nasties they spray on egg crate in the manufacturing process.

So, I would let the algae grow for a week or so, then take it our, bathe the egg crate in hydrogen peroxide, rinse, and reinstall.

Very interesting thread we have here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic