Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy with JBJ 28g LED tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phyre3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phyre3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy with JBJ 28g LED tank
    Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:21pm
Hello all,

This is a great place.  Anyway just purchased the JBJ all LED tank.  This will be my first reef tank and I'm pretty excited about it.  Any tips or tricks are appreciated.  I'll be looking for livestock soon too (hint, hint).  Just waiting for the cylce to complete with live rock and sand.  The 3 snails I put in are doing good eating the hair algae that srung up. 

I've also noticed random little things growing out of the live rock that look like coral, and an anenome, and maybe a red sponge? 

The LEDs look like a metal halide to me.

The reasons I wanted to try LED are.

1.  Low heat, so I don't have to buy a chiller
2.  Low power consumption
3.  The shimmer, and similar PAR to metal halide
4.  No bulb replacement for 50,000 hours
5.  No mercury

I guess if they last anywhere near as long as they are rated I'll have saved a bunch of money on bulbs.  So far I've gotten some mixed reviews some people saying they don't think they will work and others excited about their place in reef keeping. 

Thanks for the help

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:25pm
I dont know how these are going to be but I think LEDs are the way to go for nanos

re read your post I hope your anemone looking thing isnt aptaisa or majonos might not be spelled right but you should look for pics and get rid of it if it is

Edited by sanddune600 - December 11 2009 at 11:27pm
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:28pm
I think that most of us are interested in LED tanks.. so create a tank setup and blog, and take all of us along for the ride. We have only seen a couple local complete LED setups, and i for one am looking forward to seeing the progress of yours.

Also welcome to the WMAS, great club and friends that will help you every step of the way
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:32pm
jpndave has a 8 gallon nano that he put leds in months ago now if he can just aquascape it and fill it he will have a killer nano
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:33pm
Welcome!
Do you have any pics? I'm interested in following the progess of your tank. I think LEDs look better for reef tanks all the time. I would like to setup a tank with them but right now I only have room for the one tank.
phyre3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phyre3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:49pm
Thanks, for the welcome. I will post pictures when I get my new camera (old one got drowned).   So far it looks great.  I looked for LED aquarium lights online and finally found this one that wasn't a billion dollars.  Snelson brought it in for me and set it up and I can hardly wait to get some corals in it to see how they do.

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2009 at 11:56pm
Glad to see you found the site and glad the snails are alive! LOL

Can't wait to get you some fish and corals next time you drop by.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 1:18am
Welcome!

LED's seem to be on the leading edge of lighting right now so I'd be interested in seeing your set up.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 6:17am
Lots of tips and tricks and links to other tips and tricks can be found here:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 7:57am
Welcome phyre3!

Mike

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 9:40am
Welcome Phyre3,

Good to see another Utah County Reefer in the mix. I have the JBJ 28G CFL and recently saw the new LED model. I got in about 8 months to early.

Here is a quick reference post I started a little while ago. Lots of good info including Marks tank setup thread. http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36778&PID=328972#328972

When your ready I'll set you up with a few good frags cheep. I really want to see how they grow under the LED's.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 9:46am
Good luck with the tank.  I am also very interested in how well these LEDs work.  Welcome to the board!
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2009 at 11:17am
Oh trust me it is a nice tank. It has a lot of glow to it. I think that he will be able to grow anything he wants in this little tank. I think I am going to get a nano going again after seeing his. Oh welcome to the board, I am glad to see you made your self an account.
sgoldman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgoldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 11:25am
I am starting to look at reef tanks and the LED tank looks like a really good possibility.  I am curious where you purchased it.

Thanks,  Steve
phyre3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phyre3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 2:41pm
Snailson on this board gave me a great deal.  He is a dealer for these and runs a maintenence company as well as selling livestock.  I can forward you his contact info if you need it message me. 

I really do like this tank and so far (1 month set up about) my tank seems to be doing good.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic