Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenia Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenia Troubles
    Posted: December 13 2009 at 3:18pm
So I have a story I thought I'd share.  I feel kind of stupid with this because with all my years in the hobby I never figured this out before. 

With my current tank I can't keep xenia.  I've tried a few frags here and there, they last a day, two days at most.  I looked for the standard issues; temperature, lack of light, etc.  No luck. 

So recently I decided to try a whole rock with xenia.  Acclimated it in my coral tank, kept it for weeks.  Then decided to move it to my main tank.  I watched my three long spine urchins find the rock within minutes and devour the xenia.  All three climbed right on it and just ripped it from the rock. 

Duh, how could I have not figured that out before?  Let that be a lesson to you... xenia and long spine urchins don't go together. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
IFbettas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IFbettas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 3:35pm
That's interesting!

I don't have any urchins, but I can still only barely keep xenia alive. For some reason it just doesn't like my tank. Right now I have one piece, which I got in February, that hasn't grow a bit. I guess that's better than having it take over everything, but I would still like to see some growth out of it. 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 3:47pm

That's good to know. I wonder if that is what happened to Bob's Xenia too.

Mike

Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 4:32pm
Very interesting and good to know.  I had xenia take over a tank and I couldnt control it by pulling it off the rock.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 4:40pm
I've always been able to pull the xenia completely off the rock. It must be the type I have.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 5:59pm
My tank grows silvertip and redsea no prob, but the pompom always melts away within a week. Ive tried 3 times. Its a total mystery.
Life is good....right?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 7:03pm
I have had Xenia and long spine urchins in the same tank any they both have done great.  I have no doubt that they make have bulldozed over them a couple of time, but I don't think they were really ever eating them.  Adam, maybe your long spines are starving.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 7:11pm
Jake- that is a good point!  I too wassurprised to see this.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 7:35pm
I have xenia, silver branching and pompom, and a longspine sea urchin. So far I haven't seen the urchin show any interest in the xenia, but it has only been a week since I added the urchin, and I hardly ever know where he's at anyways. My xenia are on kindof their own little island, to keep them from spreading like weeds, and maybe this will keep the urchin away from it too. Very interesting Adam.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 8:07pm
Adam, I just wanted to let you know that the Pom Pom you helped me out with melted away but the piece that fell off is thriving.  I have seperated it and it is now sending out new sprouts.  I also have a larger Pom Pom that is also doing well.  Thanks, Glen.
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 9:38pm
Adam, I agree with Jake, your urchins may be starving.

For anyone interested in the strangeness of Xenia, see "Lessons of Xenia" in this issue of the Sea Star:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic