Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supplemental light suggestion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supplemental light suggestion?
    Posted: December 26 2009 at 9:32am
I got my Christmas lights on my 90g tank yesterday.  I got a pair of the 150w Oddysea pendants (15k) that each have 28w of Actinic.  I also have 2x96w of PC at the rear of the tank.  In putting things back together I cracked one of my PC bulbs so I need to go ahead and order at least one new bulb.

Shoud I look to maximize Actinic and put 2 full actinic bulbs back there, or should I look at a different combo to maximize my color?  Currently I have one that has a pink color and the other is 2 shades of blue.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 9:55am
It all comes down to personal taste. How did you like the color of the light before? Depending on how you liked the color go with white, 50-50, or actinic.

Mike

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 10:07am
I like vibrant color in my tanks. The pink tubes (Actinic White) combined with Actinic do it for me.
I would choose from the last four types on this page: http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Replacement_Bulbs/Power_Compact_Fluorescent/
I am very familiar with the 12,000K/Super Actinic also known as Actinic White/Super Actinic but the 14,000K/SuperActinic could be worth checking out. Too bad they don't have photos. 

Here is a pic of the competitor product, the Helios brand "Ultra Grow" bulb from Commodity Axis. Unfortunately, it does not have the internal reflector design of the UV Lighting tubes offered at ReefGeek.
The fascinating thing about this blue-pink color combo is that together it reflects a white light that accentuates the reds, blues, greens and yellows.

I really don't understand why the PC tube color combo below seems to be so popular. IMO the color reflection from white-blue tends to appear washed out:

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 27 2009 at 5:28pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2009 at 5:31pm

So there are actually 4 choices, the three mentioned by Mike and the fourth, my preference, the combination of Actinic White and Super Actinic also known as Pink-Blue.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic