Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictorial history of Mark's reefs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictorial history of Mark's reefs
    Posted: December 29 2009 at 11:38pm

This is for those who have asked to see my tanks. Unfortunately I have pics of only some of my tanks over the years.Smile

1993-1995
55 gal plenum system. Sorry no pics, but this story http://www.garf.org/ugly.html

1996-2002
75 gal with DSB and RDP Refugium with Plenum, six NO Flourescent tubes, Two powerheads. During this time I built a three tank system in the downstairs office where I began to seriously farm coral. Sorry no pics.

10 gal with no external filtration, one 36W PC Helios brand pink-blue tube, 2 powerheads. The full description of this tank which was WMAS Tank Of the Month for July 2003 is over to the left on the TOTM tab.

2004 - 2007
75 gal with RDP Refugium and DSB's(Deep Sand Beds). Lighting was morning sun until noon, supplemented with four VHO later adding two 175W 14K MH. Connected to a 40 gal Frag Tank lighted by a 400W 20K MH
 Above is how it started out with a quick algae bloom that was solved by adding clams as seen below.

Coral farming made a good supplemental income during this timeBig smile

2006 - 2007
120 gal with RDP Refugium, DSB and "floating" suspended reef. Lighting was the fixture from above, four VHO and two 175W 14K MH

2 gal Nano set up to show wife Donna how cute Nemo can be. (She took the baitSmile)
55 gal with shallow Red Sandstone Sand Bed, HOB filter and a Poormans wavemaker powerhead at one end. Lighting was two VHO tubes, 1 Actinic White and 1 Super Actinic

2008-2009
75 gal, DSB, sunlight all day with two VHO tubes, no Refugium or other external equipment, three powerheads. This was TOTM for November 2008 but never got published.
(more pics to come in later posts)

30 gal, DSB, lighting was two 65W PC (1 Actinic, 1 Pink-Blue), one powerhead, no other equipment

2010-2011
Mountain West Frag Fest Contest to see who could make the best looking aquascape. The Contest Judge said he had never seen anything like it, but could not award it first place because it was cluttered with too much rock underneath the the floating mountains of Pandora (He had not seen the movie Avatar Shocked)

Sand and rock from both states made this Hawaii-Utah 9 gal tank unique. Locally raised RBTA'a and my own baby Nemos along with locally grown coral made this tank special to me.
The water movement at the surface is wavy and turbulent because of the single powerhead at the bottom hidden behind the rocks shooting a jet of water straight up. This water movement is inexpensive, yet ideal for tank health. The HOB filter was there 2 weeks every month to run Activated Carbon, an absolute necessity for all reef aquariums.

100+ gal frag tank with absolutely quiet siphon/herbie style overflow and return water again shooting straight up creating a marvelous turbulent wave action. Of all the tanks pictured above plus many not pictured, this was the only one that needed a Skimmer (because of some dead dried LR that I had taken in to bring back to life.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 08 2016 at 8:55pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
OceanBlueSky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OceanBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 1:10am
I've still got your big leather. It's cool to see it 5+ years ago.

Edited by OceanBlueSky - December 30 2009 at 1:11am
Arthur
220 Reef, 90 Lightning & RBTA, 7 nano
paleohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paleohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 5:07pm
Very nice tanks!
Collecting for the public to see!
ScratZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScratZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 5:42pm
Looks nice!  I love the progression over the years!
Humor is in the eye of the beholder, and D@mn I'm funny! :)

Owner of five fish and NO tank!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 9:25am
I swear I saw a panther grouper in there...but he kept hiding behind a yellow tang.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 10:00am

They are beautiful aren't they. Do you have one? Pics please Mr. V.P. Thumbs Up

Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 10:05am
I gotta admit that suspended reef is pretty freakin cool
Life is good....right?
Desertreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 11:34pm

I wish I could get one of my tanks to look like that.

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

I gotta admit that suspended reef is pretty freakin cool

x2
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:34am
Happy New Year to my friend who helped me get started all those years ago... how have you been Mark? Thanks for posting, brought back many happy memories of hanging out and reef talk :)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 9:32pm
Hello Shibaji,
It's wonderful to hear from you. Happy New Year to you and your wife as well.
Thank you for taking some marvelous pictures of my tanks in Bountiful during Reef Tour 2006. I use those pics frequently for reference. Some are above.
How is the cold Midwest?
Please post pics of your upcoming tank.

Here are two of your individual closeups that I like. Remember the "trench" that nemo and Dory were supposed to go through not over? Here is the pic you took, looking through the "trench" in the 75 in the window:

Here is the Tomato Clown in the Klyxum Coral in the 120 floating reef:
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2010 at 7:42pm
Hello Mark! I remember your tanks and all the great advice thru the years.  Happy New Year to you....my friend.
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 2:48pm
Thanks for all the kind comments.
I've recently upgraded
WinkMy latest full tank pic.

And a recent pic from inside my newest tank in the sun:

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 6:04pm

THAT is one monster of a clam haha!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 2:29am
It was a pleasure to care for that Squamosa Clam which was given to me by a friend.
Right in front you can see a green Brain and pink Bubble coral. These were just a few of the coral that rescued and brought back to full bloom. The morning sun that came in from the window on the left side was one of the biggest reasons for the success. Smile
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 1:45pm
Ive had the pleasure of seeing most of these tanks in person and maybe ill have to come check out your latest tank as wellWink
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic--Arthur C. Clarke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic