Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Desertreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snails
    Posted: December 30 2009 at 9:00pm
Hey I was just wondering what kind of snails everyone likes and why.  I am needing to add some to my tank and being new I don't know which are best.  Thanks.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 6:37am
Cerith, Margarita and Astrea are the most common and a combination of all three seems to do the best job in my opinion. Within a month of setting up a reef aquarium it's recommended that one snail per gallon is added to ensure the prevention of algae problems.
Half as many Hermit Crabs of various kinds; red leg, blue leg, or scarlet, is my recommendation.

Hermits and Snails do pass away so it's a good idea to replenish their numbers every 3-6 months as needed. As a tank matures it may need less snails but be careful, because too few snails commonly leads to a bloom of nuisance algae.Ouch

Cerith Snails, a few Bumblebee Snails

Margarita Snails

Astrea Snails

This was "Fast Eddie"

A Red Leg Hermit getting a back rub from an Orange Linkia Sea Star

Here is a Scarlet Hermit Crab in a shell covered with old growth Coralline Algae.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 31 2009 at 7:51am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic