Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zero snails / Zero crabs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zero snails / Zero crabs?
    Posted: December 31 2009 at 10:20am
I hear alot of recommendations for so many snails and crabs per gallon to control algae. I have "0" of both. Other than algae (which I do not have a problem with) and left over food sitting around (which usually doesn't happen due to infrequent feedings) - any other benefit? If not- I'll stick with my "0" count. 
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 10:33am
I don't really want to be the only one that answers this but before I log off for the day, I'll add my 2 cents
I'll bet there is something in there eating algae before you even see it.
You may have Stomatella and/or Collinista snails. You may have Amphipods and Copepods galore. The lighting may not be so bright to create an algae problem. You may not have an overbalance of carnivores. All these things add up, but to ensure that a new tank does not get an unexpected algae bloom, some kind of small herbivores are a must. In the wild at the surf zone, I have counted one snail every 6 inches or so. Have a great day.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 10:36am
I'm in the same boat Dave. I have a few stomatellas and Collonistas and a small Chiton but no larger snails or algae problems.

Mike

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 2:21pm
I like my snails and a few crabs. When friends come to view the tank and they start looking closely they find are as delighted to find the Hermits, Emerald Crab and Peppermint Shrimp as they were when they first saw the fish and corals. If it helps keep the tank clean all the better.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 3:06pm
I agree.  They are just another fun thing to watch in the tank.  My 2 year old loves them.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 3:58pm
My current set up has been running about 5 years now & about the only algae I have is the coralline algae growing on the rocks and the back of the tank.

I do have a handful of those very small snails Mike referred to.

I have a tuxedo urchin, cleaner shrimp and a brittle star fish I love to watch. At one time we had a couple of crabs living in shells that looked like miniature versions of moose horns (no idea what these crabs were called). I also have had emerald crabs that I enjoyed watching hang off the rocks to catch food passing by (along with an occasional reach for smaller fish), they also seemed to rid my tank of any bubble algae that occasionally appeared after buying new coral pieces.

I appreciate the input. Maybe in the future I will invest in some crabs/snails purely for the aesthetic enjoyment.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 4:20pm

Having seen your tank I have to admit it looks great. I didn't see any need for additional cleanup crew but it is fun to watch the delight of guests as they continue to find new life as they watch the tank.

BTW those Blue Zoo's are doing great in my frag tank. Thanks
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic