Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Meeting (May 1st)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Meeting (May 1st)
    Posted: April 04 2003 at 11:06am

I suggest we have a reef frag fest for our next meeting (or call it a frag swap meet) if the topic still hasent been determined.  It seems there are a number of us that have coral frags we'd like to sell/trade with each other and the meeting makes it easy to hook up.  A lot of people do this anyway during the meeting but if all those making frags were to bring a few the variety would be awesome.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 6:47pm
Another suggestion for May's meeting: everyone bring a cup or two of substrate from their tank (refugium or whatever). We throw it into a bucket, mix it up real good like and those who brought sand take out the same qty that they added.

Imagine the slurry we could come up with! Full of biodiversity (and fish poop).
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 6:53pm
I can dig it! Or scoop it or what ever.
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 8:56am
I do like Shane's idea on the sand.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 9:53am
I just posted the same idea on another thread. I saw the sand Idea from the Boise club. The ony thing they do different is let the soup grow for awhile before redistributing.  Do you think that would help or not?
Cell 801 860-7333
jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 12:40pm
I like the sand swap idea too.
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 12:50pm
Personally I don't think it would make a lot of difference where you let it grow.  I think if it is mixed together well we could all start benefiting from it immediately.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 2:51pm
I also like this idea.  I will bring 3 cups  or more (if requested) of my 3 year old sand.  I have some sand from Hawaii also in there.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 4:51pm
 I am in for bringing sand. I think its a great idea. We should do it on a regular biasis like once or twice a year.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2003 at 8:59am
 So I took a cup of sand out of my 10 gallon for the sand swap. I put the cup of mixed sand in my now cycling 125 after the meeting. I was looking at it today and there is a mushroom growing on the sand bed. Cool the first coral in my tank. The only thing is the  amonia is down but the nitrite and nitrate are still very high! Think I should leave this guy  in there? Also I wish more people would have participated in the sand mix. I think it was a great idea.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 10:56am
I brought in 3 cups and took 2 cups home.  I also thought it was a great idea.  I would leave the mushroom in the tank.
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 6:56pm

I have a question about swapping sand.  I can see that by swapping sand it has the possibility of adding a diversity of benificial critters to your tank and if you are just starting up it can jump start your system.  On the other hand it would seem like you have the possibility of adding some unwanted organisms and parisites to your tank.  My question is whether trying to add the diversity of different tanks is worth the risk? 

I have not yet set up a tank and am wondering if this is a risk worth tanking when starting my tank or if just starting with live rock would be a better solution.

Just wanting peoples opinoins,  Thanks.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 10:16pm

Great question Kevin!!!  I for one am skeptical and I am surprised at how enthusiastic some people are too swap sand.  Here is what I say....

If you are new or your tank is not perfect then trade some sand around.  But if you have a great looking tank (as many people here do) then why chance anything.  So for me, I don't want to add sand unless I see the tank it came out of.  But hey, that's just me and my $.02.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 10:34pm
 Kevin ,   Some times in life you just gotta take some risks.  I dont think that anyone in the club would intentionally spread a parisite. Its just as possible to get something unwanted from a pet store. Look at me I did the sand swap and ended up with a hitchiking mushroom pretty cool. I went and got sand from adam and got a whole lot of cool critters. I think its not as big a deal as you think.  My 2 cents on setting up your tank is get some sand from other people in the club. It will help jump start your tank.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 8:01am

Kevin,

IMO, if I'm starting a new tank then I'd try to get some "used" sand.  It'll help speed up the cycle and the odds of getting something bad from the sand is probably as likely as getting something bad from the live rock.

The other issue when trading sand... I've been reading more and more that DSBs are the depository of the heavy metals we add to our tank.  From that perspective it may not be wise to trade with someone with a long established tank... or it could all be bunk .  The other issue for me anyways, is that the sand recieved from the trade may not be the "type" of sand I want in my tank.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 10:31am

I've just gotta say something here.

Did anyone think that the purchased LR is just as likely, or even more likely, to have unwanted critters!

And what is it you are afraid of getting? One bad organism out of hundreds of good ones?

Come on now, Really... 

Save a reef - grow your own!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 3:59pm

Mark Mark Mark,

Even you have to admit that for some people (Lopez, Fletcher, Williams,...) the worst possible thing they could do is to add some sand from someone elses tank.  That would be a huge mistake. It is that change that causes people to say "what did I do to my beautiful tank", or "where did these planaria come from" or "I never had aiptasia until now" or whatever else.

IF YOUR TANKS LOOKS GOOD, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 4:29pm

Adam,

I took 3 cups of my sand and took two cups out of the bucket.  I have done this four different times with club members.  I even have sand from Hawaii.  Right now, I am finding nothing wrong with trading sand.  There could be a day when I get something bad, that will be sad.  Most contentious reef keepers know when they have something bad (planaria,aiptasia, and other things).

John

paulb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 8:07pm

Ooohh,My turn, My turn! IMO trading sand is not a good idea. I have heard numerous times that when you buy a new fish or coral, that you should NEVER add thier water to yours for fear of adding bad things. The sand should be no different. But as I have learned about this hobby, almost everything is based on opinion. Just because I wouldn't chance adding bad things to my tank, didn't stop me from bringing sand/crushed coral for everyone else to use for there tanks. If you feel like sand swapping, good luck to you, hope it works out. But it definately isn't worth the risks for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic