Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Tank Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

I bought an acrylic router bit, and a guide for my router, so basically I'll just attach the guide and follow the lines drawn on w/ a sharpie, the guide will keep all the cuts an even length 

OK, I am still having a little difficulty visualizing it. On most routers the base keeps the bit 3 to 4 inches away from any inside corner, also most routers are taller than the depth of the overflow so you couldn't run the router inside the overflow. That's why I was wondering if you were using a laminate trimmer with an offset bit.

I'm sure you have figured it out so I'll just watch and see how it works for you. If you do have difficulty in the corners I have a laminate trimmer that takes standard 1/4" bits with the offset attachment. It will enable you to get the bit within 1/2" of the inside corners. It's at my office in LA but I could bring it home when we have to bring our car back to Utah for inspection next month.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 4:09pm
My dad wanted a mangrove bucket like mine. We decided to make it a bit better than a bucket. It is about 6 gallons and fits perfect on a small table from Ikea. The edges don't look as nice as yours but I'm learning. He will probably only have mangroves in the back half and maybe some algae and stuff to display in the front.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 9:25pm
Looks good! All I can say on the edges is practice makes perfect. I'm working on the plumbing right now actually sop I'll post pics tonight.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 10:09pm
I updated the pics with returns installed. I'm open to suggestions on the drain

Edited by CapnMorgan - January 15 2010 at 10:20pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 10:13pm

Looks good! All I can say on the edges is practice makes perfect.

Amen to that on acrylic work.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 10:17pm
Are you going to do a Dursa to minimize gurgle? Or if that doesn't fit you could do the HOF gurgle buster. Both can be easy DIY projects.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 10:20pm
After some deliberation I have decided to use the Hofer Gurgle Buster

Edited by CapnMorgan - January 15 2010 at 10:51pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
GUNDLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUNDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 1:03pm
keep pics coming bro..................

soon we shall conquer, were working on redsea tom..

Shes about ready my boy...........
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 5:58pm
Just finishing up the stand now, I'll have her filled with water tonight! Pics coming soon.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:59am
Pics updated. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
iriedodge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriedodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 1:23am

Pics updated. 

Where are the pics posted?
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 1:29am
on page #1 / I'm gonna try the hgb too!

Edited by kody72 - January 17 2010 at 1:34am
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 1:57am
I really like the HGB so far, the adjustable flow rate takes some getting used to but it is dead silent. Plus it takes up almost no extra room.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 11:08am
To All, I have seen this set-up and it is amazing, very nice Steve.Clap
I look forward to seeing it filled with frags.Big smile

Edited by PhotoGlen - January 17 2010 at 11:11am
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:25pm
Pump is now running at full speed. This tank can move TONS of water. Updating Pics now.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 1:58pm
It looks great and you did a nice job cutting the overflow comb. I would have cut them prior to assembaly but it worked out great. Now I am anxious to see it filled up with livestock.Thumbs Up
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 2:05pm
Thanks Burt, I really appreciate it! I learned my lesson from this and will cut all my overflows completely before assembling the tank next time LOL. They didn't turn out perfect, but it could have been much much worse, hindsight is 20/20 right? I am also excited to start stocking it. I'll hopefully have most of the sand squared away tomorrow, and can hopefully finish the cycle and begin adding livestock by 30th or 31st.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 8:31pm
So I have all the sand and everything going but wasn't able to take any pics before I had to head into work, so I'll update more pics tomorrow. I also reserved the first addition to the tank, I'll post pics of him tomorrow as well.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 7:28pm
Updated pics
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Wudan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 10:59am
That is one sweet looking tank.  Those joints are very very impressive.

So the acrylic place cut the pieces for you?  Did you have to spruce up the edges much?
The coolest members of the club have anemone fish avatars!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic